Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 10:51 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the fact is that gays have always been in the military.... and I dont care, I am fine with that

but there is a differnce between being there, and being 'open' about something

are there pedophiles in the military...sure.. but see if one will openly admit it
are there racists in the military....sure..but see how they will be treated if they are open about it
are there alcohol abusers in the military...sure..but look at what will happen if they are open about it
are there drug users in the military...sure..but open up about that and you will be booted out, even if you selfrefer

the military has lots of diversity within its ranks, but the one thing that has always stood true,, is... dont volunteer any info

DADT allows gats to be IN the military as log as they dont OUT themselves

repealing DADT, simple gays (yes it is a lifestyle) will not be allowed at all
Pedophilia, racism, alcoholism and drug abuse are all BAD things. Sexual preference isn't a bad thing. And shouldn't be lumped in with bad things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 11:02 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,709,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, you're not talking about behavior.

If I like men with big feet, that's a preference. Not a behavior.

What will "open" homosexuals do differently when DADT goes away? They'll be able to breathe. They won't live in fear of being outed. They will be able to live honorably, because they can be honest about themselves. All those things comply with military conduct policies.
so your big concern is whether or not they are outed? Guess what? Nobody really cares
The current policy is more of a political problem than it is a real problem.
I think the issue here is whether or not serviceman will take their service seriously or whether it will be for personal and/or political reasons.
Most of the gay right supporters have never served in the military. Most gays probably do not want to.
We want serviceman who want to sacrifice. Sexual identity should not be a top priority for the military
You want to serve? great... The marines are looking for a few good men
you want to tell me all about your sexuality? save that for Ellen or Jerry Springer

Old 10-13-2010, 11:04 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
Default what will they do?

Quote:
No, you're not talking about behavior.

If I like men with big feet, that's a preference. Not a behavior.

What will "open" homosexuals do differently when DADT goes away? They'll be able to breathe. They won't live in fear of being outed. They will be able to live honorably, because they can be honest about themselves. All those things comply with military conduct policies.
They will find civilian jobs, because the DADT policy is all that was keeping them from getting kicked out.. Don't you get it?

Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Pedophilia, racism, alcoholism and drug abuse are all BAD things. Sexual preference isn't a bad thing. And shouldn't be lumped in with bad things.
preference isnt a bad thing...coreect

but the ACT is

DADT is part of the UCMJ in the idea that fornication between two consenting adults is punishable. So is between a married person and another, not that person's wife or husband.

DADT is focused on behavior, fornication, and the hostile "cruising" of another person of the same gender.

As we have sexual harassment rules mainly for the male heterosexual population, females and homosexuals should also face the same penalties.

From the UCMJ Manual: (a) Any person subject to this chapter who engages in unnatural carnal copulation with another person of the same or opposite sex or with an animal is guilty of sodomy. Penetration , however slight, is sufficient to complete the offense. (b) Any person found guilty of sodomy shall be punished as a court-martial may direct....

you do understand that the military has different laws than the civilian side of the country

Old 10-13-2010, 11:11 AM

723 posts, read 634,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Actually there is terror involved, but not on the side of the fence you have indicated. There are many homosexual people in all walks of life terrified to speak out, due to the reprisals that may happen.

In the military reprisals come in the form of falling up ladders, blanket parties, and worse.

While on active duty, hundreds of feet below the surface of the ocean, reprisals are often swift and ugly. Is that what you want?
I guess many of us have been giving the maturity of our soldiers the benefit of the doubt. Were we wrong? I still believe that the military can handle this. And this sounds very similar to arguments made when the military was integrated. Eventually, all of you will have to grow up, just like they did back then.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
I guess many of us have been giving the maturity of our soldiers the benefit of the doubt. Were we wrong? I still believe that the military can handle this. And this sounds very similar to arguments made when the military was integrated. Eventually, all of you will have to grow up, just like they did back then.
The media and gay rights groups have mad this issue much bigger than it really is. The military has more important things to do, but this keeps coming up. Just like the recent wikileaks, Rolling Stone article, and Bob Woodward book... the military can handle things, but the media adds fuel to the fire.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:19 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Once upon a time General Washington and his troops were camping out at Valley Forge. Baron von Steuben showed up to volunteer, straight from the Prussian Army, the most disciplined in the world.
Von Steuben showed up with his """aide'''' a 17 year old French Boy, who was the reason the Baron had been drummed out of the Prussian Army. Washington had to do a little, DADT just like he had to with LaFayette

Old 10-13-2010, 11:22 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
I love how people (like this guy), always want to compare a persons skin color, with what their sexual PREFERENCE is

tell me what article 120 of the UCMJ says

or what 119a is

you think the military has to go by the rules of the outside??? what is article 88????

Last edited by workingclasshero; 10-13-2010 at 11:35 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 11:29 AM

723 posts, read 634,430 times
Quote:
I love how people like this guy, always want to compare a persons skin color, with what their sexual PREFERENCE is

or what 119a is

you think the military has to go by the rules of the outside??? what is article 88????
Actually, I said nothing comparing race to sexual ORIENTATION. I compared the similar situations of two separate groups being allowed to serve with other groups in the military. It is the situation itself that is similar, along with the arguments against inclusion, not the traits themselves.

Last edited by jaykibs; 10-13-2010 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: More appropriate terms.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I love how people like this guy, always want to compare a persons skin color, with what their sexual PREFERENCE is

or what 119a is

Most of the gay supporters do not understand the military at all. There are strict rules for all military members
They always claim that (a gays are serving, and will continue to serve
(b thousands of gays are being denied their "right" to serve in the military
which is it? what could "open" gays do that the current gays can't?

How about this policy:
Don't ask, don't tell.... but if you do tell then expect a response that you might not like

Do these closed minded people think that a change in policy will suddenly make the military similar to their job at Starbucks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies