Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:34 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
We have only to wait until November. I'm going to set a reminder on my computer calendar, and I'll go ahead and refresh this thread on that day, regardless of who wins or loses. This is not a time for Republicans to be counting unhatched eggs, but they just cannot help themselves. They are positively giddy like children on Christmas eve. There is no logical reason for this to be so, especially not after they allowed the radicals to take over their party.

My predictions stand, I'd like to hear yours (for the record, if you would).
Nobody has taken over any party, people are angry and they're voting as many of the criminals out of office as they can. Meanwhile, Democrats are doing everything they can to label anyone on the right as a racist, homophobic, redneck, witch extremist because they know they're losing and are pulling out all of their typical methods. It's not working, people see through their BS and the Tea Party supporters are gaining strength daily. The attacks happen here daily and it makes no difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 01:35 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
I tend to believe that the Republicans will take the majority in the House, while the Senate will probably stay Democratic.

Nevertheless, I look on the Republican gains in November with a 'calm and steely gaze'. Indeed, I hope the Republicans get the Senate, too.

The reason is simple: this is not the 'last election of the USA". There will be another one in 2012, 2014, etc. This election will not determine the makeup of the House and Senate for all time.

I will probably vote for President Obama in 2012 (although being a person of independent judgement and character, not influenced by voices coming out of the radio or the television, I could well change my mind).

Anyway, I think that if the Republicans win both the House and Senate, and begin to put forth their ideas in detail, many voters will be dumbstruck, especially if a number of Tea Party members win and start to articulate their hopes and dreams. Turnout will then be large in 2012 as people race to vote the House Tea Partiers out of office, keep other Tea Partiers from getting in office, and may well keep President Obama in office.

It is simply a truism that many people do not bother with mid-term elections, hence the reason the Party that does not have the White House often does well in said mid-terms (not always, of course, but sometimes).

I will also add that I saw a very interesting article the other day (I can't recall where) wherein the author predicted a rise of third party candidates for 2012. The author discussed the third party candidacy of John Anderson (which I will remember) and of Ross Perot (ditto).

In essence, the author stated that when a party appears to be torn asunder, as he believes the Republican party is now (between the more traditional Republicans and the new Tea Party influence) then people (like Perot back in his day) will believe that it is a good time to try to rise up and wrest the Presidential election away from the two parties, to the detriment of the party said third party candidate is most affliated with.

I saw where Donald Trump has recently voiced interest in running in 2012, and I bet others will too. If they run as a third party they will, in all probability, split the vote of the Republicans.

Finally, I saw yet anothe article (NY Times) discussing how the biggest news of Election night will be the number of governorships won by Republicans. As the writer pointed out, THAT will be a big mess o' trouble for President Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies