Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 08:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Most Americans also say it's a good idea to drink less, exercise frequently and stop smoking.

Actual reality has proven otherwise with regards to whom sells the cheapest as well as the others I mentioned.
Yeah, Americans say a lot of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 09:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
As China became the world’s largest manufacturer, its population prospered.

The single largest market for cars and commercial aircraft is China. Boing’s future has long been tied to the future pipeline of orders from China.

How many cheap toasters does it take to match the cost of a single commercial aircraft?

Then there’s the soybeans. The US competes with a handful of countries in South America.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:10 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
US public already voted with their dollars, they chose China, try something else, because just expecting the US consumers to suck it up isn't going to succeed. I don't care what the poll says, because people say loads of things, then actually see the cost, and change their minds.
I think what Americans want is for OTHER Americans to buy American-made goods. But they want to spend their dollars on whatever they feel like.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:23 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,525,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
You know nothing about World War 2, do you? The American production lines spun on a dime from manufacturing consumer goods to making war time goods.

The only raw materials China has more of than the USA are Rare Earth Minerals, but we have a massive mine out west that hasn't had 1 shovel stuck in the ground yet. I dont think we know how much is there.

We refine almost no rare Earth minerals, and that must stop NOW. We recycle some, but ship the ore's to China to be refined, and then they are shipped back to us. REM's are our #1 exposure, and that is one area that can't spin on a dime.
so why haven't we? because it's not profitable to do so when your competitor is doing it for a fraction of what it costs us.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:50 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,525,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am hoping the way China has acted during this pandemic (that they caused) with disinformation, hording PPE's, and threatening to cut off our access to medicine has taken the blinders off people.

People around the world apparently have forgotten or just didn't care it is a communist regime, who oppresses it's own people, and has long reaching goals to dominate the world.

So saving a few bucks here and there is not worth it. That combined with much of their products being made with inferior materials and detail makes it an easy decision.

`
1. no evidence that china "caused" the pandemic. all evidence so far supports the theory that it is naturally occurring.
2. no evidence that china hoarded PPE (for malicious or retaliatory reasons)
https://www.piie.com/blogs/trade-and...ray-hope#_ftn1

Old 05-27-2020, 10:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
No surprise, but the problem is in finding things you need that are made here. I remember a TV on display with the box having big letters "Assembled in USA" and below in tiny print "from parts made in China." The same applies to many other items , like the Whirlpool refrigerator, stove and dishwasher which we have.They advertise "Made in USA" even on the front panel, but their parts come from various countries including China and Mexico. We bough a Lodge cast iron dutch oven with porcelain inside because their factory is in Tennessee, and has been since 1896. When we used it the first time a big hunk of the white porcelain came off. When I looked on the box for an address to complain, I saw "Made in China." Apparently only the bare cast iron ones are made in the Tennessee factory.

Last edited by Hemlock140; 05-27-2020 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-27-2020, 12:30 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Nearly every producing country is capable of producing high quality and crap. Depends on the job specifications.

There are some US manufactured bedding companies in the US. The cotton is typically grown in California. The business relies on custom industrial robotics to create the fabric and focuses on e- commerce sales. Such bedding sells for multiples of what most consumers are willing to pay for bedding at say Bed/ Bath, Kohl’s or Overstock like online retailers.

The My Pillow guy claims his pillows are made in the US. He does not mention the contents are imported. He expanded to sheets made in Egypt from cotton grown, harvested, spun and woven in Egypt.

Middle Aged Mom, you sure sound very unhappy with life. You spend your days trying to do everything you can to **** on good news about the USA. Now you hate on My Pillow guy because he supports Trump. Lighten up. It's not all doom & despair.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 05-27-2020 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-27-2020, 12:38 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
People keep saying China is getting expensive and I get that. But there are plenty of Asian country with strong ties to China that would pickup where China left off.

Chinese businesses do not care where they manufacture as long as they make money and keep cost below what the US can do.

China would make their crap on the moon and send it to you via a Amazon spaceship if that is what it takes to be first in a profitable market with low labor cost.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
To be fair I don’t think so they might say that until they have to take out their wallet and pay made in America prices
Bottom line Americans don’t want to pay Americans for their stuff
This decision was made in 1968 when all the auto plants and steel mills moved to Asia
That was the end of Americans getting paid american wages

Old 05-28-2020, 08:33 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,880,794 times
If most of them would....why don't they?

I do - when I can. But I confess, I'm able to. Not everyone wants to spend $500 on a tool kit that costs $50 at Harbor Freight. But that's the kind of change it takes.

Interestingly - lots of things ARE available that do NOT cost more (or much more). Seek those out - and buy them.

Simple things - like a cast iron pan. Buy a Lodge / USA. For a $20 item, there is no real reason to buy Chinese. If you can't afford $20 - you can't afford a cast iron pan. Simple things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies