Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 10:04 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,910,691 times

Advertisements

what can be done to reduce poverty in America?

This is an easy one ..

Be totally rid of the dependency class in this country .. (remove entitlements and the dependency class goes away) ..

I might get some flack for this statement, but the flack would most likely come from those who are on the government dole anyway .. so it would be pointless flack at best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 10:05 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,225,896 times
Make medical care affordable just as it is in all other developed nations. Put the 21st century robber barons out of business.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:16 AM

37,497 posts, read 61,517,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Therefore it's popular for all teenaged girls to get pregnant.
And, of course, the boys (sperm-providers) have no part in the breeding?

For some reason, I don't buy that.
You refuse to 'buy' that it is popular today for many young people to have babies out of wedlock, with no means of providing support?

Old 10-13-2010, 10:16 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,459,331 times
How does making medical care affordable reduce poverty when many of the poor and their children already get low cost medical care? Making healthcare affordable will benefit the middle class much more than the poor. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:43 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,942,124 times
In a world anxious to break all moral laws , you want to what ???
Human rights would have a hay day .
Every year state or fed government comes below budget by at least 20% they get to stay another year, if not, an new group getts voted in.
No more give aways, no waisted money on special interest groups. If they need money let them turn to the people for support not the federal government. If the support is not there from the people the government has no business supporting them to begin with, If they represent the people .
Legislators no longer have the power to vote anything , it would all be left to popular vote period.
One law one vote, no tagging on other issues on a vote that's just plane wrong "blackmail".
Abject poverty will always be with us , some one will be homeless die of starvation on and on.
People with money enough money usually are very helpful to the poor , but when theri servival is threttened you can be sure thay will think of their own future first ,just as you would your own family. I do not have the right to walse into your house and help my self to your things , neither does the government have the right to take what the rich have so carefully set aside for them selves . it was their for thought and dicipline that got them what they have , it is the capacity of most every person to do something better with them selves and not make excuses for their state.
My brother was born missing a left hand , he has been a very successful business man , he applied him self and made no excuses for him self .
I may have to be looking for another job soon , the place I work for is cutting back , I understand that . Life is going to be harder because others are better at the Job than I. I have no arguement with that. Being 60 there are a lot of other things I know how to do . Live or die , I have lived much longer than expected, and I am thankful. I do not expect my brother to support me , he has his own family to care for and a wondrful wife that loves him.
I guess you could say, most people choose their state just as I have chosen mine. From my own perspective , wealth is not freedom nor happyness nor security. in fact it is the opposit. the wealthy have to wonder about their friends and their family motivatons, they can never rest ,spending money on security, and keeping appearances, supporting lawyers to watch their back.
I'd rather help the poor than be poor , but I have been both and it is no shame. a shame is when a person demands some thing not owed to them. That is a shame.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:57 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,825,597 times
Stop giving them free taxpayer money every month.

When the free ride ends, they'll have to go get a job (or god forbid, an education).

Old 10-13-2010, 11:06 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,852,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Stop giving them free taxpayer money every month.

When the free ride ends, they'll have to go get a job (or god forbid, an education).
The people "living in poverty" in the OPs post already HAVE jobs. Just ftr.

Btw there are MANY unemployed also who already HAVE an education, so you think going into debt to "get an education" is a plan? I'm also not sure who you think is going to pay for those on welfare to "get an education" either.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:11 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,727,204 times
a 50% tariff on foriegn goods

Old 10-13-2010, 11:15 AM

32,835 posts, read 19,525,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Make medical care affordable just as it is in all other developed nations. Put the 21st century robber barons out of business.
much of the 'robber barrons' is the government itself

are we going to tell a docotr that a proceedure that costs 100k should only cost 2k???? do we want all the good doctors to reitre????

did you know that the average hospital's electric bill is over 380,000 dollars a month...yep 4.5 million a year, just in electric bills to the government run electric company...that's just for electric...what about the laundry/custodial service....should we say a custiodian should only make $1 a week, becuase we have to keep costs of health care down????

Old 10-13-2010, 11:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,314,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
So in reality you're not for "negative population growth" but for annihilation of the human race (that's the outcome if NO one "breeds" btw).........Thanks for sharing

Just because YOU choose not to "breed" does not mean others don't have the right to have children, but it does serve to explain your attitude regarding the topic of the thread.
Did I tell you that you had to do anything? You can breed until your heart's content. I hope you can afford that because I'm sick of paying for tax credits for people who shouldn't have been breeding in the first place.

I mean really.
False umbrage is absurd.

It's a message board and my opinion is just as valid as is yours, although my point seems to have hit you close to home. One could wonder why? An element of truth perhaps?

Yes, I'm for the annihilation of the human race through negative breeding. The war stuff is so slow and painful.

Negative population growth is not immediate ending of the human race, too bad for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies