Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much discrimination is there against whites in the United States?
A lot 38 27.94%
Some 33 24.26%
A little 26 19.12%
None 39 28.68%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:49 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So are you for against discrimination? Are you for it as long as it is only against a certain group?
It's pretty obvious that we don't live in a discrimination free society. Even WITH anti-discrimination laws in place people still continue to discriminate based on race. Since nobody has come up with a better way to redress past discrimination or to effectively eliminate present discrimination then programs need to put in place to protect people who have historically been discriminated against.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 11-29-2010 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 04:04 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
According to Matt Taibbi of Rolling Stone Magazine, the Tea Party is full of whites who believe that they are an oppressed minority in the Age Of Obama.

I'm white, and I don't believe I've ever been discriminated against on the basis of my skin color. I know some whites have, but I think it's very rare. Can any whites here describe situations where they're been discriminated against based on their skin color?

Ref: Tea & Crackers | Rolling Stone Politics
I heard on TV that one thing the Tea Party has in common is a belief that Obama is not a natural born citizen. How many law suits has the president had thrown out of court by now. Yes, I wish I had the time and energy to be a Tea Party member. I am with them in spirit and I can vote with them. They did good.

Now we need congress to make a law stating that proof of natural born status has to be made public so anyone in the USA can see it before someone can be put on the ballot.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:11 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
The last I checked ENGLISH was the official language of America.
You must not have checked very thoroughly, then, because America doesn't have an official langauge.

Quote:
Why should Americans have to use Rosetta Stone to get a job, in our own country. Shouldn't the non-speaking English people, learn our language, not the other way around?
Of all developed countries, this is the most monolingual. It speaks both to our lack of competitiveness in the economic and academic spheres as well as our insularity and xenophobia. And it indicates that America really has no desire to educate its children properly and thoroughly.

Quote:
Just exactly where are you from??
New Jersey.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I heard on TV that one thing the Tea Party has in common is a belief that Obama is not a natural born citizen. How many law suits has the president had thrown out of court by now. Yes, I wish I had the time and energy to be a Tea Party member. I am with them in spirit and I can vote with them. They did good.

Now we need congress to make a law stating that proof of natural born status has to be made public so anyone in the USA can see it before someone can be put on the ballot.
President Obama's birth certificate was actually posted on-line and that wasn't good enough for some people. If that wasn't good enough for the "Birthers" nothing will be. The question of President Obama place of birth has become so inane, and stupid it insults the intelligence of people who ask it.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's pretty obvious that we don't live in a discrimination free society. Even WITH anti-discrimination laws in place people still continue to discriminate based on race. Since nobody has come up with a better way to redress past discrimination or to effectively eliminate present discrimination then programs need to put in place to protect people who have historically been discriminated against.
So you are for discrimination as long as it is only against a certain race.
How about a system that punishes discrimination regardless of what races it is committed against?
How do you end racism by institutionalizing it?
Johnny was bad for being a bulley. Now we will let everyone except Johnny be a bulley so everyone is even?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:20 PM

[quote=Lucario;16821350]
Quote:

You must not have checked very thoroughly, then, because America doesn't have an official langauge.

Of all developed countries, this is the most monolingual. It speaks both to our lack of competitiveness in the economic and academic spheres as well as our insularity and xenophobia. And it indicates that America really has no desire to educate its children properly and thoroughly.

New Jersey.
To show you the contrast I'm in contact with South Koreans on a regular basis. EVERY South Korean that I talk to considers learning English an essential skill to be competitive in the market place or to place their career on an upward mobile trajectory. Some of these people are learning Chinese on top of that.

Compare that with some Americans that resent learning Spanish. It's that attitude that will make us less globally competitive as a country.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:23 PM

[quote=JazzyTallGuy;16821430]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

To show you the contrast I'm in contact with South Koreans on a regular basis. EVERY South Korean that I talk to considers learning English an essential skill to be competitive in the market place or to place their career on an upward mobile trajectory. Some of these people are learning Chinese on top of that.

Compare that with some Americans that resent learning Spanish. It's that attitude that will make us less globally competitive as a country.
Perhaps some of us resent Spanish because it is the only language that we really cater to.
By the way I also speak Thai. Many have no issue being bi-lingual. We take issue with the idea of catering to one specific group. The same group that contributes by far the most to illegal immigration.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So you are for discrimination as long as it is only against a certain race.
How about a system that punishes discrimination regardless of what races it is committed against?
How do you end racism by institutionalizing it?
Johnny was bad for being a bulley. Now we will let everyone except Johnny be a bulley so everyone is even?
There is one group of people in this country that created a social, economical and poltical hierarchy based on race. There is one group of people that in many ways still supports or endorses a social, political, and economic hierarchy based on race.

Now can you tell me how we conpletely dismantle this social economical and political hierarchy based on race? When that happens we'll no longer need laws to protect people who have historically been discriminated against within this hierarchy.

Notice I didn't say I endorsed one group of people discriminating against another. I'm advocating that people that have been historically been discriminated against be protected with laws.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:32 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Show me where our official language is English. I will show you what proves it is not.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/us.html
(Look under languages.) I was shocked the first time I saw this too. We don't have an official language.

If English were our official language it would save the taxpayers much money. Jesse Helms introduced a bill to make English our official language and got nowhere with it. In my opinion we need a bill making English our official language and we need the government to go house to house and clear out the illegals. Yes, we need a military police state until our country becomes secure again.
Man, has the lunatic fringe come out in force!

Quote:
Our country is about 80% white, but blacks and hispanics seem to be running our country.
That's amazing. Congress is about 90 percent white, Wall Street is about 99 percent white, most high-level law enforcement officials and military officers are white males, the media is controlled by whites.........but Blacks and Hispanics run our country. What country are you referring to?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
There is one group of people in this country that created a social, economical and poltical hierarchy based on race. There is one group of people that in many ways still supports or endorses a social, political, and economic hierarchy based on race.

Now can you tell me how we conpletely dismantle this social economical and political hierarchy based on race? When that happens we'll no longer need laws to protect people who have historically been discriminated against within this hierarchy.

Notice I didn't say I endorsed one group of people discriminating against another. I'm advocating that people that have been historically been discriminated against be protected with laws.
Those laws are in fact in place. However, by advocting or by institutionalizing any form of discrimination you only serve to perpetuate the problem. Is 0 tolerance for discrimination of any kind so wrong?
Quota systems will never deliver a fair, balanced or quality result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies