Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it ok for national politicians to get involved in local/state elections?
Yes 5 41.67%
No 6 50.00%
Maybe/Unsure 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:16 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,928,018 times

Advertisements

This has been bothering me. We're constantly hearing on the news about Barack Obama, Sarah Palin, Bill Clinton and numerous other national figures flying across the nation to rally for candidates up for election.

Obama has actually been to my state a number of times, and I can't help but think: Wait a second. Why does Barack Obama have any say in my state's elections? He's not a resident of my state. In fact, he's never lived here. Congressional members are supposed to represent the interests of the people living in their state, not the interests of the national executive branch. That's the whole point of there being separate branches of government. This election is not about what Barack Obama wants, this election is about what people of my state what. He has no business trying to assert his will here.

But then, who knows, maybe I'm missing something. I'm open to persuasion if someone can defend this practice.

What do you guys think? Do you think national intervention is appropriate, or do you think national politicians should butt out of elections that don't concern them? Why?

(NOTE: this is not a political/ideological debate. I mentioned Obama specifically because he's been here, but I would be just as bothered if it was a national Republican figure doing the same thing. So lets not turn this into a liberal/conservative thing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 10:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
I had a problem with Obama supporting one Democrat running for senate in my state against another in the caucuses. I have no problem with Obama or anyone else supporting their party's candidate in the general election.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,312,402 times
If corporations have "rights" - I can see how we can remove rights from any citizen, elected or not.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:05 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,315,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
This has been bothering me. We're constantly hearing on the news about Barack Obama, Sarah Palin, Bill Clinton and numerous other national figures flying across the nation to rally for candidates up for election.

Obama has actually been to my state a number of times, and I can't help but think: Wait a second. Why does Barack Obama have any say in my state's elections? He's not a resident of my state. In fact, he's never lived here. Congressional members are supposed to represent the interests of the people living in their state, not the interests of the national executive branch. That's the whole point of there being separate branches of government. This election is not about what Barack Obama wants, this election is about what people of my state what. He has no business trying to assert his will here.

But then, who knows, maybe I'm missing something. I'm open to persuasion if someone can defend this practice.

What do you guys think? Do you think national intervention is appropriate, or do you think national politicians should butt out of elections that don't concern them? Why?

(NOTE: this is not a political/ideological debate. I mentioned Obama specifically because he's been here, but I would be just as bothered if it was a national Republican figure doing the same thing. So lets not turn this into a liberal/conservative thing.)
I looked at your original question as meaning elected officials taking part in these campaigns. Obama is an elected official but the others you listed are not sitting in any chair of elected power. I agree with Katiana that him taking part in the primaries was just wrong but don't expect him to not take part in trying to keep his necessary numbers in Congress and even in the gubernatorial seats. I don't like it but I do not think that others have been kept from doing what he is doing so even though I voted NO I really don't see anything wrong with him doing it in the general elections.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,315,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If corporations have "rights" - I can see how we can remove rights from any citizen, elected or not.
I know what you are talking about considering corporations but just don't see that your post makes any sense. Maybe you need to get some sleep like I am getting ready to do.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:28 AM

22,214 posts, read 19,504,200 times
I'm not sure if I am the biggest fan of the process at time, but generally ok with it. National Politicians whether it be the President or someone in the Senate or Congress want those in office who will support their ideas and who they agree with. So it generally makes sense that they will look to help out candidates they would like to see win.

Getting that big name can help with fundraising as well as help energize a base. Whether it be on the right or the left. When it comes down to it, its up to the voters of the state that make the decision. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. Other times it helps in a Primary, but hurts in the general.`

Old 10-18-2010, 06:01 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,495,559 times
Quote:
Obama has actually been to my state a number of times, and I can't help but think: Wait a second. Why does Barack Obama have any say in my state's elections? He's not a resident of my state. In fact, he's never lived here. Congressional members are supposed to represent the interests of the people living in their state, not the interests of the national executive branch. That's the whole point of there being separate branches of government. This election is not about what Barack Obama wants, this election is about what people of my state [want].
If what the people of your state want is to take Obama's advice on who to vote for, that's their free choice. If they want to ignore Obama, that's also their free choice.

Politicians don't campaign for other politicians against their will. If a candidate wants to say, in effect "If you like so-and-so, you'll like me too", that is not disadvantaging his constituents; on the contrary, it's offering them a clearer choice.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:04 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times
Even national officials should be allowed to exercise free speech. There should be no restrictions in this area.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:12 AM

45,256 posts, read 26,510,497 times
If you're dumb enough to abdicate making an informed decision of your own candidate to another politician who shows up strictly to campaign for them... turn in your voter card,sit at home on election day and chant "hope and change" over and over.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,353,315 times
Quote:

Until the only ones who can finance a local election or run commercials for a election are people who can vote in the election, it's a free for all.

Here in my state, we have the "committee for this" out of Texas running ads, and the "Group for that" out of Montana running ads and another set coming from a group that has a PO Box in DC. Do you thing these groups have the best interest in my state as their priority. But they are spending millions with attack ads or ads supporting this candidate or that. (With one groups ads, they are actually making me consider not voting for their guy, and going with the other)

So at this point, I'd rather have people who will give face time, rather then a slew of slick propaganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies