Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 11:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

these fast food workers of today.....incompetent slugs............... yes I said ...incompetence......and they want to demand 15/hr...they aren't even worth 5/hr with that level of incompetence
I mainly find them too dang slow. That and your problems with them help explain why things are moving toward more and more automation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 12:02 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,307,371 times
Quote:
… less than 10% of ALL Workers are at min wage or within $2 of the min wage...
Workingclasshero, I suppose much more than 10% of USA employees earn no more than $9 per hour.
If any members can find links to any credible statistics regarding proportions of USA employees earning various wage rate brackets, all of us would find it of interest.

I contend that 60% of USA’s employees wage rates are no less than substantially affected proportionally by the minimum rate.

The wage rates of the lowest earners within that 60% are critically affected. As the brackets of wage rates increase, the minimum’s effects are less critical and can be described as more substantially effecting those higher wage rates.

Minimum rate’s effects upon the remaining 40% are not substantial portions of those higher wage rates.
Respectfully, Supposn

Old 02-16-2020, 12:12 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Workingclasshero, I suppose much more than 10% of USA employees earn no more than $9 per hour.
If any members can find links to any credible statistics regarding proportions of USA employees earning various wage rate brackets, all of us would find it of interest.

I contend that 60% of USA’s employees wage rates are no less than substantially affected proportionally by the minimum rate.

The wage rates of the lowest earners within that 60% are critically affected. As the brackets of wage rates increase, the minimum’s effects are less critical and can be described as more substantially effecting those higher wage rates.

Minimum rate’s effects upon the remaining 40% are not substantial portions of those higher wage rates.
Respectfully, Supposn
the average hourly wage in the US is $23.87
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/wages

percent of workers AT min wage (or below (restaurants) is only 2.3%
https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/min.../2017/home.htm
Quote:
The percentage of hourly paid workers earning the prevailing federal minimum wage or less declined from 2.7 percent in 2016 to 2.3 percent in 2017. This remains well below the percentage of 13.4 recorded in 1979, when data were first collected on a regular basis.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie
Then abolish the income tax.
Quote:
I would love that... I have been advocating for the fairtax for years...tax spending...don't tax income, when a very large portion of income is never reported because so many work "off the books"
Workingclasshero, other topics, other viewpoints, other threads. Excerpts from the Economics forum:
Quote:
Sales tax. … I do not believe we could or should replace the majority of our income taxes with a general sales tax, and any substantial federal sales tax should be accompanied by compensating populist entitlements to compensate the poor for the sales taxes they'll be paying.
But USA's consumption rather than what we state within our income tax returns, are more accurate reflections of individuals actual incomes and wealth.
Quote:
Can the Fair tax ever be passed and enacted?
I’m a proponent of the Fair tax but I do not believe it’s politically or economically practical to replace our entire taxes on net incomes with a sales tax. …
Respectfully, Supposn

Old 02-16-2020, 01:12 AM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It increases prices. How can a store operate if those minimum wage folks are now making $20/hour ?
I don't know how that simple tidbit of information does not compute with some of our fellow citizens. As an employer, if costs go up (whether it be payroll, insurance, rent, materials to make XYZ etc., prices must rise just to maintain the same level of gross sales, and hopefully profit.

So yes, if pay Johnny or Suzy $8ph and now must pay double that or more, where do you think that additional money comes from?

`

Old 02-16-2020, 03:40 AM

Quote:

Workingclasshero, for our purposes, the “tidbit” of data, “percent of workers AT min wage (or below (restaurants) is only 2.3%”, informs us that 97.7% of USA employees earn more than $7.25 per hour. That’s not germane to the answers we seek.

We want to know is all USA employees were lined up in positions corresponding to their wage rates, what would be the rate of the employee in the middle of the parade? That employee would be earning the median wage, and 50% of USA employees would be earning no more than that median wage.

I believe there’s more employees earning lower rates, than the number of employees earning a higher rate than the wage rate of the same employee chosen at random, [note this random choice must not include an employee earning exactly the wage rate of the first or last employees on our parade line], percent of workers AT min wage (or below (restaurants) is only 2.3%hen the median rate of USA’s employees must lie between $23.87 and $7.25 per hour. No less than 50% of USA employees earn no more than that median wage rate.

What’s USA's median wage rate?
What’s the highest wage rate among the lowest rated 40% of USA employees?
What’s the lowest wage rate among the highest rated 40% of USA employees?

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 02-16-2020, 04:05 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
A new study shows that increased minimum wage does not increase unemployment.

Over a 16-year period, the study looked at counties that were located across the border from another county that had a minimum wage increase. Instead of increasing unemployment, the study found that higher wages decreased worker turnover.

Does a Higher Minimum Wage Reduce Jobs?

https://udrive.oit.umass.edu/folbre/...ube_proof2.pdf

This is the reality that many right-wing business owners would like to deny. If they weren't so greedy and self-serving, they would realize that a business that has happy and satisfied employees has a much better chance of growing and thriving. Loyalty and devotion from workers is something that is invaluable to a commercial enterprise and underpaid workers will not become like that.

It's very much like the resistance to environmental standards that mandated pollution control. Eventually, many industrial operators discovered that a clean factory makes more profits.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:

Well, you'd be wrong, but then you've repeatedly demonstrated a total inability to do any economic research.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:08 PM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I mainly find them too dang slow. That and your problems with them help explain why things are moving toward more and more automation.

My local Rite Aid just installed self check and I never thought I'd see that.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:33 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:

Actually, it is lower than that.

Together, these 1.8 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 2.3 percent of all hourly paid workers.

That is the percentage of only those on hourly. Of those receiving hourly, 58% of workers are on hourly. .58*.023= 1.33%

How silly is it to worry about a wage that isn't supposed to be a living wage. Not that you're saying it is a living wage. Plus UE does go up when minimum wage goes up. Less are being hired. Nothing to do with how the economy is doing at the time. What would it be vs what it is currently, is the true comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies