Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:14 AM

76 posts, read 222,954 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article in the paper today that took place in a Kroger store and it was about how Americans are struggling to make ends meat....That is understandable, many families are struggling right now.

Every person interviewed in this article was living off food stamps and either unemployed, or way underemployed....all of these people had one thing in common....They all had four, five, and six kids......If you can't afford to support your kids, either don't or stop having them!!!! Stop having kids for that extra cash from the gov't.....

These people drain every gov't or state resource possible, and live in gov't housing, but somehow they afford that new Cadillac and those gold chains.

I am sick of seeing responsible hard working Americans, (myself included) tax dollars going to fund this crap, especially when we have police officers, fire fighters, and teachers getting laid off all over the country due to budget cuts, and the majority of the tax dollars that are coming in have to go support those who can work but wont!

I have no problem with my tax dollars going to help the elderly, people with disabilities, and those who have fallen on hard times, but are legitimataley trying to get back on their feet and not make the system a way of life.

Tax dollars however should not be used to support people whom are capable of working, but find it much easier to spend their lives living off of gov't resources.

If these people choose to do this for a living, they should be assigned jobs such as picking up garbage, filling in potholes, or something that benefits the city in which they live. I bet that manual labor would make a difference in the number of people that continue milking the system.

BTW....Incase some of you misinterpreted this post, I did not create this to pick on the guy who had a family and who's job was shipped overseas and is now working a lesser paying job, I wrote it about those people who are capable of working, but are not even looking because they don't want to work.....

Last edited by Ratdude; 10-11-2010 at 05:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 05:18 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
One thing too, welfare benefits need to be reduced to one child only (new parents only of course). Most people in inner cities on welfare are having too many kids. And yes for me even one child from a poor welfare dependent family is still too many kids. This is why there's so much crime and poverty. It's being passed down from one generation to another. The violence never ends

Old 10-11-2010, 05:19 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
"Every person interviewed in this article was living off food stamps and either unemployed, or way underemployed..."

So, according to you, the poor slob who had a good job for many years before it was shipped off to China, and who subsequently went to work at McDonald's and Burger King, working two jobs which even together don't generate as much income as he made before, should be kicked off any sort of public assistance because he should have foreseen that happening before he had kids?

Gee, isn't it painful living with a heart and brain of pure stone?

Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdude View Post
I was reading an article in the paper today that took place in a Kroger store and it was about how Americans are struggling to make ends meat....That is understandable, many families are struggling right now.

Every person interviewed in this article was living off food stamps and either unemployed, or way underemployed....all of these people had one thing in common....They all had four, five, and six kids......If you can't afford to support your kids, either don't or stop having them!!!! Stop having kids for that extra cash from the gov't.....

These people drain every gov't or state resource possible, and live in gov't housing, but somehow they afford that new Cadillac and those gold chains.

I am sick of seeing responsible hard working Americans, (myself included) tax dollars going to fund this crap, especially when we have police officers, fire fighters, and teachers getting laid off all over the country due to budget cuts, and the majority of the tax dollars that are coming in have to go support those who can work but wont!

I have no problem with my tax dollars going to help the elderly, people with disabilities, and those who have fallen on hard times, but are legitimataley trying to get back on their feet and not make the system a way of life.

Tax dollars however should not be used to support people whom are capable of working, but find it much easier to spend their lives living off of gov't resources.

If these people choose to do this for a living, they should be assigned jobs such as picking up garbage, filling in potholes, or something that benefits the city in which they live. I bet that manual labor would make a difference in the number of people that continue milking the system.

My employer gave away coats to poor families last fall but will not this year because so many of the people who showed up for the free coats last year were wearing designer clothes and driving expensive vehicles. They obviously didn't have a financial need, but took the free coats anyway. The same people hit the community food banks then rent out their food stamp cards for cash.

199 posts, read 319,586 times
Quote:
You do realize that the majority of the people on food stamps already have a job and it simply doesn't pay that good. And they are not "underemployed" unless you consider money the only qualifier for that.

Not to mention, if they did have them go to work for community service or something, they would have to pay them at least minimum wage.

Which is fine with me, I like it better than welfare. But you know what, they would still get food stamps.

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
"Every person interviewed in this article was living off food stamps and either unemployed, or way underemployed..."

So, according to you, the poor slob who had a good job for many years before it was shipped off to China, and who subsequently went to work at McDonald's and Burger King, working two jobs which even together don't generate as much income as he made before, should be kicked off any sort of public assistance because he should have foreseen that happening before he had kids?

Huge difference between those who fell on hard times, and those who breed who never had the money to support kids in the first place. My post goes after the people that have kids when they are making minimum wage or living off of benefits because they chose to get pregnant when they were 14 and the "dad" was too busy living the "thug life"

Old 10-11-2010, 05:28 AM

76 posts, read 222,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

Obviously you did not read the hard "times part", or you just don't use your brain at all!.......

I did not post that to pick on the the guy who's job was shipped off to China......that would fall under the hard times part, I am referring to all of the people who don't want to work and keep having kids for extra money!

Last edited by Ratdude; 10-11-2010 at 05:37 AM..

Old 10-11-2010, 05:29 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,591,224 times
I agree with you!

A few years ago I read an article where a Governor of a state (I am sorry I can't remember the state??) said welfare would be cut if a mother had a second child while in the 'system'. Of course the welfare moms were crying foul and saying the Governor was trying to take away their right to have children. The Governor very nicely told these moms he was not trying to tell them they could not have chilren, he was just telling them his state was not going to pay for them to do so. This state apparently had a program in place to help get welfare families back on track with education and support until they could find a job and leave the system. This makes total sense to me!

Old 10-11-2010, 05:45 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Yes, I saw that "hard times" part, but you began with a recitation of a newspaper story which upset you and admitted it was about those very people who have fallen on "hard times," yet you took right out after them for daring to have more kids than you think they should have.

Maybe your argument would be more effective if you'd used some evidence, some proof that people really are having more kids just to get a bigger check.

I suspect that's going to be harder to find than you think. That's a commonly held misperception which isn't backed up by reliable data. Yes, circumstantial evidence can be found that some folks on public assistance have a lot of kids (conversely, some don't have any), but finding a causative link hasn't been done yet, even by those who have been looking. There is no evidence to support the idea that poor people on welfare have kids just to get more money. If there is, I'd like to see it.

Also, though it may mean nothing to you, I'd like to point out that one of the reasons God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah was that, even though they had an abundance of riches, they didn't take care of their poor and needy:

Ezekeiel 16:49-50:"Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.

That was also one of the reasons God dealt so harshly with Judah.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:03 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:

BTW....Incase some of you misinterpreted this post, I did not create this to pick on the guy who had a family and who's job was shipped overseas and is now working a lesser paying job, I wrote it about those people who are capable of working, but are not even looking because they don't want to work.....

Isn't Welfare a State run deal, issued by each State, where every State has different requirements for qualification?
I know the Federal Government subsidizes it, but the States take the biggest hit on Welfare.

Should you be yelling at your State for things the Federal Government mandates that they do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies