Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: News and a Question, Do you try not to buy products made in China?
Yes 19 70.37%
No 8 29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:58 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,640 times

Advertisements

I will not shop at walmart, but not because it has made in china products, I find that reason not to shop absurd. I will not shop there because it is a terrible shopping experience, and some of the products are of low quality.

I will buy good shopping/return experience, good quality, good price, costco fits the bill for me.

China is where Japan's image used to be, where Made in Japan used to mean inferior products, but China is accelerating already compare to how long Japan took to achieve that status.

I believe the market will correct itself as we demand better quality products, even though our trade with China is out of balance.

And actually many of the products are already pretty good. I am glancing around my desk, my phone, my computer, my laptop, my cell phone, my table, my mouse, my keyboard, my mouse, my charger, my camera, my executive chair, my bookshelf, my printer, my office supplies are all made in china and they are not half bad. It seems only my magazines and books and bottled water are made in the US. I think my carpet is made in US too.

I went to check my sofa and armchair, I thought they were comfortable and of good quality, must be made in the US, couldn't find the tag on the sofa, but the armchairs are made in China. My entertainment center, made in china. My dining table, made in finland. My dining chairs, made in china. My HDTV, made in china. That is a lot of made in china. My washing machine. Made in US. Finally huh. My bed frame, made in china. But my mattress, made in US. My rug, made in US. Another win. My other rug, china. VCR, China. Tivo, Korea.

Last edited by person; 07-02-2007 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:11 PM

467 posts, read 325,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
I will not shop at walmart, but not because it has made in china products, I find that reason not to shop absurd. I will not shop there because it is a terrible shopping experience, and some of the products are of low quality.

I will buy good shopping/return experience, good quality, good price, costco fits the bill for me.

China is where Japan's image used to be, where Made in Japan used to mean inferior products, but China is accelerating already compare to how long Japan took to achieve that status.

I believe the market will correct itself as we demand better quality products, even though our trade with China is out of balance.

And actually many of the products are already pretty good. I am glancing around my desk, my phone, my computer, my laptop, my cell phone, my table, my mouse, my keyboard, my mouse, my charger, my camera, my executive chair, my bookshelf, my printer, my office supplies are all made in china and they are not half bad. It seems only my magazines and books and bottled water are made in the US. I think my carpet is made in US too.

I went to check my sofa and armchair, I thought they were comfortable and of good quality, must be made in the US, couldn't find the tag on the sofa, but the armchairs are made in China. My entertainment center, made in china. My dining table, made in finland. My dining chairs, made in china. My HDTV, made in china. That is a lot of made in china. My washing machine. Made in US. Finally huh. My bed frame, made in china. But my mattress, made in US. My rug, made in US. Another win. My other rug, china. VCR, China. Tivo, Korea.
Hi Person:

I can understand you being content with the quality of goods you are getting from China. I guess what rubs me the wrong way is that once upon a time those items were made in the US. The factories closed and the jobs went to China. I would much rather have a TV, phone, charger, chair, computer, etc made here.

I'm not against global trade, but there is something to be said for trying to keep manufacturing jobs alive and well in our country. I'm willing to pay more for my New Balance shoes as long as I find the ones actually made in the US. I'm willing to pay more so that those workers keep their jobs, health care, and house.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:43 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
One of the worst things about Wal-Mart is they force many businesses to lower their prices to the extent that the company must then either outsource their manufacturing to countrys like China or skimp on quality. Either way - we get screwed as Americans whose jobs are either going over seas or we're getting substandard items.

Rubber Maid went out of business due to this practice.

The answer is to NOT shop at Wal-Mart
Haven't been in a Wal-Mart in many years, and haven't missed it one bit. Ever since the Sam W died the new guard is buy mostly Made in China, Sam tired to buy American.
I live for the day Wal-Mart starts closing stores ... I may never see it, but history shows they all stumble at some point.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:03 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
I try to avoid buying "made in China" as much as I can, and I am perfectly willing to pay more for goods produced in the US or Europe. My main beef is the sweat shop labor, which I try my best to NOT support. And I don't shop at Mall-Wart either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies