Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:30 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Actually, yes, some people have said we don't need another tunnel. Read back through the posts.

"Can't afford it, period" goes nowhere, and I don't get your superfluous "Obama" remark. The idea is, as mentioned in the Crain's article I posted, to get businesses to invest, and/or to do a P3 as is being done with the new Goethals Bridge that will be built connecting NJ to Staten Island (and which will be built wide enough to allow for a corridor for a possible future mass transit installation--either a bus lane or light rail.) Nothing is free, and NJ residents truly cannot afford any more tax increases, so we have to look at other ways to finance this. And, as Nexus points out, there likely will have to be a change in planning and design from what they were going for. A lot of details of this plan did not set well with people in the first place, so this delay is an opportunity to revisit that, as well.

I am happy to have all these projects done, when we can afford it or if the Federal government, NYS or anybody else wants to pay for it. We can't afford it. It is very simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Did you not read that this is a much needed NJ/NYC tunnel project? This implies that the current infrastructure is very poor! Why would Governor Christie be against something that
1) creates a much-needed work commute route for many workers
2) creates jobs for more workers
The only thing that I can come up with that makes any sense is his SPITE. Was Governor Christie marching against Bush multi-trillion dollar expenditures of US Blood & Treasure on Wars destroying the lives and infrastructure of other nations, hmmm?
You know nothing about NJ so you shouldn't comment on it's infrastucture. NJ is the most corrupt state in the country. This thing will double or triple it's original price tag after everyone is paid off. We have three bridges, two tunnels, a train and the ferry to get in and out of NY. Ive been commuting for 30 years and my commute is actually better now than when I first started working. The people of NJ can do without this project. We already have the highest taxes in the country thanks to the teachers union.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
No, no Jersey is losing population. If you are suggesting we invest our money for the convenince of Pa residents, no thanks.

New Jersey's population drain - NJVoices: James Hughes and Joseph Seneca

"The overall deceleration in the growth rate has been caused by the sharp acceleration in the number of New Jerseyans moving to other states - national migration. In 2002, New Jersey had a net outflow 23,759 people - that is 23,759 more people moved from New Jersey to other states than people from the rest of the country moved into New Jersey. The losses accelerated over the next four years: 33,225 in 2003, 45,045 in 2004, and 56,989 in 2005. By 2006, the new outflow was 72,547 persons. A simple extrapolation of this trend suggests that New Jersey would have a net outflow of over 100,000 persons in 2009."
Still , there is a large growth in the Urban areas , have you looked into Hoboken growth. All cities are growing at a rapid pace and so are major towns. Some Rural towns are shrinking.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Still , there is a large growth in the Urban areas , have you looked into Hoboken growth. All cities are growing at a rapid pace and so are major towns. Some Rural towns are shrinking.

That is irrelevent overall growth is down so the number of people commuting into the city will be down. I am simply pointing out your numbers are not accurate.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Actually, yes, some people have said we don't need another tunnel. Read back through the posts.

"Can't afford it, period" goes nowhere, and I don't get your superfluous "Obama" remark. The idea is, as mentioned in the Crain's article I posted, to get businesses to invest, and/or to do a P3 as is being done with the new Goethals Bridge that will be built connecting NJ to Staten Island (and which will be built wide enough to allow for a corridor for a possible future mass transit installation--either a bus lane or light rail.) Nothing is free, and NJ residents truly cannot afford any more tax increases, so we have to look at other ways to finance this. And, as Nexus points out, there likely will have to be a change in planning and design from what they were going for. A lot of details of this plan did not set well with people in the first place, so this delay is an opportunity to revisit that, as well.
Original plan was 3 billion and just 2 new tunnels into Manhattan that was floated in the 90s by Republicans and Democrats all the state. Then different politicians kept tweaking it and now were stuck at 8-11 billion. Meanwhile we have Multiple projects and every county wants a line to there Major town. The system hasn't been upgraded since the 80s and is nearly its capacity constraints.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
That is irrelevent overall growth is down so the number of people commuting into the city will be down. I am simply pointing out your numbers are not accurate.
Look at the Overall Census data for larger cities and Major towns in the state most of them are still growing. Some by 15,000 this decade alone.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Does Governor Christie think the much needed commuter route will improve by doing nothing? Will it cost even more for another future Governor down the road due to Governor Christie's inactions now? WHY do Republicans even run for office, to rake in a paycheck & benefits to vote no on everything and do NOTHING?
I don't know where you live, but as a NJ resident WE CANNOT AFFORD MORE TAXATION down the road after the Christie's term(s) have passed. We already pay the highest property taxes in the nation and more taxes of an unknown ceiling by then on top of that would be a disaster.

We'll "live" as is.

BTW: If you pay the difference, he'll and we'll go for it.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Look at the Overall Census data for larger cities and Major towns in the state most of them are still growing. Some by 15,000 this decade alone.
First off even if some cities are growing the state is losing population overall. Secondly you stated the population would grow by 500-600K over 20-30 years. There is no way that will happen.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
First off even if some cities are growing the state is losing population overall. Secondly you stated the population would grow by 500-600K over 20-30 years. There is no way that will happen.
I never said NJ would grow like that. I said NJT would , which included Metro-North and Eastern PA with that. With the Projects that NJT , NJDOT , PennDot , NYSDOT have planned that require NJT / NJDOT. Newark has grown by 13% this decade alone , Rahway , Linden , Elizabeth , New Brunswick , Hoboken , Jersey City are all growing .... The Population is reorganizing itself.....moving back into the cities.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
You know nothing about NJ so you shouldn't comment on it's infrastucture. NJ is the most corrupt state in the country. This thing will double or triple it's original price tag after everyone is paid off. We have three bridges, two tunnels, a train and the ferry to get in and out of NY. Ive been commuting for 30 years and my commute is actually better now than when I first started working. The people of NJ can do without this project. We already have the highest taxes in the country thanks to the teachers union.
That's something else that makes me a little nervous with all these people outside the state giving a big rah-rah to Christie and urging him to run for President. Like every other governor we've ever had, he didn't get into office because of his sterling character and good looks. He is in office because it is in the interest of some very powerful people for him to be there. He owes a lot of favors now. This is not a partisan argument--Jersey's corrupt government has never been confined to party lines. They come in every so often with the FBI and sweep them up, 40 or so at a time, and then the next 40 crooks waiting in the wings take their places. Just remember, if you want a former NJ governor for President, fine, but you will get a package deal along with it, and you might not be so happy when you find out what you're getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies