Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:48 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Know what.

If a person decides to take their life that's their own issue.

You can't MAKE someone kill themself.

Suicide rates are highest among the elderly, homosexuals and those with mental illness.

Facts are facts.
You're right.

But it is still sad. Are you ok with it because he was gay? I would not be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 09:53 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I agree. 100 percent. I just wish people didn't feel that bad about themselves and their lives to kill themselves.

I have never been to a memorial or vigil. I am going for the first time tonight. I hope I can keep my emotions in check. It is just so tragic...so tragic...
Hopelessness is an extremely powerful emotion. Generally, if intervention is sought, a suicidal person can be reached. Unfortunately, many fail to seek help, because they are convinced by their mental state that suicide is their only option. Most don’t want to die; they just want to end their pain. Yes, it is indeed tragic.

I assure you, tonight won’t be easy. Allow yourself to feel and express your emotions. Take care.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
You're right.

But it is still sad. Are you ok with it because he was gay? I would not be surprised.
To be honest. I don't care if he was gay or not.

People have their own issues in life. If they can't get over them then they handle it the best way they know how. If he had no coping mechanism with his life and didn't reach out for help and NOBODY saw any warning signs then what can you do?

Gays don't necessarily kill themselves because they felt socially stigmatized.

Everyone knows that there are resources available if you're in mental distress. Therapy is one.

If he convinced himself that his life was over, he made his decision.

The worst part about suicide are the ones left behind. Suicide is a SELFISH ACT. He wasn't thinking of other people when he did his deed.

You can't bring them back. And frankly there is probably nothing anyone could do. People who take their lives are usually focused on completing that goal.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:56 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
You're right.

Wow, you just went from conducting yourself with honor and credibility to a despicable personal attack. You really should get counseling for your passive aggressiveness and difficulty keeping it in check.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Wow, you just went from conducting yourself with honor and credibility to a despicable personal attack. You really should get counseling for your passive aggressiveness and difficulty keeping it in check.
And you should get counseling for having an imaginary friend named gawd and having mental delusions.

Quote:
To be honest. I don't care if he was gay or not.

People have their own issues in life. If they can't get over them then they handle it the best way they know how. If he had no coping mechanism with his life and didn't reach out for help and NOBODY saw any warning signs then what can you do?

Gays don't necessarily kill themselves because they felt socially stigmatized.

Everyone knows that there are resources available if you're in mental distress. Therapy is one.

If he convinced himself that his life was over, he made his decision.

The worst part about suicide are the ones left behind. Suicide is a SELFISH ACT. He wasn't thinking of other people when he did his deed.

You can't bring them back. And frankly there is probably nothing anyone could do. People who take their lives are usually focused on completing that goal.
I agree. I know what you mean. But it is still very sad to me. If anyone kills themselves, it still sucks.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:02 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
And you should get counseling for having an imaginary friend named gawd and having mental delusions.

I agree. I know what you mean. But it is still very sad to me. If anyone kills themselves, it still sucks.
Well, quite frankly...

I think a human should have the right to check out of here any time they want for whatever reason (life threatening illness or not).

I have no problem with someone who decides they want to take their life - as long as they're not taking anyone else with them when they go (as in a murder suicide situation).

Is it sad for those left behind? Sure. But it's not your life.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Well, quite frankly...

I think a human should have the right to check out of here any time they want for whatever reason (life threatening illness or not).

Is it sad for those left behind? Sure. But it's not your life.
Yeah. I am pro suicide too. If you wanna die, then die. But I still think it is not needed and sad.

If I know someone is suicidal, I will to stop it but in the end, it is up to them.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:11 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
I am sorry to hear of this young person's suicide. I never believe suicide is the answer but that is based on my religious belifes and other, who don't share those beliefs, obviously will hold differeing levels of acceptance of suicide.
People commit suicide because of depression and there are many things one can be depressed about. One of the common reasons among young people is isolation. Did he commit suicide because he was rejected by his love interest? This is a common reason for suicide among hertosexuals. I would assume the same is true among homosexuals. Did he leave a suicide note?
One thing that I hope won't happen is that I hope the gay activist community won't exploit his death. This should be an oppertunity to talk about depression and the ways to deal with it productively and avoid suicide. It should not be about being gay because this could have happened to anyone. People develop depression and feelings of isolation for many reasons.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I am sorry to hear of this young person's suicide. I never believe suicide is the answer but that is based on my religious belifes and other, who don't share those beliefs, obviously will hold differeing levels of acceptance of suicide.
People commit suicide because of depression and there are many things one can be depressed about. One of the common reasons among young people is isolation. Did he commit suicide because he was rejected by his love interest? This is a common reason for suicide among hertosexuals. I would assume the same is true among homosexuals. Did he leave a suicide note?
One thing that I hope won't happen is that I hope the gay activist community won't exploit his death. This should be an oppertunity to talk about depression and the ways to deal with it productively and avoid suicide. It should not be about being gay because this could have happened to anyone. People develop depression and feelings of isolation for many reasons.
Thank you Roger. You're actually pretty cool despite our political differences.

It sucks. I hate seeing young lives go like this. I hate seeing lives go in general unless you really deserve. Yes, I am pro death penalty. Yes, that is another conservative belief I hold.

I am not sure if he left a suicide note but I don't think so.

I dont know if he tried to reach out. I know when I was depressed back in life and when I was going through some things, I reached out to friends and adults at school. I held on. I just wish others could too.

Last edited by Theliberalvoice; 10-20-2010 at 10:23 AM..

Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
If this is how people really feel towards others, I wish I HAD killed myself at 13. What I believed then is still true.

When you're young and you see that everyone hates people like you, how do you feel? And what if the people who love you will also hate you if you tell them what you are? How do you feel when you can't talk to anyone because doing so will make your life even worse, if that's even imaginable?

No one drove me to kill myself. They just made the conditions for remaining here a worse proposition.

The elderly take their lives to escape the pain of old age and illness and I don't hold it against them one bit. So, I don't think it requires a mental illness to kill one's self. Gay people take their lives because conditions are horrible: the isolation, the ridicule that can be delivered impersonally through social commentary or by physical infliction of abuse, the hatred that gets directed inwards. But some people just don't get it. I survived so I could enlighten you but I see now my job isn't done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies