Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did NPR make a mistake by firing Juan Williams
yes 146 86.90%
no 17 10.12%
other 2 1.19%
not sure 3 1.79%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:53 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This was the nail in Williams coffin, PBS over a year ago demanded that Williams stop using his association with them as part of his Fox News promotions.
I think you may find that Williams has a really fat contract with Fox right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Interestingly enough, D.C. has laws in place that don't allow employers to discriminate against employees based on their source of income.

Quote:
2. What are those protected personal characteristics?
Under D.C. and federal law, it is illegal for an employer to discriminate on the basis of race,
national origin (the country in which you or your ancestors were born), sex (male or female), religion,
pregnancy, age (40 or older), disability, and color. In addition, D.C. law prohibits discrimination
based on marital status (single, married, or divorced), personal appearance (including transgendered
people), sexual orientation (gay, straight, or bisexual), family responsibility (taking care of children or
other relatives), political affiliation (Democrat, Republican or other), age (18 or older), genetic
information, place of residence or business, source of income, and enrollment in college or
vocational school.
http://www.dcejc.org/legal_ejc_app/docs/Discrimination.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-21-2010, 08:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Not only that, but it sure gives me good reason to place him on ignore, so i do not have to read his completely uninformed, and partisan opinions.
I always use what I call personal ignore so I can read one or not. Just skip over his posts.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 594 times
Default double standards

why is it pc to denegrate christians, tea partiers, and other conservative groups, but you get fired or walk out on your guest (the view) if you say anything about muslims?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:20 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Yes they should since they didn't agree with his values and it's their company, thus their call

For all that Juan Williams spoke out about civil rights and African Americans, I think it's ridiculous for him to turn around and insult Muslims. Speaks volumes about his self-centered point of view, that he only cares about respect toward his own race.
He pointed out the elephant in the room, is all. Let's say you boarded a plane and the whole first class section was full of young muslim men dressed in muslim garb. Don't lie. The thought would cross your mind. You racist, you.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Yes they should since they didn't agree with his values and it's their company, thus their call

For all that Juan Williams spoke out about civil rights and African Americans, I think it's ridiculous for him to turn around and insult Muslims. Speaks volumes about his self-centered point of view, that he only cares about respect toward his own race.

But he should not be fired for his view point!!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogiebaby View Post
why is it pc to denegrate christians, tea partiers, and other conservative groups, but you get fired or walk out on your guest (the view) if you say anything about muslims?

I think you got your wording backwards.... But I get your point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OhlIC1M818

Old 10-21-2010, 09:29 PM

785 posts, read 619,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
From calling Tea Party members “Tea Baggers,” to saying that "the evaporation of 4 million" Christians would leave the world a better place, to suggesting that God could give former Sen. Jesse Helms or his family AIDS from a blood transfusion, NPR's personalities have said some pretty un-PC things in the past. A look at the record reveals no shortage of intolerant statements and unbalanced segments on the publicly sponsored network's airwaves.

Here's an incomplete list of questionable and controversial content that has aired on NPR or has been uttered by its employees: <<LINK>>
Great work!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times
Quote:
GOP Ready to Probe NPR’s Federal Funding
Kenneth Tomlinson, former chairman of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) which oversees NPR’s federal money said: “This kind of enforced leftwing political correctness is why the CPB and Congress should take a hard look at new regulations governing NPR and public broadcasting.”

“it is very likely that this will be a priority for Mr. Barton in the next Congress, should voters trust Republicans with their vote in November.”

GOP Ready to Probe NPR’s Federal Funding - HUMAN EVENTS

Old 10-21-2010, 09:35 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I think you got your wording backwards.... But I get your point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OhlIC1M818
Do I HAVE to listen to this? Please don't make me do it! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies