Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 05:27 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times

Advertisements

Oh, ok, I have a less than perfect memory. I am reminded of it so often. Unfortunately, it seems that as bad as my memory is our nation's combined memory is worse.

I am reminded that on January 1, 2007 the price of a gallon of gasoline was about $ 1.85 per gallon. I am reminded that on that date, home values nationwide were at their peak. I am reminded that the US had a less than 5%unemployment rate. I am reminded that on December 31, 2006, George W. Bush was president, Denny Hastert was Speaker of the House, and Bill Frist was Senate Majority leader, but there was not a super-majority, and our national debt was under $ 2 Billion.

I am reminded that by January 19, 2009, gasoline had spiked to an average of over $4.20. That unemployment was 8%, and our national debt was about $3 Billion.

Since January 2009, under the direction of a Super-majority Congress and Presidentcy... well, you can fill in the blanks..

So, if my memory serves me correctly, maybe it wasn't the George W. Bush era that was so bad. Is my memory that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
I am reminded that the economy completely tanked and was in the toilet by January, 2009 when the Democrats took over. We were also in two wars. So they're responsible for what happened before they had any control, under your less than perfect memory?

You know what I tell my kids when they completely trash their rooms--I don't have a magic wand. You have to clean it up--the hard way. It takes just as long to clean it up (and sometimes longer) then it took to make the mess. Except that, in the case of our economy, the democrats didn't make the mess, and they're being forced to try to mop it up. Now we're rewriting history and blaming them for it? Give me a break.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
I remember that the Democrats took over Congress in 2007 and that Bush could do nothing during that point because he doesn't write the laws... Congress does... hmm.... isn't 2007 the point where all Hell broke loose? Yeah, you don't have a bad memory, you have a SELECTIVE memory... a problem most liberals have....

Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Oh, ok, I have a less than perfect memory. I am reminded of it so often. Unfortunately, it seems that as bad as my memory is our nation's combined memory is worse.

I am reminded that on January 1, 2007 the price of a gallon of gasoline was about $ 1.85 per gallon. I am reminded that on that date, home values nationwide were at their peak. I am reminded that the US had a less than 5%unemployment rate. I am reminded that on December 31, 2006, George W. Bush was president, Denny Hastert was Speaker of the House, and Bill Frist was Senate Majority leader, but there was not a super-majority, and our national debt was under $ 2 Billion.

I am reminded that by January 19, 2009, gasoline had spiked to an average of over $4.20. That unemployment was 8%, and our national debt was about $3 Billion.

Since January 2009, under the direction of a Super-majority Congress and Presidentcy... well, you can fill in the blanks..

So, if my memory serves me correctly, maybe it wasn't the George W. Bush era that was so bad. Is my memory that bad?
Your memory is fine No, the Bush years weren't that bad. The economy was strong for 95% of his term, and we rallied around Bush and our troops as one nation after 9-11.
Liberals are living in a fantasy world where Bush was the only one responsible for the economy, and that he was also responsible for 9-11, Katrina, high gas prices, and global warming

Bush was betrayed by people in his own party. Rumsfeld was a joke
Many other GOP congressman were spending like dems, and bashing Bush behind his back. Of course, they are the ones who likely lost their jobs in the 2006 mid-terms. Kind of ironic, don't you think.

Just like the "kids" who cast their ballots for the first time for pres Obama. How much do they know about politics? Well, in another ironic twist, thanks to Obama's rock-star status with the young folks these kids actually payed some attention to politics after he was elected. So, how did their rock-star president perform? well, lets say that they were expecting the Beatles, and they ended up with Vanilla Ice

Old 10-04-2010, 04:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post

the only corrections i would make are about the debt. the first correction is using the word debt, it should be deficit. second the deficit was as low as $160 billion before the democrats took power, and rose to $400 billion after they took power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies