Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 03:07 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times

Advertisements

It was crazy at Wal-Mart on the 1st of the month. Everyone and I mean everyone was swiping their food stamps cards. I asked the cashieer if I was the only one who paid in cash. She said yes so far I was. She said that some people swipe as many as 4 or 5 cards and get up to $700 in food. What an outrage! why are they using multiple cards? I have worked all my life and have never been able to spend $700 in grocery shopping.

Now that the FED has passed QE2 food prices are expected to go through the roof. Food inflation will destroy us honest non-handout taking Americans who play by the rules. But the food stamp swipers have nothing to worry about...they don't care about the price of food, it's all free to them (paid for by the struggling middle class taxpayer). I bet you anything this country has become so corrupt that their food stamp allowences will be adjusted to inflation!!! This makes me so angry. The middle class will be starving with crushing food inflation while the so called "poor' have never had it as good as they do today.They can fill their shopping carts to the brim with as much good (or junk which they seem to gravitate towards) food as they can eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 03:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It was crazy at Wal-Mart on the 1st of the month. Everyone and I mean everyone was swiping their food stamps cards. I asked the cashieer if I was the only one who paid in cash. She said yes so far I was. She said that some people swipe as many as 4 or 5 cards and get up to $700 in food. What an outrage! why are they using multiple cards? I have worked all my life and have never been able to spend $700 in grocery shopping.

Now that the FED has passed QE2 food prices are expected to go through the roof. Food inflation will destroy us honest non-handout taking Americans who play by the rules. But the food stamp swipers have nothing to worry about...they don't care about the price of food, it's all free to them (paid for by the struggling middle class taxpayer). I bet you anything this country has become so corrupt that their food stamp allowences will be adjusted to inflation!!! This makes me so angry. The middle class will be starving with crushing food inflation while the so called "poor' have never had it as good as they do today as they can fill their shopping carts to the brim with as much good (or junk which they seem to gravitate towards) food as they can eat.
You've just spent 3 trillion and counting giving Iraqis and Afghani's new schools, roads, hospitals, elections, water, electricity, oil facility repair, etc, etc.

So get over the Food Stamp thing. If you can shell it out for foreigners who wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire, you can pay to feed Americans.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Wait until November 30 when the unemployment extensions expire and the Republicans block November extensions , 5.5 Million people will be hungry and Food Stamp Card Holders will INCREASE exponentially .

Old 11-04-2010, 03:15 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Multiple cards? Maybe they were shopping for family or friends that are housebound, maybe they are using a debit card to pay for items not covered by food stamps. Who knows.

oh and jftr, in THIS economy/job market there are plenty of former "middle class' having to avail themselves of foodstamps.

Not sure where this "first of the month" thing comes from, must be different rules in different states. In THIS state when your balance is loaded onto the card depends on the date you were originally approved.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:17 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:

Now that the FED has passed QE2 food prices are expected to go through the roof. Food inflation will destroy us honest non-handout taking Americans who play by the rules. But the food stamp swipers have nothing to worry about...they don't care about the price of food, it's all free to them (paid for by the struggling middle class taxpayer). I bet you anything this country has become so corrupt that their food stamp allowences will be adjusted to inflation!!! This makes me so angry. The middle class will be starving with crushing food inflation while the so called "poor' have never had it as good as they do today.They can fill their shopping carts to the brim with as much good (or junk which they seem to gravitate towards) food as they can eat.
This is what the right wing is all about: selfishness.

I'm in the life boat. Too bad for you.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:19 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You've just spent 3 trillion and counting giving Iraqis and Afghani's new schools, roads, hospitals, elections, water, electricity, oil facility repair, etc, etc.

So get over the Food Stamp thing. If you can shell it out for foreigners who wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire, you can pay to feed Americans.

^^^^^^^^
Agree 100 percent with above.

Really, I don't think anyone should spew such hatred onto people in need until they have walked in those shoes.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:40 PM

171 posts, read 327,048 times
Default Food Entitlement Funding

What percentage of the Agricultural Subsidy Bill does "food stamps" comprise? I heard it was 20%. The other 80% goes to BIG BUSINESS land owners who are paid to grow/not grow food on their land! That means they get the "dough", from us tax-payers, even for doing NOTHING. Have you seen the milk, etc. that is destroyed instead of going to the Jesus Houses, etc. to be fed to people?

Get real! Not all poor people go for free anything. There are plenty of needy people who do without, eating without real nourishment to the body. Would you really pick out one child in a group to tell them they are nothing, just because they are poor and hungry. Who will you choose first to say to them that they should be the one to go hungry because there's no food in the house? Some people don't have a job that even allows them to live in humble means. Of course, I guess it's their own fault! Some people are not smart enough to either take care of themselves, little on their offsprings. Who's at fault? Lousy education, maybe? Lousy opportunity? Lousy neighborhood?

Try Googling: "Entitlements for the rich" and do some reading on subsidies for other than the "poor", lazy, hand extended Americans on this, the greatest country in the entire world!

But, it's easier to listen to "entitlements" going to the poor, non-tax-paying citizens of this nation instead of studying where your money really goes. I don't know of any little farmer getting any subsidy of any kind. I personally know people who actually do go hungry instead of asking for food.

I've heard that in India ( a democracy country) that women stand on the hotel steps, with starving babies in their arms, begging foreign business travelers to please give them money. How sad. I also heard that a truck goes around at night, picking up dead, starved bodies off the streets.

Of course that could never happen here in America. Seems like there's people out there who want us Americans to take down one another so they can reap the spoils. Is that what's happened to other powerful nations? Wars of all kind have been going on since the beginning of time.

Anybody from India out there in America? I'd rather spend 30 minutes on studying the history of India, spice trade years, etc. than watching the news spinners on tv.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:52 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:

It sure is a shame, my Mom lives in a poor part of town, people buy food at mini marts which cost twice that of a store, they don't earn the money so they don't care.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:00 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It sure is a shame, my Mom lives in a poor part of town, people buy food at mini marts which cost twice that of a store, they don't earn the money so they don't care.
And how close is it to a lower cost grocery store?

I volunteer at a food bank and I routinely see people pass up food because they have no way to get it home.

Others will pass up food because they have no way to prepare it. If it isn't ready to eat, it is useless to them.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:09 PM

16 posts, read 10,288 times
Quote:

I use to be a cashier at Wal-Mart in Texas and New Mexico and it blew my mind at the amount of people using EBT cards, and they spend $300-400 dollars at a time, they eat better than I do, but then again,I pay for my groceries myself after I pay for all of my bills.I was just told today that this guy sells EBT cards, you can buy a EBT card with $200 on it for only $100 dollars, a great deal, he must not need the food stamps all that bad. I remember people in New Mexico on Welfare and selling drugs at the same time.If I was in charge, I would make every person on welfare bring in their check stub(if they work) and a receipt for every single thing they buy, what they buy should be monitored, if we can give them money, then they can hand over their receipts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies