Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:30 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,015,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
It's a bad thing for those people that used to have jobs processing those paper checks though.
And the people that had jobs researching the ENORMOUS amount of check fraud in this country.

Seriously, I used to work in a bank and not a week would go by that somebody didn't come in complaining that their son/maid/brother in law had forged one of their checks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 04:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
It's a bad thing for those people that used to have jobs processing those paper checks though.
One of the first full time jobs I had was processing mortgage payments.
It wasn't always cut and dry though.
You had those folks with extra payments to this, that or the next thing scrawled on their checks. Or those that were late but only made partial payments.

Someone had and still has to read that stuff and figure it out and then make sure what they want you to do is legal.

Oh wait..what am I thinking..banks checking for legality TODAY ?

Old 10-21-2010, 04:33 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,312,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Banks like BofA are NOT making their prime money from checking fees....
The point is that most major banks in this country are racking up BILLIONS of dollars in overall profits. If legistlation was "hurting" the banks that wouldn't be true.

J.P. Morgan Chase
Q1 2010 Profits $2.974 Billion Dollars
Q2 2010 Profits $4.351 Billion Dollars

Citigroup
Q1 2010 Profits $4.428 Billion Dollars
Q2 2010 Profits $2.697 Billion Dollars

Bank of America
Q1 2010 Profits $2.834 Billion Dollars
Q2 2010 Profits $2.783 Billion Dollars

Old 10-21-2010, 04:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The point is that most major banks in this country are racking up BILLIONS of dollars in overall profits. If legistlation was "hurting" the banks that wouldn't be true.

J.P. Morgan Chase

Citigroup

Bank of America
It's called HFT. No one is forcing anyone to do business with them.
I certainly wouldn't do business with ANY of the bailout banks.
But if you do..then don't complain when they fleece you with fees, fines, high loan rates, low saving rates.
There are other choices out there yet.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:36 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,821,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Canadians can use the Interac Email Money Transfer network. You can send money from your bank account to another person's account at a different bank. All you need is their email address - you don't know their banking details or what bank they are depositing to. Interac is equivalent to the Plus network (the Plus symbol on the back of your debit/credit card).

Interac Email Money Transfer
That is the system that is used by Paypal. There are fees involved for the merchant using Paypal -- don't know how they compare to credit card fees. Case in point, I am going to a retreat next weekend. The proprietor has asked that instead of paying in advance using Paypal which he is set up for, he would prefer that we pay by check when we get there. He wants to avoid the paypal fees and he knows us all and isn't afraid that we will stiff him.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
And the people that had jobs researching the ENORMOUS amount of check fraud in this country.

Seriously, I used to work in a bank and not a week would go by that somebody didn't come in complaining that their son/maid/brother in law had forged one of their checks....
The fraud continues, its just the manner thats changed. Now people can randomly generate account numbers, and since routing numbers are online, your account can be wiped out without you even knowing it..

The difference, now you have no clue who took your money...

Old 10-21-2010, 04:46 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,338,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Say goodbye to traditional free checking - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Say-goodbye-to-traditional-apf-1888087707.html - broken link)

Yes, the "transformation" obama was fond of saying he would do to America....right up our backsides.

Can we all just admit that obama and the democrats don't have a clue what they are doing? The laws and regulations they have enacted are having a severe negative impact on our everyday lives.

Maybe it's because he's never run a business, probably hasn't administered his own checkbook for a while now and when will they realize the new "regulations" supposedly meant to protect consumers are hurting them instead?

Just chalk it up to another bad liberal idea.

The man is an absolute disaster and he is intruding into our lives like no other administration before him.
Sandy, you are so right on! I have free checking. So far, my bank has not notified me that it will change. But I don't think I have seen that they are advertising free checking anymore (now that you mention it).

Obama is a living nightmare. I have been so nervous since his election, and I have never been a nervous person. I can't sleep at night anymore, and I know that he is the reason. I am scared for our country, and what kind of country our grand children will have.

I praise God for people like you, Sandy, who will speak up. Thank you so much for being you!

Old 10-21-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The fraud continues, its just the manner thats changed. Now people can randomly generate account numbers, and since routing numbers are online, your account can be wiped out without you even knowing it..

That's true, but those are crooks are a little more sophisticated. It's harder for your run of the mill, drug addict son-in-law to forge a check if you don't use checks. (I haven't written a paper check in over 2 yrs.)

Old 10-21-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

J.P. Morgan Chase

Citigroup

Bank of America
That's my point. Nothing they do will change the profit, it will just pass the way in which they pass the cost on to the consumer.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:54 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,695,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

My bank caught one such incident. I don't care "who" took it, the bank reimbursed my account, and "who" became THEIR problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies