Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:26 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have been thinking about this question for a while now and it would be nice to hear both sides or see what else runs through your minds.

I see the conservatives sitting around screaming about how diversity sucks and multiculturalism does not work.

I see the liberals sitting around screaming about diversity is important and they believe in affirmative action.

I do not get either side. Conservatives, there is no way we can have just one culture or one religion or race in the USA. Liberals, there is no way to fit each and every culture into the USA.

But at the same time, I see where conservatives are coming from. Immigrants of today have just changed their mindsets.Not saying ALL immigrants are like this but from what I see in the Indian community (since I am Indian), I see big differences. They used to be so hard working and would show their loyalty to the USA. Immigrants of today feel they are special and entitled to a job as soon as they get off the plane and while having this mentality, they talk about the USA and how bad it is and how much they miss India. This is not an observation from just Indian immigrants but from other cultures too. It bugs me because I love the USA. My parents are immigrants and they love the USA more than India. They are loyal to the USA first but the generation of immigrants now are just "My home country was better...blah blah". GO BACK then!

I also see where liberals are coming from. Everyone has a right to practice their religion and live in their culture or lifestyle here. America is about freedom. There are poor people everywhere and you want them to be able to live their lives without persecution. It bugs me though because I don't believe EVERY single culture or way of living belongs here. Cultures that value men over women and cultures that believe in honor killings or stonings still. Cultures that are still so back-assed in the past that there is no way they can co exist with us.

My take on it: For me, I am a mix. I would not mind having a Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Wiccan, Muslim (as long as they were peaceful) neighbor no matter what his/her skin color was. BUT I do not agree with going out of our way to make sure we are "diverse" or have a certain amount of Hispanics or Blacks here or there. Why should we accommodate to Muslims so they can pray 5 times a day? The only faith/culture I have an issue with is Islamic for obvious reasons. I'd fight against Sharia Law with my life. But I won't go there. That is for another thread.

To conservatives: So, what do you think we can do? If you hate diversity or whatever so much, what are you looking for? An all white Christian country? Do you hate seeing people of different faiths and religions here? Or are you ok with peaceful people of different faiths? You would not mind a Buddhist or Hindu temple being built by you? What is your take? I know a lot of you all don't like Muslims/Islam BUT are you ok with other faiths?

To liberals: Do you all really think we can have ALL different types of people here from different cultures and co exist? For real? I don't think so. Why are you all into making sure we have certain perks for minorities or whatever. Why is multiculturalism and diversity so important? If race is just a skin color and we are all the same, they why special perks for minorities?

Also, last but not least, if you just came to the USA and hate it so much, you have the freedom to leave!!

Thanks for reading. Man, I had so much to think about lately. I should be studying my math though.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:33 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Ok, so I have been thinking about this question for a while now and it would be nice to hear both sides or see what else runs through your minds.

I see the conservatives sitting around screaming about how diversity sucks and multiculturalism does not work.

I see the liberals sitting around screaming about diversity is important and they believe in affirmative action.

I do not get either side. Conservatives, there is no way we can have just one culture or one religion or race in the USA. Liberals, there is no way to fit each and every culture into the USA.

But at the same time, I see where conservatives are coming from. Immigrants of today have just changed their mindsets.Not saying ALL immigrants are like this but from what I see in the Indian community (since I am Indian), I see big differences. They used to be so hard working and would show their loyalty to the USA. Immigrants of today feel they are special and entitled to a job as soon as they get off the plane and while having this mentality, they talk about the USA and how bad it is and how much they miss India. This is not an observation from just Indian immigrants but from other cultures too. It bugs me because I love the USA. My parents are immigrants and they love the USA more than India. They are loyal to the USA first but the generation of immigrants now are just "My home country was better...blah blah". GO BACK then!

I also see where liberals are coming from. Everyone has a right to practice their religion and live in their culture or lifestyle here. America is about freedom. There are poor people everywhere and you want them to be able to live their lives without persecution. It bugs me though because I don't believe EVERY single culture or way of living belongs here. Cultures that value men over women and cultures that believe in honor killings or stonings still. Cultures that are still so back-assed in the past that there is no way they can co exist with us.

My take on it: For me, I am a mix. I would not mind having a Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Wiccan, Muslim (as long as they were peaceful) neighbor no matter what his/her skin color was. BUT I do not agree with going out of our way to make sure we are "diverse" or have a certain amount of Hispanics or Blacks here or there. Why should we accommodate to Muslims so they can pray 5 times a day? The only faith/culture I have an issue with is Islamic for obvious reasons. I won't go there. That is for another thread.

To conservatives: So, what do you think we can do? If you hate diversity or whatever so much, what are you looking for? An all white Christian country? Do you hate seeing people of different faiths and religions here? Or are you ok with peaceful people of different faiths? You would not mind a Buddhist or Hindu temple being built by you? What is your take? I know a lot of you all don't like Muslims/Islam BUT are you ok with other faiths?

To liberals: Do you all really think we can have ALL different types of people here from different cultures and co exist? For real? I don't think so. Why are you all into making sure we have certain perks for minorities or whatever. Why is multiculturalism and diversity so important? If race is just a skin color and we are all the same, they why special perks for minorities?

Also, last but not least, if you just came to the USA and hate it so much, you have the freedom to leave!!

Thanks for reading. Man, I had so much to think about lately. I should be studying my math though.
Diversity and multiculturism are feel good ways of putting the white man in his place or more frankly to continue to foster white guilt.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:35 AM

888 posts, read 1,187,220 times
I've never been AFRAID of other races, cultures, and religions.
I think FEAR drives a lot of this hated.

Steve

Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
I've never been AFRAID of other races, cultures, and religions.
I think FEAR drives a lot of this hated.

Steve
I agree. Of course, some of the fear though, is warranted--such as the fear that islam places in people.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:43 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,640 times
Multiculturalism requires tolerance from all involved. If you have one side demanding others change or extreme differences in values, you have conflict, or worse, people fighting for dominance. I think it also takes a willingness to be open to other cultures, and not separating yourself from everyone else.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:44 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,597,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Missing Math for this forum?
Well, I will keep it short and sweet then. In a diversity seminar I went to at work, a young person at our table told us that schools teach that Americans are a "mixed salad" now , instead of a "melting pot" . In other words, every American is different yet contributes to the whole.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
The funny thing is, diversity is a concept that ONLY exists in the minds of white people that live in 1st world nations. Look at Latin America. They have laws set up that are very nationalistic, look at the age-old example of Mexico. They make it difficult, by constitutional decree, for foreigners to get jobs who are not Mexican citizens. And in order to obtain Mexican citizenship, it's also not easy because you either have to own a property in Mexico and also live there full-time without a job for a number of years (less if you can prove you were born in a latino nation) or you have to have a job, which is difficult to get in the first place, if you are not a citizen. Another requirement of Mexican citizenship is you need to be able to speak and understand Spanish. In Brazil, it's also hard for non-Brazilians to get jobs because the Brazilian workforce is protected from foreign labor as well. Here's the kicker, to be a citizen of Brazil, you have to wait TEN YEARS as a permanent resident (which isn't easy to get in the first place) to apply. Face the facts liberals, most countries south of the U.S. want to remain with a homogeneous population. This diversity bs only exists in western Europe, U.S., Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand. If you have too many different immigrants living in the same community, it WILL cause social unrest because people are tribal by instinct. They only want to live around like-minded people and people that look like them, and live similar lives to them. Which is why you almost always see white liberals live in majority white suburbs in major cities such as Los Angeles. They suffer from a NIMBY complex.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
This country is a big ethnic salad and the contributions of immigrants to the gene pool have made this country what it is; strong and vital. They came with marketable skills and they worked hard. They did not come with their hands out, looking for free stuff.
All these immigrants became Americans working toward the common goals of the country and trying to gain the American Dream. They learned American history, and they learned to speak English. They did not expect to be accommodated. They did not expect us to learn their language. They did not expect the schools to close for every religious holiday, they did not expect work days to come to a screeching halt for their prayer time.
I am worried that illegals and fringe groups will poison this country and drain it's resources.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:55 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This country is a big ethnic salad and the contributions of immigrants to the gene pool have made this country what it is; strong and vital. They came with marketable skills and they worked hard. They did not come with their hands out, looking for free stuff.
All these immigrants became Americans working toward the common goals of the country and trying to gain the American Dream. They learned American history, and they learned to speak English. They did not expect to be accommodated. They did not expect us to learn their language. They did not expect the schools to close for every religious holiday, they did not expect work days to come to a screeching halt for their prayer time.
I am worried that illegals and fringe groups will poison this country and drain it's resources.
They already are, their very existence is a drain on many things.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:56 AM

952 posts, read 943,012 times
To what degree of diversity and multiculturalism are you ok with?

If it comes with a strong sense of responsibility, and respect, if not gratitude, for the Constitution...it is welcome.

Diversity and multiculturalism for it's own sake, issuing demands, undermining the Constitution and expecting a warm welcome---no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies