Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Read it all there bro. I understand. Seems no well off youngster these days wants to entertain the possibility of ever having to get involved in a war themselves...that's for the slaves...the financial slaves.

Uh Oh...'Bout time for this one to bite the dust.
You seem to be experiencing great difficulty staying on-topic in your own thread, bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
They're all out.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:48 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
They're all out.
And they're all healthy.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:57 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
The News networks have been busy for the last 16 hours continuously showing or updating the Chilean miners as they are being rescued. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying...I too am overjoyed that they are safe and will be reunited with their loved ones. I'm old and I would just like to stick in a little reminder of how it used to be.

There were from 50 to 70 million humans killed during the second world war...they can't even get closer than that. The United States of America lost over 400,000 and twice that many wounded. During Vietnam you can tally up another 60,000. The recent fiasco has accumulated about 5500 when Afghanistan and Iraq are combined...about 35,000 seriously wounded.

Why do a dozen and a half Chileans deserve all this continuous coverage when they all look very healthy to me. I even heard one of the CNN announcers talking about how much their religious faith helped them through the ordeal. I think the news networks realize that foolish beliefs in ancient gods have just about run their course and them along with the government are using evey opportunity to reinforce what helps those in charge. Like Mr. Obama said, "During Hard Times THEY Cling To Their Religion And Guns!"

Right, right...I have the push foolish beliefs in ancient gods memo right here.

Just curious,...what color is the sky on your planet?

Old 10-14-2010, 04:42 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Right, right...I have the push foolish beliefs in ancient gods memo right here.

Just curious,...what color is the sky on your planet?
Americans are wising up. The networks and politicians have redoubled their mentioning of religious faith because they play better to those who are "Dumbed Down"

Since 1990 15% fewer Americans claim to be a part of any religion. Ancient god worship is on the decline and most people have decided it's better to donate their charitable contributions to UNICEF and Operation Smile than to see it spent for preacher's salaries, homes and travel expenses, large buildings, stained glass, steeples, mahagony pews, carpeting. musical instruments, sound systems, jeweled golden smoke pots,etc.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 10-14-2010 at 05:40 AM..

Old 10-14-2010, 08:54 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
The News networks have been busy for the last 16 hours continuously showing or updating the Chilean miners as they are being rescued. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying...I too am overjoyed that they are safe and will be reunited with their loved ones. I'm old and I would just like to stick in a little reminder of how it used to be.

There were from 50 to 70 million humans killed during the second world war...they can't even get closer than that. The United States of America lost over 400,000 and twice that many wounded. During Vietnam you can tally up another 60,000. The recent fiasco has accumulated about 5500 when Afghanistan and Iraq are combined...about 35,000 seriously wounded.

Why do a dozen and a half Chileans deserve all this continuous coverage when they all look very healthy to me. I even heard one of the CNN announcers talking about how much their religious faith helped them through the ordeal. I think the news networks realize that foolish beliefs in ancient gods have just about run their course and them along with the government are using evey opportunity to reinforce what helps those in charge. Like Mr. Obama said, "During Hard Times THEY Cling To Their Religion And Guns!"
Wow, Melvin...what can I say?

First off, these men survived the longest entrapment underground. In this digital age (Youtube and Twitter and whatnot), it was immediately broadcast around the world. Millions upon millions watched as they were brought up one by one. The reactions of their loved ones. And everyone survived after being trapped under for 69 days. Try to imagine being trapped more than 2,000 feet underground for more than 2 months.

Some men have pneumonia, scoliosis, some have had to receive dental surgery. But yes, it's been stated that they are in remarkable good health considering. They are all in the hospital being treated and observed.

The Chileans are tough. They had that earthquake in Feb that was stronger than Haiti's and pulled together as a country (and yes, I know they had better infrastructure and more resources, but they still remained strong). These men pulled together in a horrific, unthinkable situation. And the country pulled together.

In all of the terrible, sickening, saddening news I read day in and and day out, this truly was a wonderful, heart warming story...for once. People perservered and pulled together in what was thought to be (and usually is) a failable situation, and they survived. I'm never sappy like that and I don't care how stupid it sounds.

What does this have to do with WWII, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan? What?

Last, if you don't like it then turn the channel-or better yet, turn the TV off.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:06 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
Back to the way it used to be. 50 to 70 million dead during the 2nd world war. Think about their lives and the devastation rammed down the throats of their families. You are the one that chokes me up...you and the rest of the Blackberry, IPOD, IPAD texting generation.

My granddaughter's husband has pulled three tours in Iraq and he's in Germany now getting ready for Afghanistan. How do you feel about sitting around on your backside while others take care of your patriotic duty?
Okay, so I'm reading through the thread now and I see that people are more irritated with the extensive live-coverage on TV? I don't watch the news, I read it, but I'm imaging you're talking CNN and the like. Well, what do you expect, these media corps run off stories like this...

But this thread is weird. WWII? Blackberry, IPOD, texting generation? How do you know Calvinist is of "that" generation (which people of ALL ages do now)?

Are you upset because our wars in the ME and our soldiers are not getting much coverage or aknowledgement?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:24 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I watched a MIRACLE occur.

A real honest-to-gosh miracle. Live. On my TV.

No complaints from me. At all. None.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:25 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Back to the way it used to be. 50 to 70 million dead during the 2nd world war. Think about their lives and the devastation rammed down the throats of their families. You are the one that chokes me up...you and the rest of the Blackberry, IPOD, IPAD texting generation.

My granddaughter's husband has pulled three tours in Iraq and he's in Germany now getting ready for Afghanistan. How do you feel about sitting around on your backside while others take care of your patriotic duty?
I love the Band of Brothers series. I watched Private Ryan with a profound sense of awe and appreciation for the men that served.

Having said that, anytime someone has to be separated from their family unnecessarily, it is bad. No, these guys didn't fight a war...but their families still suffered with them gone.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:

The solution: TV "off" button and your local library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies