Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:14 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,752 times

Advertisements

CNN fires Rick Sanchez fired after calling Jon Stewart a bigot - USATODAY.com

Aren't we all getting a little too sensitive here? Rick Sanchez is entitled to his own opinion and it's not like he made a racial slur against Jon Stewart or something. This is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 05:22 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Sure he's entitled to his own opinion. His employers are entitled to fire him if they don't like it.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:23 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,531,096 times
I agree, that hardly merits firing.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:25 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
AAAWWWWWWW So sad Bye Bye. LMAO Good Bye CNN hello MSNBC.
Just a reason to fire him. CNN is getting a makeover. I didn't know Stewart was a bigot.
He kind of sounded like Mel Gibson with out the cussing. Jew this, Jew that, JewJewJewJew. LOL

Old 10-01-2010, 05:26 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I agree, that hardly merits firing.
Well if your boss is a Jew and you bad mouth Jews ...
What he said , Jews are not repressed was true , but Stewart will bust on anyone I don't think him to be a bigot .

Old 10-01-2010, 05:28 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,029 times
You seem to have left of the part where he mocks the idea that Jews are a minority and implies that CNN is run by Jews. If I spoke about my employer on the radio like that, I'd expect to be fired very quickly.

Also, he's a news anchor. They're suppose to portray an image of impartiality. I have a friend who works for a newspaper. The code of ethics there require advanced permission to take a side on an issue and speak out at an HOA meeting.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:28 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,407 times
Probably just a personality they didn't want representing their organization...

Quote:
"Deep down, when they look at a guy like me, they see a guy automatically who belongs in the second tier, and not the top tier," the 52-year-old said.

He then pointed out Comedy Central's Jon Stewart, calling him a bigot with “white, liberal establishment point of view" and accusing “The Daily Show” host of picking on Sanchez's on-air mistakes because of his race.

"Here's what they do. This is the game they play: 'I just picked on Fox News, because they just had a bold-faced [sic] lie about something -- dammit, that means I gotta find something on CNN. Oh, I know… wait, hold on, let me find, oh that Rick Sanchez, that little Puerto Rican guy. I'll make fun of him,’” Sanchez surmised.
The sound of a career going CRASH....

Old 10-01-2010, 05:29 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
CNN fires Rick Sanchez fired after calling Jon Stewart a bigot - USATODAY.com

Aren't we all getting a little too sensitive here? Rick Sanchez is entitled to his own opinion and it's not like he made a racial slur against Jon Stewart or something. This is ridiculous.
Obviously, Sanchez's boss doesn't agree with you. Are you saying the government should intervene and make them rehire him?

Old 10-01-2010, 05:33 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,934,712 times
I don't think he got canned for calling Stewart a bigot. He likely got canned because, when it was pointed out that Stewart was himself a minority, he laughed, dismissing the notion that a Jew could be considered an opressed monority or could identify with those that are. He went further, saying that the people who run CNN, and who run many of the other stations, were all people just like Stewart, that they have plenty of power, and that the notion of them being considered an opressed minority was laughable. My favorite line was "I grew up in Miami. Some of my best friends were Jewish."

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 10-01-2010 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-01-2010, 05:33 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,436,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post

Sure he's entitled to his own opinion. His employers are entitled to fire him if they don't like it.
^^This^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies