Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 02:34 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
"Don't tell" is not about privacy. It's about hiding. That does not promote privacy. The problem isn't if and when gays choose to make it an issue. The problem is that people are forced to lie. ... The stress of living this kind of lie is unbearable. Can you understand that?
Nobody is forced to lie about anything.

It is "Dont ask dont tell". Simply shut up.

Nobody is required to lie about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
... the military doesn't care about it's members sexual preference. they care about whether or not you can follow orders and conduct yourself accordingly. ...
I agree entirely.

If a person refuses to tie their shoes, then how can they be in uniform?

Our miltary has a set of laws. The laws were not written by the military, they were written by congress. If you can not live within that set of laws then go.

Nobody cares if a person has homosexual desires, and nobody is being told to lie about anything.

As for the OP the miltary only wants it's people to not be performing sodomy. If you can not live with a prohibition against sodomy then leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I only spent 10 years before receiving a permanent disableing injury, (not due to alcohol or misconduct). I had 3 years of army rotc, went into the navy, brother inlaw was marine, ROTC Drill instructor was an airborne ranger, and I was an engineman on a diesel electric, (ss-580) and last boat i commissioned the SSN-720.

At least you and I understand why the forced removal of DADT is a bad idea, I just cannot for some reason relate the understanding to the others here.
We destroy a lot of mens' lives.

I hope the VA is treating you well.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:36 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
As for the OP the miltary only wants it's people to not be performing sodomy. If you can not live with a prohibition against sodomy then leave.
Sodomy includes heterosexual oral and anal sex, so your comment doesn't make sense.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
... GAYS ARE IN THE MILITARY always have been and always will.
So you agree with me.

Quote:
... That is the simple fact that too many folks in the service and out keep running away from.
Who?

I am a servicemember. I have stated many times that there has always been homosexuals in the service.

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
well, I'm not sure how much of that is happening.
I'd ask for stats, but we all know that 42.7% of statistics are just made up
The how much isn't the issue, if it is one, ten or 100 the fact remains that the existing policy is not working, cannot work and resolves nothing.

1,159 posts, read 1,838,873 times
[quote=Guamanians;16248549]How many gay people do you know who want to join the military? SEVERAL
If they really want to serve, then what is stopping them? Fear of intolerance by the ignorant.
So, if the policy gets changed will gays be better off? YES
Do you think thousands of gays will suddenly join the military? No, but those who do will be treated equally.
I'll bet that most of them will be out before their enlistment is up. [quote] What makes you think that??

For the record. I served in the USAF. I knew a few outstanding individuals who were serving and also happened to be gay. I only knew because I was a confided in as a friend. The only difference between them and the heterosexual men and women is the fact that they could tell no one, they could not bring their partners to military events or dinners, or dances, or parties. It had to be kept quiet. These few individuals had extremely high work ethics, dedicated, professional.

How sad that they give their time and dedication to a country they love who was silencing them.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Except people aren't being discharged because they volunteered such information but because some third party, often in violation of their own privacy policies, has informed the military of their sexual preference. And, while the military has vowed to fix such problems the problem IS, the policy is untenable, unfixable, and unwarranted.
I have never seen such a thing.

Never.

If that happened it would be the extreme minority.

During DADT, I personally have spoken with subordinates, asking them to shut-up and stop broadcasting what they do in private. Eventually they insisted on volunteering the information to the wrong person and were processed out.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Sodomy includes heterosexual oral and anal sex
Yes it does.

Quote:
... so your comment doesn't make sense.
How so?

Old 10-13-2010, 02:51 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
If it's that bad then maybe they are not cut out for the military
the military doesn't care about it's members sexual preference. they care about whether or not you can follow orders and conduct yourself accordingly.
should we allow gays into the military, but not in combat?
What happens when they can't handle the stress of combat? Can we just send them home when it gets too tough?

If we focused on military readiness instead of gay rights then this entire story would be no story at all.
Just what exactly are you insinuating here?
Are you suggesting that there are no past and current gay combat veterans? Really?

"Matlovich, a recipient of the Bronze Star and Purple Heart for his combat service in Vietnam, spent five years fighting his discharge from the Air Force."

Gay Veterans Gather To Honor Their Own - washingtonpost.com

Old 10-13-2010, 02:55 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Nobody is forced to lie about anything.

It is "Dont ask dont tell". Simply shut up.

Nobody is required to lie about anything.

I agree entirely.

If a person refuses to tie their shoes, then how can they be in uniform?

Our miltary has a set of laws. The laws were not written by the military, they were written by congress. If you can not live within that set of laws then go.

Nobody cares if a person has homosexual desires, and nobody is being told to lie about anything.

No, you're wrong. You are being asked to lie. Everytime you pretend that you aren't gay, it's a lie. There isn't just one way to ask, and there isn't just one way to tell. And there are people who think it's right to out someone, to try to figure out whether someone is gay or not. He doesn't seem interested in talking about women? Doesn't think Halle Berry's sexy? She doesn't go out on dates, ever? Don't ask, don't tell requires that people pretend to be something that they aren't. That's a lie. And for people of honor, which is something that all the armed services ascribe to, Don't ask, don't tell is a matter of shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies