Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 01:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,972,572 times

Advertisements

I agree. The democrats are useless when it comes to gay rights. Dennis Kucinich is the only one who has been an advocate of gay rights. The left in general are hypocrites. Do not trust them at all when it comes to activism for minorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Everytime gay marraige has been brought up for a vote it has failed. Inlcuding states like Oregon, California and Maine.

Why blame republicans? It's pretty obvious the majority of democrats are opposed to gay marraige also. At least the right admits it in public. The lefties say they are for it and vote against it.

If the right is full of morons then the left is full of morons and hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:33 PM

Judicial review is supposed to protect the rights of the minority and enforce the constitutional republic which limits full fledged democracy.

[quote=juppiter;16507280]
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

The judiciary is SUPPOSED to be unmoved by popular opinion & uphold the state or federal constitution.

If the new justices overturn their decision, they will be violating precedent and caving to popular opinion. When that happens, our judiciary is TRULY in trouble. It was ALWAYS meant to be a deliberative body unmoved by current public sentiment.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:48 PM

If you do not like gay marriage then do not live in Iowa. The judges have spoken. It's called judicial review. It's perfectly normal for them to enforce the constitutional republic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Looks like the people of Iowa have spoken. Don't like it, don't live in Iowa.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,308,171 times
Quote:
"Around 54 percent of Iowans voted not to retain each of the three judges: Supreme Court Chief Justice Marsha Ternus and associate justices Michael J. Streit and David L. Baker. The campaign for the judges ouster was based on the court’s unanimous 2009 ruling that legalized same-sex marriage in Iowa."

Iowans vote to oust all three Supreme Court justices | Iowa Independent
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Why are people so threatened by this? Just don't marry someone of the same sex if you disagree and leave others alone? Gosh, people are so dense it's scary
It doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks. It matters what Iowans think. It's their state.

Quote:
Legislating from the bench is not representative democracy.

The people spoke tonight and that is very encouraging.
Yes they did, and I agree with them.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:01 PM

It was a retention election voted partially by the uneducated angry Christians of Iowa. It was not a special "ousting" election designed by the angry Christians of Iowa. Perhaps the majority who voted wanted a change for other reasons.

Gay marriage was voted on unanimously in 2009 by all of the judges. Not retaining three of the judges doesn't mean anything in Iowa. All the judges are trained to perform judicial review that support the constitution and minority groups. Gays are a minority group because they have banned together as people and have demanded fairness and equality. Evidence from other countries and from medical and psychological studies has demonstrated that gays and lesbians are able to function in relationships and in workplaces and in society.

On a side note, incestuous people and those who lust after animals have not contributed any evidence that they are a minority group nor have they shown the ability to be harmless in our society. Therefore, they are not a minority.

Gays have proven themselves to be a legitimate minority group.

And Democratic Gov. Chet Culver of Iowa has the authority to appoint future judges.

Last edited by artsyguy; 11-03-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Did you not read that all of the judges voted unanimously to support same-sex marriage?

It was also a retention election.

And the Democrat Governor can appoint any judge he wants.

The Christian rednecks of Iowa will see their Christian redneck culture fade away into oblivion within the next 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
It doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks. It matters what Iowans think. It's their state.

Yes they did, and I agree with them.

Last edited by artsyguy; 11-03-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 02:24 PM

30,078 posts, read 18,694,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
If a man marries another man---why does it bother you? I don't like seafood and I can't understand how people can get past that fishy taste.. but who am I to tell people to NOT eat fish because I disagree with it.

It's stupid.

Anyone who opposes gay americans having equal rights, are stupid.

Sorry that the "happy white Christian America" isn't turning out the way you all planned.

The initiative to dump the judges was not about gay marriage.

Dumping the judges was due to the anger of the voting public about activist judges subverting the legislative branch of the government and making law from the bench. Thier job is to INTERPRET law, not write it.

This message will echo through the rest of the nation and hopefully will send a clear message to judges who choose to write, not interpret the law.

I don't care whether gays marry or not. However, I think that the states should vote on it and let the people decide, not a couple of left wing judges.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:04 PM

426 posts, read 1,087,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Oh give it a rest. Everything is hateful to you and the rest of the liberals. Just because we don't like gay marriage doesn't mean we don't like gays. Take off the Democrat Party issued blindfolds off for once
Oh, that's just a big load of BS. Sorry for the abbreviation but you know what I mean anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_ice_cream_cone View Post
I am against gay marriage. Why? It's just not the way life was and is inteded to be, gay couples can't reproduce, you people who are all for gay marriage should move somewhere that allows it, dont knock others for not believing in it and dont force you views or wants which are obviously in the minority onto the majority, if we all wanted it, we would have it.
Ever heard the concept of Majority Rule, Minority Rights? Obviously not, otherwise you'd be less ignorant on the subject.

If majority was the only rule, this country would be more like a dictatorship. Which is "supposedly" what the Right is against. But apparently, if it's an agenda they agree with, minority rights can go to hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
The Holy Bible, smart girl, is ALL the proof I need. Are you a Bible hatero?

"You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination." Lev 20:13
"If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death." 1 Cor 6:9
"Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals" 1 Tim 1:9-10
You give Christians everywhere a bad name. You know, the Nazis hid behind God to do their evil deeds too. But I suppose you're fine with that becaused they murdered gays. Right.

Look, I'm a Christian too. But I don't have my head up my rear when it comes to it. Don't know what God or Jesus you believe, but the God I believe in is a loving God. One that doesn't want me to judge. Judge not lest ye be judged. Remember?

Let the dead bury the dead. Let God judge the living, and the dead. You have other things to worry about. Like which homosexual you and your Southern, white hood wearing buddies are going to lynch next.

Hmmm. Looking at this post, I realize I've become as judgmental as the rest of you Christians. Fun huh?

Last edited by Nedely; 11-03-2010 at 03:16 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 03:14 PM

67 posts, read 107,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
And you are apparently obsessed with parakeets.
My budgies are actually smarter than most people in this country.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:57 PM

472 posts, read 855,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedely View Post
Oh, that's just a big load of BS. Sorry for the abbreviation but you know what I mean anyway.

Ever heard the concept of Majority Rule, Minority Rights? Obviously not, otherwise you'd be less ignorant on the subject.

If majority was the only rule, this country would be more like a dictatorship. Which is "supposedly" what the Right is against. But apparently, if it's an agenda they agree with, minority rights can go to hell.

You give Christians everywhere a bad name. You know, the Nazis hid behind God to do their evil deeds too. But I suppose you're fine with that becaused they murdered gays. Right.

Look, I'm a Christian too. But I don't have my head up my rear when it comes to it. Don't know what God or Jesus you believe, but the God I believe in is a loving God. One that doesn't want me to judge. Judge not lest ye be judged. Remember?

Let the dead bury the dead. Let God judge the living, and the dead. You have other things to worry about. Like which homosexual you and your Southern, white hood wearing buddies are going to lynch next.

Hmmm. Looking at this post, I realize I've become as judgmental as the rest of you Christians. Fun huh?
Christian + Gay = Non Christian ? Hypocrite? Bigot?

And you claim you do not judge but in the very next breath accuse me of being in the KKK trying to lynch gays. Nice.

This is the biggest contradiction on this entire thread....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies