Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 08:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Homosexuals have always served.

I have served on subs with homosexuals among the crew. It happens.

It happened before DADT, it happens with DADT, it will happen after DADT.

DADT does not effect a homosexual's ability to serve in the US military. It effects whether they can be 'open' about committing felonies.
And what felonies would that be?
Having the ability not to hide who they are or their love for another human being?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And what felonies would that be?
Having the ability not to hide who they are or their love for another human being?
I suppose they are referring to Article 125 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UMCJ)

C. Sodomy (Article 125, UCMJ). Sodomy is the engaging in unnatural carnal copulation eitherwith another person of the same or opposite sex or with an animal. It is considered unnatural carnal copulation for a person to take into his or her mouth or anus the sexual organ of another person or of an animal; or to place his or her sexual organ into the mouth or anus of another person or of an animal; or to have carnal copulation in any opening of the body, except the sexual parts, with another person; or to have carnal copulation in any opening of the body of an animal. Part IV, MCM 1984, para 51(c). Note:consent by the victim is not a defense regardless of the victim's age.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I suppose they are referring to Article 125 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UMCJ)

C. Sodomy (Article 125, UCMJ). Sodomy is the engaging in unnatural carnal copulation eitherwith another person of the same or opposite sex or with an animal. It is considered unnatural carnal copulation for a person to take into his or her mouth or anus the sexual organ of another person or of an animal; or to place his or her sexual organ into the mouth or anus of another person or of an animal; or to have carnal copulation in any opening of the body, except the sexual parts, with another person; or to have carnal copulation in any opening of the body of an animal. Part IV, MCM 1984, para 51(c). Note:consent by the victim is not a defense regardless of the victim's age.
Does every gay person pratice sodomy or beastiality?
Does every straight person abstain?

By beekeeper's logic, every gay person, if they're in a relationship or not, commits sodomy?

Does he feel the same way about every straight person who might engage in: unnatural carnal copulation for a person to take into his or her mouth or anus the sexual organ of another person or of an animal; or to place his or her sexual organ into the mouth or anus of another person or of an animal; or to have carnal copulation in any opening of the body, except the sexual parts, with another person; or to have carnal copulation in any opening of the body of an animal.

Oh man, if they start enforcing that rule, almost everyone in the military will have committed a felony (if they're lucky).

Last edited by chielgirl; 10-13-2010 at 08:50 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
BUT THE GAYS ARE GOING TO LOOK AT MEN IN THE SHOWER BECAUSE THAT'S ALL THEY DO IS LOOK FOR SEX!!!!! THAT'S WHAT MY CHURCH TELLS ME. I AM UNABLE TO CREATE MY OWN THOUGHT/OPINION ON THIS! LULZ!

This is exciting news, eventually gays & lesbians will be equal Americans despite how the rednecks and stupid say in a southern drawl "YA'LL HAZ RIGHTS".
There was absolutely no reason to bash southerners on this issue. If you are not aware of the homophobia in your own backyard, then I can assure you that New Jersey has more than its fair share of homophobes. Stupid is not a Southern characteristic.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,709,179 times
who will be the first to protest when a gay soldier gets beat up by a straight soldier who harrassed him?

I'll give you one guess.

Be careful what you wish for. you want equality? Then gays have to follow the rules too. All clubs will be banned in a few locales. all flags (other than the US flag) will likely be banned. All extra curricular activities will be banned or limited on military installations. These new rules will likely come as a result of gays wanting to be "open" about their sexuality.
Thanks for your service.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But "Don't ask, don't tell" didn't BAN them..just didn't like them "coming out".
It asked them to live a lie. And that request speaks volumes about the official attitude toward homosexuality. Many people do live their lives hiding various things about themselves, stealing moments to truly be who they are, while conforming to what the people around them expect them to be. But that is their choice. People who serve all of us, who risk their lives for our country, should not be called upon to live a lie, and be summarily drummed out of service should they slip up. It's easier to be honest than it is to lie. Requiring people to lie and to lie repeatedly, to lie every day, is putting a burden on people. Their sexuality, which does no harm, cannot be used to excuse such a burden.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
who will be the first to protest when a gay soldier gets beat up by a straight soldier who harrassed him?

I'll give you one guess.

Be careful what you wish for. you want equality? Then gays have to follow the rules too. All clubs will be banned in a few locales. all flags (other than the US flag) will likely be banned. All extra curricular activities will be banned or limited on military installations. These new rules will likely come as a result of gays wanting to be "open" about their sexuality.
Thanks for your service.
Silly tripe.

Someone who assaults another person deserves punishment. We don't live in a country that tolerates assault. PERIOD.

And clubs won't be banned, flags won't be banned, extra-curricular activities won't be banned. Silly.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,709,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Silly tripe.

Someone who assaults another person deserves punishment. We don't live in a country that tolerates assault. PERIOD.

And clubs won't be banned, flags won't be banned, extra-curricular activities won't be banned. Silly.
are you in the military?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:00 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,200,528 times
Since when can a civilian judge make military policy?

I thought that was the job of the President and congress.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:07 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,233,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Since when can a civilian judge make military policy?

I thought that was the job of the President and congress.
Federal judges have juridisction over federal law.

Now think: what is Don't Ask, Don't Tell?

It is a federal law, passed by Congress and President Clinton. The district courts absolutely have jurisdiction over DADT and the injunction is binding.

By the way, I started skimming the law at http://www.law.cornell.edu/usc-cgi/g...target=103-160 and I was amazed at just how much stuff they cram into one bill. DADT isn't actually a single law, it's a tiny part of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1994, which has a whole host of things in it. The judge has ruled that the DADT part of this Act is invalid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies