Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:18 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Why is it that every time we have a problem with the economy, the dang local governments and schools want more MONEY and new tax levies? Can't they tighten the belt like the rest of us?

New lawn sign, "Sorry all Taxed Out, Quit Asking!"
Why is it that every time Pubs are in office, we have to police the world while ignoring Africa?

Why is it that every time Pubs are in office, less taxes mean that EVERYTHING ELSE FAILS?

Why is it that every time Pubs are in office, fees rise?

Why is it that when Pubs are in office, schools don't get better?

Why is it that every time Pubs are in office, we HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE ECONOMY?

Why is it that Pubs cry about the economy, UNLESS THE PRESIDENT IS A REPUBLICAN?

Every local economy is still reeling from 8 horrific years of Bush, in which no new taxes still meant FAILURE. Pubs, your arguments about taxes are tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 07:51 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Why is it that every time we have a problem with the economy, the dang local governments and schools want more MONEY and new tax levies? Can't they tighten the belt like the rest of us?

The essential Republican argument.

"No taxes, less government", yet, they never say what government they want to cut. If they do mention specific programs, people say they want those things.

Whats more important for kids? Band or Football? God forbid they cut the football program, but the Band program has proven time and time again to produce better students in math and science.

Whats more important to you? Good grades, or sports? Or, you can keep taxes a little higher and keep it that way.

Sure, if I were single with no kids, I'd oppose any new taxes for school. Its not benefiting me. But if I'm a parent, I'm not complaining one bit.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:55 AM

783 posts, read 814,833 times
The best way for local and state governments to balance their budgets are trough a combination of tax increases and spending cuts it called a balaced budget approach.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:59 AM

783 posts, read 814,833 times
Quote:

Many state and local governments are using the balanced budget approach wich combines tax increases and spending cuts it is the best way to balance a budget that is in a deficit.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,940 times
Many state/local governments will need to readjust the taxable value of homes that have lost up to 50% of their market value in the next few years.

However when they do that, they'll just 'change the tax rate' to keep those funds coming in from homeowners that are already cash strapped. I expect the discounts for seniors will soon be eliminated or even pushed to a higher age as well.

Government knows only one way, TAX. When prodded to cut back and operate within their means, they ALWAYS threaten services cutbacks. In reality those in power are protecting their own pay and pensions. Must be nice to have guaranteed themselves those things in sessions the public probably never knew about until it was far too late.

Government has become it's own entity now and doesn't represent the will or needs of the citizens.

Government has become the ultimate entitlement.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:40 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,139,353 times
Well now, we've had some great replies to this post.

I don't know how, or who is at fault for the requests for new taxes and "More Money Please", but I do agree that if we have to tighten our belts at home to survive, then so must all the local governments and schools. And yes, I will always agree that the schools put WAY to much emphasis on sports and not enough on the areas that expand the minds of these children. That plastic piece of junk they call trophies will only sit in the glass case and draw dust, but the child's mind is what will true "make us or brake us" as a species.

So for now I and all in my home are voting "NO" on all levies, except for those that are being just renewed. And I think that all of us need to pull together and let them know how we feel about their (the powers to be) thinking that "All we need to do is take it to the people and they will just hand it over to us everytime". It this type of thinking on their part that is turning our country inside out. They work for us, not the other way around.

New yard sign, (Sorry All Taxed Out, Please stop Asking)

Old 10-24-2010, 04:09 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,324,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
But if they cut something you like, you'll complain. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. You make it sound like tightening the belt will somehow not affect you. The schools will have fewer teachers, the streets will have no operating streetlights, fewer police will patrol the city, libraries will close, roads and bridges won't get built or repaired, the license bureau will have shorter hours of operation, etc. Not pretty is it? And most importantly, people will get laid off meaning that even fewer tax dollars will be collected which means tax rates will go even higher. No easy solution by any means.
There are plenty of ways to reduce spending without even making service cuts. Get rid of pork, excess, waste, fraud, and all redundant programs and that alone would save millions. Why won't they start there? And how is all that medicare fraud and waste recouping coming along? And why is it that Obama (and every past president too) knows exactly how much of medicare expenditures are fraudulent yet they can't seem to eliminate it?

Old 10-24-2010, 05:07 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
But if they cut something you like, you'll complain. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. You make it sound like tightening the belt will somehow not affect you. The schools will have fewer teachers, the streets will have no operating streetlights, fewer police will patrol the city, libraries will close, roads and bridges won't get built or repaired, the license bureau will have shorter hours of operation, etc. Not pretty is it? And most importantly, people will get laid off meaning that even fewer tax dollars will be collected which means tax rates will go even higher. No easy solution by any means.
How about the government paid employees shoulder part of the same income burden the taxpayers are facing?

How is a government paid employee worth a 6 or 7 figure income when 4 and 5 figure income folks pay that wage?

Government always throws out the sob story about laying off cops and firefighters to justify their union wages and pensions.

Government needs to realize that when the people have no jobs to pay taxes, no homes to pay taxes on, no businesses to pay taxes, their precious tax base erodes.

No, their fix is to raise taxes on those that are left, no matter what the cost.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,260 times
95% of us will receive a tax cut---

Happy Halloween form Grinch Barry who stole American taxpayers blind with fraudulent stimulus package.

Wait until January when your taxes go out the roof and another million people lose their jobs.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,139,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
95% of us will receive a tax cut---

Happy Halloween form Grinch Barry who stole American taxpayers blind with fraudulent stimulus package.

Wait until January when your taxes go out the roof and another million people lose their jobs.
Lets try to keep the from being a Political Party mud slinging contest and stick to the Local governments and school levies of out states, counties and local areas, OK. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies