Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:54 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You are all on a fascinating roll here- Hollywood couldn't WRITE better stuff than what's going on all around us every day. In my teenage years I was a huge fan of science fiction, and believe me, a lot of it was no stranger than our everyday reality now.
I couldn't help but being amused by the immense ironies seen here- isn't it truly amazing that some of our angriest Christian zealots are coming perilously close to adopting the very tactics of the "other side", while some of our biggest "libs" are toying with a "turn the other cheek" approach that would do credit to the Christian right, if only the Christian right would live by the words of its original (middle eastern) Founder?--- Can anyone figure this out ??? Sheeeeeesh!!!
macmeal I did enjoy this post. I just disagree with the "turn the other cheek" part of your analysis. I don't see anybody suggesting we turn any cheeks. I think some would just argue we should be going after the actual people responsible for terrorism in a much more intellligent and responsible way. Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 04:07 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
macmeal I did enjoy this post. I just disagree with the "turn the other cheek" part of your analysis. I don't see anybody suggesting we turn any cheeks. I think some would just argue we should be going after the actual people responsible for terrorism in a much more intellligent and responsible way. Big difference.
I agree, I just saw an item on the news saying that the government has concluded that al Qaeda has managed to rebuild their operating capabilities to pre 9/11 levels, Going after the actual people responsible would be a welcome change in policy.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:16 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Yes I will concede that in their darkest moments, the frustrated cops probably do, on occasion, divert from pursuing the well-financed drug cartel, and vent their wrath instead in an all-out raid against the noisy biker party down the block-- your point is a fair one. Just human nature, I guess....
PS It is my SERIOUS hope that we ARE going after al-Qaeda, and maybe even "closing in", in ways that we obviously can't publicize...

Old 07-11-2007, 04:19 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,032,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I agree, I just saw an item on the news saying that the government has concluded that al Qaeda has managed to rebuild their operating capabilities to pre 9/11 levels, Going after the actual people responsible would be a welcome change in policy.
And just how are we planning to do that if our technical advances aren't up to snuff??? Remember the leader of Venezula owns Citgo gas, they are all closing down here. We have begun to depend on countries so much, like China ( a big one ) so we are not as strong and independent as we once were, so I don't think we are feared as we once were. I don't think our Military is up to snuff either. It used to be said they hated us for our freedom and yes I believe we are still the free-est country around but becoming more and more dependent on other countries for our daily bread, so to speak.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:01 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
And just how are we planning to do that if our technical advances aren't up to snuff??? Remember the leader of Venezula owns Citgo gas, they are all closing down here. We have begun to depend on countries so much, like China ( a big one ) so we are not as strong and independent as we once were, so I don't think we are feared as we once were. I don't think our Military is up to snuff either. It used to be said they hated us for our freedom and yes I believe we are still the free-est country around but becoming more and more dependent on other countries for our daily bread, so to speak.
We're certainly not going to do it by invading countries where they hadn't been operating.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:25 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
We're certainly not going to do it by invading countries where they hadn't been operating.
Oh come on now. We're in Iraq. Aren't they all there? Aren't we keepin them varmints on the run there so we won't have to deal with em in our own backyards?

Old 07-11-2007, 05:32 PM
JD.

199 posts, read 487,865 times
Quote:
You are all on a fascinating roll here- Hollywood couldn't WRITE better stuff than what's going on all around us every day. In my teenage years I was a huge fan of science fiction, and believe me, a lot of it was no stranger than our everyday reality now.
I couldn't help but being amused by the immense ironies seen here- isn't it truly amazing that some of our angriest Christian zealots are coming perilously close to adopting the very tactics of the "other side", while some of our biggest "libs" are toying with a "turn the other cheek" approach that would do credit to the Christian right, if only the Christian right would live by the words of its original (middle eastern) Founder?--- Can anyone figure this out ??? Sheeeeeesh!!!
Please give me examples of 'Christian zealots' coming perilously close to adopting the very tactics of the other side. Once again, I would like the names of those Christian zealots who are using women and children as human shields and slaughtering thousands of innocent people. Standing up against jihadists is NOT the same as being one, please if I am wrong, explain how they are the same thing.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:46 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Quote:
Don't know all the details, but just this week in our area, I heard that a public school in San Diego ("Carver", I believe,-not sure) has blocked out a 15-minute recess in its daily after-lunch schedule to accomodate about 100 muslim students who want a prayer period. It's my understanding that this will now be built into the schedule. Don't know if it will lengthen the day or not.
Is it possible the School Board is "afraid" of anyone? How does this fit in with modern secular thinking? If this is true, it certainly seems to be inconsistent with other school regulations...and if so, should we be surprised that "other" groups in the school might take it as unfair favoritism? Is this, and the "anger and intolerance" alluded to earlier in this thread, perhaps be the very earliest rumblings of the "cultural collapse" I've been predicting? If there ever WERE to be some sort of cultural disintegration, how would it look to those to whom it was happening? I just don't know.....
call me slightly tired and suffering from a massive headache, but were you serious about this school? (sarcasm alerts didn't go off when I read it) I can't read every source of news and have never heard this story.
I would look on the aclu's website for something about it, but I'm sure it won't be there.. they would never do anything about a religious expression..

Old 07-11-2007, 06:33 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD. View Post
Blame America, as usual. If it truly disgusts you as much as it does, move to one of these countries you love so much, i.e. France, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, or Iran, take your pick and I'd love to see how your tune changes. America has problems, of course, but the problem is not America. Your USA bashing serves no purpose, do something to change it if you feel so strongly about it, but
then I guess you'd have nothing to complain about.
Sir, what is wrong with France??
Or do you seem to hate them since it is the "patriotic duty" in the right wing playbook??
All the other countries you mentioned, yea, they are problem kids, but France proably takes better care of its citizens than any other country.

Last edited by beenhereandthere; 07-11-2007 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: mispelled word

Old 07-11-2007, 06:43 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
so what about all the muslim immigrants france took in, stuck in a ghetto and forgot about until they tried to burn down the country?

not to mention, france will sell out the US at the drop of a hat. they are fierce economic competitors with us and will do business with countries like iraq and iran, despite our wishes..
I personally trust them as much as I trust china and wouldn't want to live in either country. Plus I've been to france several times and it's definitely not the civilization I enjoy here in the US. BTW, a tourist trap in paris is NOT france.. I've never even been to paris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies