Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:56 AM

858 posts, read 1,501,612 times

Advertisements

I have family members that belong to union.. They are literally told who to vote for.. They are pretty much threatened by above powers.. I wish I was making this up, but I am not..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:06 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
What do they do for Non Union people?
Everything that the Republicans do for the rich.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:15 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Same thing happened in the Illinois governor race. No way in hell Quinn (D) should have won, being Blago's lt. governor and all. He was down in the polls all along for the most part until the unions infused his campaign with loads and loads of cash. Right after, Quinn repaid them with some gimmies, and lo and behold, Quinn got elected.

I was just talking to a friend of mine about how the Democratic party in Illinois should be renamed the Union party. Unions own the dems here lock, stock, and barrel but too few pay much attention, sadly.
Well, by that logic, I guess the tea party should be named the corporate party, cuz they outspent the dems 2 to 1, most of it with corporate money. So much for "grassroots."

Old 11-04-2010, 12:17 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Comprehension is key. The unions in Chicago essentially pick who will run for elected office. They fund their campaigns to ensure they win. Unions wield so much power over the democratic party here that they may as well BE the democratic party. In return for the unions' support, the elected officials give their union buddies special "deals". Just one of the "deals" Quinn gave in return for the unions' support was an agreement with the Illinois Public Employee Unions to bar the governor or his successor from laying off any public sector employees for a period of two years. Nice, huh? While the rest of the country is faced with threats of layoffs, hour cuts, salary cuts, etc. the public employee get a guaranteed job for the next two years.

I comprehend very well. The unions endorse the candidates the same as any other entity or person would endorse a Republican. So I ask you again, are you saying that every person who works for a unionized company are ONLY Democrats and will ONLY vote Democrat because their union. Yes or NO. As far as guaranteed jobs for public unions, Prove it. Provide the article of ONE public entity that has NOT had ANY layoffs due to their endorsement of a candidate. You do know there is a difference between endorsing a candidate and the actual votes?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:20 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
I have family members that belong to union.. They are literally told who to vote for.. They are pretty much threatened by above powers.. I wish I was making this up, but I am not..
Oh for heavens sake. I come from an entire family of teachers (my mom and all my sibs, plus some of their spouses), and they all belong to either AFT or the NEA. Half of them are republicans. I promise you--no one threatens them over voting. Get a grip.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:29 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,917 times
I know a lot of middle class people in their 40's that aren't into politics and all they know is what their parents taught them...the dems are for poor people and the republicans are for the rich. I was one of those but I came to my senses in 2001.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:57 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I comprehend very well. The unions endorse the candidates the same as any other entity or person would endorse a Republican. So I ask you again, are you saying that every person who works for a unionized company are ONLY Democrats and will ONLY vote Democrat because their union. Yes or NO. As far as guaranteed jobs for public unions, Prove it. Provide the article of ONE public entity that has NOT had ANY layoffs due to their endorsement of a candidate. You do know there is a difference between endorsing a candidate and the actual votes?
Apparently you don't comprehend very well. This has nothing to do with the union employees and everything to do with the union BOSSES. They use the money from the dues they collect to endorse and back candidates. In return, they get special treatment and favors not afforded to any other sector. Pay-to-play politics? THEY are the ones that struck the deal with Quinn that disallows the state from laying off any of the union members for two years.

Quote:
Just days after being endorsed by the state's largest employee union, the Quinn administration has reached a deal not to lay off any of the union's members or close any facilities in which they work until at least mid-2012.

Under a tentative pact that the state says it expects to sign later this week, some 50,000 state workers who are members of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees would have their jobs protected until June 30, 2012 — a third of the way into the term of the next governor.
Quote:
The deal was struck last Monday, Sept. 13 —two days after AFSCME announced it was endorsing Mr. Quinn... Henry Bayer, executive director of AFSCME's Illinois council, said that timing was "strictly coincidental."
Quote:
The union casts a huge presence in state elections, regularly funnelling hundreds of workers and hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign cash behind favored candidates.
Quinn cuts "no-layoff" deal with union that endorsed him | Greg Hinz | Blogs | Crain's Chicago Business

I guess you have to live here to believe it? *shrugs* but this is how Chicago politics work. Pay. To. Play.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Everything that the Republicans do for the rich.
And the dems give away for free taking! must know that.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:35 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Apparently you don't comprehend very well. This has nothing to do with the union employees and everything to do with the union BOSSES. They use the money from the dues they collect to endorse and back candidates. In return, they get special treatment and favors not afforded to any other sector. Pay-to-play politics? THEY are the ones that struck the deal with Quinn that disallows the state from laying off any of the union members for two years.

Quinn cuts "no-layoff" deal with union that endorsed him | Greg Hinz | Blogs | Crain's Chicago Business

I guess you have to live here to believe it? *shrugs* but this is how Chicago politics work. Pay. To. Play.

NO apparently you don't comprehend, not only citizens rights to vote for whom they feel will work withing their best interest, but you also fail to put your partisan rhetoric to the side and recognize that BOTH parties are owned by the Corporate entity that will assist them with their agenda. But hey, let me help you out.

Democrats are evil the Unions are too. All Republican Politicians will ONLY work for the people and can save us all because they are soooo DARN HONEST.......

Shame on the Union for endorsing the Democrats. Shame on the Unions for buying these workers a few extra weeks. Shame on those voters for exercising their rights. Shame, Shame, Shame

Old 11-04-2010, 05:45 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
People are told in a lot of ways, from a lot of sources, who to vote for. If someone told you to vote a certain way, would you do so even if you actually wanted to vote another way?

I am sure there is pressure but nobody can force your hand or stand in the voting booth with you. Get on the mail-in ballot list if you are afraid your neighbors at the poll will find out your registration status.

So let them "tell" you, then vote your conscience, and keep it to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies