Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times

Advertisements

Geez, when are politicians going to stop acting like 1st graders in their commercials!! They're so tacky, it's beyond ridiculous!

I'm (name of some politician) and I can do A, B, and C, (good things) for your community. Unlike , (name of other politician in opposing political parties) did X, Y, and Z (bad things). Choose the politician you can trust!

What, can't the American public make up their own mind without propaganda-like commercials airing constantly during election time? The commercials are staring already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 12:50 AM

250 posts, read 379,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Geez, when are politicians going to stop acting like 1st graders in their commercials!! They're so tacky, it's beyond ridiculous!

I'm (name of some politician) and I can do A, B, and C, (good things) for your community. Unlike , (name of other politician in opposing political parties) did X, Y, and Z (bad things). Choose the politician you can trust!

What, can't the American public make up their own mind without propaganda-like commercials airing constantly during election time? The commercials are staring already!
I would be more inclined to vote for someone who told me what they have done and what they plan on doing instead of telling me what the other guy has done wrong. I would love a politician to "man up" and tell me what they actually stand for instead of what some focus group told them would appeal to the most people. I would love to vote for a politician who did what they thought was right, and told me about it, instead of what the polls told them was right, and talked around what they really stand for.

Sadly, I see none of this. No, not even from your beloved Tea Party. No real Americans running for political office, only politicians as usual. No matter what type of "change" we vote for, we the people still get screwed in the end. Vote out all incumbents each election year until they get the point or until some one real shows up.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:40 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
It's been this way for some time on ALL sides. Campaigns are run by the spin doctors. It's about what sells.

That's why at election time I love my dvr. I set it to record what I want and with the magic of fast forward all I see is blips and starts of them. They look pretty silly in those.

If only we could get politicians to think in issues we'd all be much better off.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:23 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
I would be more inclined to vote for someone who told me what they have done and what they plan on doing instead of telling me what the other guy has done wrong. I would love a politician to "man up" and tell me what they actually stand for instead of what some focus group told them would appeal to the most people. I would love to vote for a politician who did what they thought was right, and told me about it, instead of what the polls told them was right, and talked around what they really stand for.

Sadly, I see none of this. No, not even from your beloved Tea Party. No real Americans running for political office, only politicians as usual. No matter what type of "change" we vote for, we the people still get screwed in the end. Vote out all incumbents each election year until they get the point or until some one real shows up.
Yeah...I'm not even affiliated with the Tea Party. I don't even know much about them.

Just an ordinary citizen saying it like it is.

I do agree that we need someone (really a GOOD, competent team of people) to really think about our current financial situation and come up with some solutions on how to get the US out of this mess. I don't care how long it takes, just want it to get done. A lot of politicians are all talk and barely any action.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:40 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
For the most part if you look at the attack ads that are really off the wall, it's not from the candidates themselves, but from special interest groups. Their involvement has really made politics into a circus as of late. I dislike the attack ads as well, but the fact is the most successful ads are those that slam and attack, not promote the good.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
It is not only these candidates, but from Special interest groups also, that have a handle in this. I do agree that from both sides of the aisle, these commercials make me sick and from both sides, i get tired of the attacks going on strong from both partys. But then again this would not be Poltiics would it, if these commercials painted the other candidate as goody two shoes.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:24 AM

200 posts, read 287,485 times
I think each candidate should only get to have 1 ad. You state what you stand for and what you don't, and that is that. In order to choose a candidate, we don't need all the other BS distracting us from the issues!!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:28 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
I think after George Bush Sr said he refused to do that and lost.....it became the norm for everyone to join into the bashing opponent technique of running for office. I guess there are times it is valid, but a whole lot of the time it just comes across as snarky and desperate.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:25 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Geez, when are politicians going to stop acting like 1st graders in their commercials!
The moment voters A) show up in numbers greater than 35 or 40%, and B) vote with intelligence.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:

It is called campaigning which has always happened, but is in our face more with 24/7 TV and radio.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies