Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,656,904 times

Advertisements

I live across a one lane bridge and down a dirt road that has a very prominent NO TRESPASSING sign posted on the front. You can't see my house from google street view
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:07 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,341,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I live across a one lane bridge and down a dirt road that has a very prominent NO TRESPASSING sign posted on the front. You can't see my house from google street view
Watch out for the science of curved telescopic radiometry .

Old 10-26-2010, 11:27 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,687,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
It's just another way for the technically advanced criminal to look down on specific neighborhoods they're targeting. Instead of them driving around casing them out first and taking the chance of someone noticing an unusual vehicle they could now do it from Google Earth. Gives them a better view of the grounds,where to hide, covered entry ways,sometimes vehicles that are outside. If they see 4-5 houses like this together they can now target one small area and get in and out faster.

Of course there's always going to be the punk criminals who wouldn't do this but in some of the wealthier areas I can see where this could be of use to them.Also terrorist from another country could use this to scope areas out beforehand,checking out specific buildings,infrastructures and the surroundings seeing which ones would make better targets.

Before some IT guy comes on and says you could trace the IP address back from Google after specific areas have been hit,they could easily use a proxy service bounced to other countries.
This must be the technology used in the greatest heist ever, the bankers obviously saw all those new cars, motorhomes, and ATV's and knew we'd be needing a bigger newer new house to go along with it. Then they tapped into CITY-DATA demographics and saw that we'd be needing some unusual kind of credit to boost our financial standing and, the rest is history.......

Old 10-26-2010, 12:44 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,122,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
They have gone down posted private roads but that is more likely the blame of the driver.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:00 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,640,410 times

I made a thread about the dangers of Goggle Maps. No one believed me. I said what with our enemy countries gaining more internet knowledge as time goes by, Google Maps could be used against us. North Korea already has a facebook and youtube page. Never before in history has NK included itself into the modern world and the lastest "social" networks and technology. What is stopping them from plotting an attack on U.S. soil using Google Maps? All one has to do is Google Map the entire country and gain access to all alleys and passageways in which they could attack. I admit, I am avid Google Mapper and big fan. But whoever in the U.S. government gave Google the approval to put up such a website, is a huge idiot.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,778,819 times
Maybe the long update interval offers some protection?
I sent my mother a link to the view of our old family home (not even street view, but the zoomed satellite view) and she did not recognize it because the images were a couple of years old and the garden still looked completely different.
I would be really worried if they had live images

The statement of that Google guy is quite rude, sounds like what do we care about people...

Old 10-26-2010, 01:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,882,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So you consider the right to privacy as stupid? Maybe if you were a woman who had been threatened by a stalker and Google Earth gave instant views of the entrances of your home rather than the stalker having to trespass in order to get that same information, you wouldn't take it so lightly. Maybe if Google Earth didn't show a car in a driveway with an easily read license plate, it might not be an invasion of privacy.
Maybe if Google Earth actually removed properties when the homeowners wrote to them requesting removal, it would not be an outrage.

Just because you fail to acknowledge an invasion into personal privacy does not mean it doesn't exist.
If your standing on a public sidewalk or roadway you can take pictures of anything you want. Google has been taken to court over this and the court ruled in googles favor. 1st amendment protects Freedom of speech and Expression this falls under it.... Google blocks out alot of things , if you don't want your house on file them tell them to remove and they will. They always remove the pictures i report. Google doesn't go up Private Driveways , only marked Public roads.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:51 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,856,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Privacy who needs that. You can zoom in and see way to much
Not really. Zoomed in all the way you can see my black car but you can't even come close to making out the make and model of it. Anyone who thinks this is an invasion of privacy is doing some illegal things in their yard or are just paranoid as hell.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:58 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,778,819 times
Do you have kids? There are cookie crumbs on the back seat

Old 10-26-2010, 04:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,981,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Not really. Zoomed in all the way you can see my black car but you can't even come close to making out the make and model of it. Anyone who thinks this is an invasion of privacy is doing some illegal things in their yard or are just paranoid as hell.
From street view I've repeatedly requested removal of my house image along with the fact that the license plate is easily legible. I'm not paronoid but I do value my privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies