Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 PM

292 posts, read 544,176 times

Advertisements

If we legalize marriage for homosexual couples all throughout the country, then shortly after polygamists would likely be fighting to legalize polygamy saying that they're not treated like equals in our society. There has recently been a fight by polygamist and homosexuals in Canada to legalize polygamy there, which could be a possibility. If polygamy does get legalized, that may eventually mean that we would have to legalize all sorts of marriages of any kinds of beings with any amounts. Does that mean we would have to legalize marriages between humans and animals, or humans and robots or marriages between animals and robots or marriages between animals? Or how about allow women to have multiple husbands and allow marriages between siblings, brother and brother, or sister and brother or sister and sister or let all of the siblings form one big polygamy marriage group. Or get rid of the minimum marrying age to allow people of all ages to get married without their parents' permission and allow marriages between 90 year olds to 10 year olds. Then allow marriages between sons and mothers or sons and father or marriages between nieces and uncles or grandparents with their grand kids all because "love is love"?

The list just goes on and on. What I'm saying is, if one group fights for marriage "equality" and marriages for them become legalized, then all sorts of other people and groups will want to fight for that too. And homosexual people are allowed to get married, just not to people of their gender though.

So, that's why I believe in marriage being between one man and one woman and are not blood related in any way. But unfortunately, about 40% of marriages eventually end in divorce, but that's a whole other story though.

You people can bash me and call me old fashioned and bigoted or whatever. But this is how I feel about this topic, you may disagree and that's perfectly fine with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 08:28 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
I wonder what it's like to be a heterosexual who feels threatened by homosexuals. Oops. Never mind. I can just read posts like the one above.

Seriously, I understand why some people feel threatened, but there's no need to be afraid. Ask people in the states where same-sex marriage is legal. Most of them probably don't even know any same-sex couples. It only affects their lives in that they are being forced to confront their feelings about homosexuality. I understand why that's scary to a lot of people.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 PM

292 posts, read 544,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I wonder what it's like to be a heterosexual who feels threatened by homosexuals. Oops. Never mind. I can just read posts like the one above.
Where'd you get the idea I felt threatened by homosexuals?

Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
I am okay with polygamy if everyone consents...unfortunately, the polygamy we have today, is the "forced" type... it seems very easy for a polygamy community to start forcing children to marry whoever someone else chooses... sorry, but polygamy is fine but a community of them is self-destructive... that's why I don't agree with polygamy communities... abuse comes to easy for them much more than the average community (heterosexual)... as for homosexuals, if they want to be together and we have seen that homosexuals communities don't explode with abuse (like polygamy) so I am fine with it... bottom line: they aren't all apples... sexual deviancy can be apples and oranges as well (i.e. polygamy is not the same as homosexuality when they form in communities)...

Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
Well if your making absurd comparisons between gays & polygamy.....

Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
If you were simply against same-sex marriage on its own, I wouldn't be so inclined to believe that you feel threatened, but when you say that it will lead to incest, bestiality, and polygamy, it seems a lot more likely that you do feel threatened by it.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:44 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,500 times
I think everyone has a right to their own opinion.

I personally believe everyone has a right to love, marry, etc with whom they choose.
I am not so narrow-minded to try to instill what I want do or choose onto others.

In the case of polygamy (which bthw has no business being grouped together with being gay)
If those involved are consenting adults, then go for it.

I adore the fact that we humans are all very different, it makes life more enjoyable.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:47 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times
Quote:
If you were simply against same-sex marriage on its own, I wouldn't be so inclined to believe that you feel threatened, but when you say that it will lead to incest, bestiality, and polygamy, it seems a lot more likely that you do feel threatened by it.
Second to that.

Difference in opinion is one thing, but slippery slope arguments (a logical fallacy for 2,000 years) to unrelated things is usually a sign of threat to some deep seated childhood fear. Sounds like the killers of Mathew Shepard, who felt afraid and threatened by him...even tied up and dying on a fence post in Wyoming.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:48 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,945,206 times
Quote:

Seriously, I understand why some people feel threatened, but there's no need to be afraid. Ask people in the states where same-sex marriage is legal. Most of them probably don't even know any same-sex couples. It only affects their lives in that they are being forced to confront their feelings about homosexuality. I understand why that's scary to a lot of people.
not agreeing with someone doesnt mean theyre afraid of you.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,945,206 times
Quote:
If we legalize marriage for homosexual couples all throughout the country, then shortly after polygamists would likely be fighting to legalize polygamy saying that they're not treated like equals in our society. There has recently been a fight by polygamist and homosexuals in Canada to legalize polygamy there, which could be a possibility. If polygamy does get legalized, that may eventually mean that we would have to legalize all sorts of marriages of any kinds of beings with any amounts. Does that mean we would have to legalize marriages between humans and animals, or humans and robots or marriages between animals and robots or marriages between animals? Or how about allow women to have multiple husbands and allow marriages between siblings, brother and brother, or sister and brother or sister and sister or let all of the siblings form one big polygamy marriage group. Or get rid of the minimum marrying age to allow people of all ages to get married without their parents' permission and allow marriages between 90 year olds to 10 year olds. Then allow marriages between sons and mothers or sons and father or marriages between nieces and uncles or grandparents with their grand kids all because "love is love"?

The list just goes on and on. What I'm saying is, if one group fights for marriage "equality" and marriages for them become legalized, then all sorts of other people and groups will want to fight for that too. And homosexual people are allowed to get married, just not to people of their gender though.

So, that's why I believe in marriage being between one man and one woman and are not blood related in any way. But unfortunately, about 40% of marriages eventually end in divorce, but that's a whole other story though.

You people can bash me and call me old fashioned and bigoted or whatever. But this is how I feel about this topic, you may disagree and that's perfectly fine with me.
i agree its not going to be fair not to allow people to marry more than one person so polygamy will have to become legal its against their rights not to be able to marry the people they love. also on that note if polygamy passed it would be sexist not to let women marry more than one man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies