Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you react to heterosexuals who are anti-homosexual?
I usually agree with them 25 19.08%
I usually disagree with them 88 67.18%
I'm neutral on the subject 18 13.74%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post
Are you denying the fact that the majority of public opinion on homosexuality is primarily derived from one's religion and their interpretation of that religion?

Are you denying the fact that conservatism and it's religious intent to legislate morality hasn't been the primary factor for the denial of entry for gays as regular, equal members of society?

Sorry, history, religion, and congress points otherwise.
While many who express such thoughts do use religion as their 'excuse', I've found that it's more a case of using religion rather than actually believing it. I've personally known a few who are not religious at all - meaning in any other discussion religion is not even brought up - but when it comes to the subject of sexuality or sexual orientation, all of a sudden it becomes 'necessary' for them to use religious arguments.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Personally I have nothing with them for about 1 year. If in that year they don't change they'll have to leave or do whatever they want but not live in my neighborhood!
The only problem is that I never ever seen a gay person yet! Also I never heard of a person that I know to be gay or have a gay friend! But I live in Europe...
And why would them living in your neighborhood bother you? Are you afraid they would 'hit on you'? Are you afraid your friends might think you're gay, just because you have a gay neighbor? Are you afraid close proximity would 'turn you gay'? And how do you know you have never seen a gay person? One's sexuality is not visible, ya know. And what does living in Europe have to do with it?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
????!!!!

Wow, I don't know what to think about this statement.
I just replied to one of his (MilkDrinker) posts and am not sure I'll bother with another. He claims not to be afraid of gays, but doesn't want them living in his neighborhood? Sounds like fear to me.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:12 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
I can't really vote any of them cause my reaction depends on the context. For example, where I live, a lot of people are a product of their culture. Christianity is infused with culture here. People put Bible verses on their walls and hold prayers at any event, ranging from church baptisms to ice skating parties. The keynote speaker at our Town Square opening was a pastor. They held a prayer and no one thought twice about it. Even the Red Cross, which preaches a non-partisan attitude in hleping others, regularly holds prayers at their events. They get away with it because 98% of people here identify as Christian. Christianity surpasses religion here. It's a way of life for most people.

That said, most Christian sects teach homosexuality is a sin. This isn't to say that all Christians are homophobic, because I know not all Christians are. I know there are gay Christians and all that. But the majority culture where I live prescribes the homophobic view and uses the Bible to back it up, so homophobic comments are everywhere. People are very nice and polite here for the most part, but according to cultural standards here, being gay is a valid reason to no longer respect someone here. Needless to say, I hear a lot of homophobic crap.

How I react is based mostly on my concern for my personal safety. I'd love to be the Harvey Milk of my little town, but I'm deaf-blind. Where I live it's a very realistic fear to get beat up or harassed if you're "out." Add that to being deaf-blind and I say pass. So most of the time I either agree passively or remain neutral. Lots of times I say "but love the sinner, hate the sin" or "God loves all his children" so that at the very least, I'm not agreeing that it's okay to mistreat people just cause they're gay.

Up North is a whole different story. I was totally out and tried to help people understand better where I'm coming from because I didn't have such a thick fog of culture working against me. Most of the homophobia I came across up North was much less deeply ingrained and a lot easier to work with. I successfully got many people to understand what being gay is really about (loving the same sex and that's it) just by being people's friend and letting them see for themselves.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Burberry View Post
This post, as well as others you've recently made, suggests that you know very, very little about the challenges gays, lesbians, transmen, and transwomen face - not only from people outside of those communities, but WITHIN those communities, as well.

Many years ago, I had a boss who denigrated homosexuals on a regular basis. One time, I asked him to "clarify" what he said. He grumbled, and repeated himself, changing the anti-gay word to a neutral word. The next day, he went right on doing what he'd done before. I learned that day that there was no use trying to change a person's mind. So while I don't think much of people who make homosexual comments, I realize that I'm not going to change their beliefs.
And the reason I continue with discussions such as this is not so much to change the opinions of those who, for whatever 'reason' denigrate gays, but to give another side of the story for those who may be questioning - reading without posting. I may never know if I've changed anyone's mind, but I still feel it's important that the questioning ones know that there are some out here who do care.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:19 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
I didn't get this thread as about actual "bashing" like with a baseball bat or whatever. I assumed that the topic was about whether people should be free to express their disgust with homosexual behavior. Isn't this still a free enough country at least where it come to being able to say whats on your mind?

For my part, I don't care much what gays do as long as they don't involve me in it the drama. But I would not want to think that people would want to make it illegal to express hatred or disgust about something that is a sin punishable by death in an important religion in the world. At least the Muslims will want to be able to express their feelings on the subject.

Last edited by Wilson513; 10-05-2010 at 08:27 AM..

Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
What do I think about them? They are hiding something.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:23 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I understand that conversations about sexuality can provoke strong reactions, but I can't understand why some people are so strongly anti-gay that they need to make negative comments whenever the subject comes up. I can't see anything good about being anti-gay.
define "anti-gay".

If you mean me disagreeing with the lifestyle and stating that it's immoral and unhealthy, I'd say that's not necessarily anti-gay. I would consider it to be a loving thing to try to warn someone when they're doing something immoral and dangerous.

On the other hand, if you mean what the westboro "baptist" freaks do....I don't know how I could possibly agree with their schtick.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I don't care what other people think about homosexuals. What business is that of mine? Or yours? If people want to gay bash that's their problem. Its not a very good idea to antagonize others but people do it all the time. We have what is a national war on fat people and no one bat's an eye at it. And, I bet the health risk factors of being a gay male make fat people look like health nuts. So if we are a nanny state about peoples' lifestyles, then being a gay male would be against the law. But, I oppose the nanny state.
And just what would those 'risk factors' be? The biggest 'risk' to being gay would probably be in acknowledging that they are gay - especially around people like you who see 'no problem' with gay bashing. I get the feeling you also see 'no problem' with the bullying that has, just in the last month, caused several young men to commit suicide.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
some homosexuals call themselves ****.

using liberal logic, they just opened the door for anyone and everyone to call them that.

right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies