Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 10:33 AM

322 posts, read 749,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSecretAdam View Post
Oh this has everything to do with Austin ATXCIO. People on this forum said I was gay bashing when I disputed a posters comments saying that wanting to live only near gay people is basically discriminating against straights. So it was people from Austin that said this, and I think since this is a political epicenter then this problem needs to be addressed and discussed. Austin is a good place to start aye? You can choose to ignore this, but I won’t.
Dude, your earlier post was the definition of bigotry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 10:50 AM

170 posts, read 827,003 times
Quote:
People need to speak out against these double standards. Full disclosure. I am white, male under 30, straight, upper class and have independent political views. Being a minority or not should have NO bearing on how you treat people or are treated it goes BOTH ways.

Just because you are the minority does not mean you should be allowed to discriminate against the majority because you’re in a box that you want to be in. It's wrong and it goes both ways! ALL of us are minorities in some respect. Does that make it OK for you treat people in a manner that is inconsistent with being a generally good person?

Why does everything have to come down to a category you have to be put in? Then you get treated based off of your box you’re in. What the hell happened to people? What happened to just being a good person? It's OK for group A ( who is the minority ) to say I hate group B ( who is the majority ) is that just the "root for the underdog" mentality?

Why is that OK? Either way you label it, no matter what box your in when you speak your mind out against group A or B are you not still discriminating or hating no matter what direction you speak in?

Why is it socially acceptable for a black person to say the N word but if a white person does it, Jesse Jackson is on the news... AUSTIN... USA, WORLD!!! I AM SICK of having to put up with it. I am not going to lay down, and let the world kick me and put me down because I am in a box you put me in. I won't keep my mouth shut because I am white, or have money or live on one side of the tracks. I am human to and I have a mind of my own, as we all do! I don’t discriminate, hate, bigot, or be racist. But when it's done to me because, that's just the way it is... You will hear what I am thinking.
I'm pretty sure that minorities don't "want to be in" boxes. They don't choose to either. Minorities are minorities because they're not the majority. No choosing to be in boxes involved. If a hispanic person "observes" that they are in fact Hispanic, does that mean they're "boxing themselves in?" Nope, it just means they're stating a fact (assuming they live in a place where hispanics are a minority group). Same goes for them "observing" that you're white. Not boxing you in. Nobody chose for you to be white. You just are.

Nobody should discriminate against anyone, I agree. But it is happening all around us all the time. Life is good when you're on the majority side. When you hear minorities "complaining" it's probably because they just want equal rights to what you have (and I don't mean skin color or ethnicity, I'm talking about equal employment opportunities, the right to marry, etc.).

Nobody's asking you to lay down and be quiet about the fact that you're basically a rich white guy. Good for you. If other groups are demanding the same opportunities you have, you're really in no place to complain or tell them they should quiet down. On the other hand, if minorities aren't trying to be just like you and they'd rather distance themselves and hang out with "their own kind" instead, let them. It's not up to you.

I would also like to point out that you mentioned that you're not a bigot or a hater. I seem to recall you saying that you think gay people have a mental illness (remarks that were thankfully deleted due to hate speech violations of the C-D T.O.S.). Might want to reconsider your "I'm not a bigot" comments.

Until everyone is equal, minorities will speak out against the injustice. As they SHOULD. Period.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:43 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Sinking - please clarify what you mean by your post.
Every example the OP gave was some form of discrimination, however I respect peoples right to live where they feel comfortable. If you're a rich white person and don't want to build your McMansion in the poor Mexican area of town because you want to be surrounded by other rich white people that is your choice and I don't care but it is certainly discrimination. If the poor Mexican does not wish to live around a bunch of rich yuppies that is also their choice, which is discrimination, and I respect their right to choose.*

*I make no guarantees this post makes any sense. I am sick (or allergies) and tired.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:12 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
We ALL discriminate every single day - there's a HUGE difference between discrimination (ie - the CHOICES we make) and ILLEGAL DISCRIMINATION.............

Too bad so many don't seem to be able to tell the difference.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:56 PM

97 posts, read 197,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickasarbata View Post
I'm pretty sure that minorities don't "want to be in" boxes. They don't choose to either. Minorities are minorities because they're not the majority. No choosing to be in boxes involved. If a hispanic person "observes" that they are in fact Hispanic, does that mean they're "boxing themselves in?" Nope, it just means they're stating a fact (assuming they live in a place where hispanics are a minority group). Same goes for them "observing" that you're white. Not boxing you in. Nobody chose for you to be white. You just are.

Nobody should discriminate against anyone, I agree. But it is happening all around us all the time. Life is good when you're on the majority side. When you hear minorities "complaining" it's probably because they just want equal rights to what you have (and I don't mean skin color or ethnicity, I'm talking about equal employment opportunities, the right to marry, etc.).

Nobody's asking you to lay down and be quiet about the fact that you're basically a rich white guy. Good for you. If other groups are demanding the same opportunities you have, you're really in no place to complain or tell them they should quiet down. On the other hand, if minorities aren't trying to be just like you and they'd rather distance themselves and hang out with "their own kind" instead, let them. It's not up to you.

I would also like to point out that you mentioned that you're not a bigot or a hater. I seem to recall you saying that you think gay people have a mental illness (remarks that were thankfully deleted due to hate speech violations of the C-D T.O.S.). Might want to reconsider your "I'm not a bigot" comments.

Until everyone is equal, minorities will speak out against the injustice. As they SHOULD. Period.
So it's OK for minorities to say that people of the majority should do a thing? but if the majority says the opposite, or sticks up for themselves than were bigots and racists or whatever hate label you place on someone? I see how this works now, I must have been mistaken. Where did I grown up? Must have been Mars...

You took my comment out of context, I said you have a mental disorder if you think you can make comments like that (the OP did) left hand bashing straight people quietly under the table.

And you think that it's OK to make comments against a class or group of people, if you’re the minority? Isn’t the whole minority/majority thing about equality and so on? Then why all the segregation, why the majority bashing comments? Why all the hate if we’re all equal?

As you pointed out, nope, in fact were not equal. If you have a set of values and morals, and you want to follow a line. It's only OK as long as you are the minority if you want to speak out. But oh hell no, Majority, you keep your mouth shut and let people rationalize why it's OK for them to hate you based on something you are (opposite of them)

If I lived in SF and said that I was sick of all the gay guys kissing goodbye on their doorsteps and wanted to live in a neighborhood where there were no rainbow flags everywhere and families didn’t consist of two men and a rabbit, I would be labeled a bigot and discriminatory! In SF might I be the minority?

My point is this… why do people, who have a set of values and morals have to shut up when they are the majority? Why is it OK for the minority to fully speak their mind, while the majority has to be quiet? And if they speak up, BAM… hate label gets placed on them.

Tell me that?

Old 10-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
The problem with your earlier post is that it absolutely was gay bashing. It was a rant against people who want to express something of value to them. You also said they had a mental disorder. That has nothing to do with Austin. A gay person who wants to live near people who think and act like them is within their rights. Unfortunately there is no place like that in Austin.

You don't want gays that are "in your face" with their views. I think I would not want neighbors that display a Confederate flag but unless there is a law or HOA restriction preventing it I know there is nothing to be done about it.

If you want to live with people like you - no one will stop you in your search. I don't think though there are many places like that in Austin.

There is an important and relevant free speech issue in front of the Supreme Court right now.
You are allowed to call it whatever you think it was, gay bashing; I think not.

I said the OP had a mental disorder if they thought it was OK to post something like that and not be called out. In which I did.

They were left handed bashing, pseudo bashing whatever you want to call it towards straight people. I took an offense to it, and I spoke out. What angers me the most is that on the issue of Homosexuals, I HONESTLY do not care about that, if you’re a guy and want to marry another guy, great, do it. I have no issues with it, it's OK by me and I'll sign a petition to that. I do think that they are truly equal people.

What irritates the crap out of me is that you see it every day on TV, gays marching in the streets, for rights, and marriage and whatever. Bashing straight people, saying how f'd up it is that straights won't give them equal rights. But then this OP was going to go bash us quietly under the table by nicely putting out there his hatred for straight people. But it was OK because he's the minority? That's where my problem is.

It was a cryptic way of saying, "you know what straight people... I really hate you and don't ever want to see you again" and had it been said in reverse... like "hey gay people, I really hate you, I don't ever want to see you again" because it was majority to minority it would be wrong, but how are those two statements any different from each other? That is my point!

Old 10-09-2010, 02:23 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Let me ask you all a few questions...

If I were to say that I am... Hispanic, and I wanted to live in an area that were only Hispanics because I am tired of white people and don’t feel comfortable around them.

Would that be considered discriminatory, or racist?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racist

What if I said I were rich and didn’t want any poor or homeless people living around me, because they couldn’t afford the cars I drove or the big fancy pool in back, or didnt have the same political POV's I had?

Would that make me an elitist?
http://www.answers.com/topic/elitism

What if I was gay and said that I didn't want to live near any straight people because they don't have the same values as me and I would only want to be around gay people?

Wouldn't that be a form reverse discrimination? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination

Are any of these things OK to be, and would I be wrong for any of them? Is it ok to be a reverse racist? Or a reverse discriminator? Is it OK for one group of people to say they don’t like another group of people based on a category they are in?

It's not discriminatory to live anyplace you desire for any reason you desire. It is discriminatory to prevent other people from living where they want provided they can afford the property.

It is discriminatory to target businesses practices, or create laws that prevent people from living where they want provide they have the financial means to buy property in a given area.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's not discriminatory to live anyplace you desire for any reason you desire. It is discriminatory to prevent other people from living where they want provided they can afford the property.

It is discriminatory to target businesses practices, or create laws that prevent people from living where they want provide they have the financial means to buy property in a given area.
Then what's the word for it when someone of a group, hates you and openly admits it because you don't follow thier views?

I call it discrimination... but I'm not always right.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:35 PM

589 posts, read 756,954 times
The word "minority" is meaningless anyways and is abused today. All that word means is "non-white" to the Government and the media. But in truth anyone can be a minority in America today. If you are White and live in Detroit [90% black city] you are still called a majority, even though you are a minority in that situation. And the roles in Detroit are reversed. Who has the power in Detroit ? Black majority does. Who is going to have a harder time finding work or housing ? Non-black people since you are the minority. So the term minority is useless and is often times not true [S.Florida Hispanic majority, another example].

As far as the Question goes, if White people want to live near other white people then go for it. If Black people want to live near other black people then do it. And having worked in Real estate I can tell you that it is VERY common for people to want to live near others in their Ethnic group. That is a question that is almost always asked without exception [from black people, white people, hispanic etc etc].

Though yes there is a double standard as far the media goes. That is obvious to everyone, if the media's version of racism was correct then Racist = White male, and sometimes a White female. Period, no exceptions. Of course that is ridiculous.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:18 PM

170 posts, read 827,003 times
Quote:
My point is this… why do people, who have a set of values and morals have to shut up when they are the majority? Why is it OK for the minority to fully speak their mind, while the majority has to be quiet? And if they speak up, BAM… hate label gets placed on them.

Tell me that?
People who have a set of values and morals have to shut up when they are the majority when they are illegally or unfairly discriminating against a group of people. It is okay for the minority to speak up when they are being unfairly or illegally discriminated against.

My personal "minority" connection to this thread is gay rights. There are lots of people who say that it is precisely their morals and values that tell them that gay people should not be allowed to marry. They have used these "values and morals" to strip gay people of the basic human right to marry on many state levels as well as on a federal level. This is an example of a time when I would tell the "full of morals and values" majority to "shut up," as you put it.

But lucky for me you're such a fan of gay marriage. I won't need to tell you to shut up! I'll be sure to have you sign my next petition!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies