Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It was crazy at Wal-Mart on the 1st of the month. Everyone and I mean everyone was swiping their food stamps cards. I asked the cashieer if I was the only one who paid in cash. She said yes so far I was. She said that some people swipe as many as 4 or 5 cards and get up to $700 in food. What an outrage! why are they using multiple cards? I have worked all my life and have never been able to spend $700 in grocery shopping.

Now that the FED has passed QE2 food prices are expected to go through the roof. Food inflation will destroy us honest non-handout taking Americans who play by the rules. But the food stamp swipers have nothing to worry about...they don't care about the price of food, it's all free to them (paid for by the struggling middle class taxpayer). I bet you anything this country has become so corrupt that their food stamp allowences will be adjusted to inflation!!! This makes me so angry. The middle class will be starving with crushing food inflation while the so called "poor' have never had it as good as they do today.They can fill their shopping carts to the brim with as much good (or junk which they seem to gravitate towards) food as they can eat.
I never pay with groceries with cash anymore, I use my bank card.

Doesn't mean its food stamps.

I'm for food stamp regulation. Personally, I think it should be a voucher system, much like WIC is. You can eat this, that, and the other, but you are limited on what you can buy.

No need for soda's. No need for potato chips. Bread, Rice, cheap cut meat, milk, water, fresh fruit and vegetables.

If you are on the government for food stamps, then your diet will be regulated to the most nutrient rich foods possible, that are the most cost effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 04:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It sure is a shame, my Mom lives in a poor part of town, people buy food at mini marts which cost twice that of a store, they don't earn the money so they don't care.
People will instinctively save money if they can...even food stamp users.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:13 PM

16 posts, read 10,271 times
I should add that some people do need food stamps and Government assistance, and Im all for it, but some people really take advantage of the system, I have seen it my whole life, and Im from New Mexico which is a very poor state.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:26 PM

728 posts, read 1,676,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
People will instinctively save money if they can...even food stamp users.
You gotta be kidding me?? Surely I missed the sarcasm in that? On my trips to Walmart and Krogers I see a good deal of food stamp users *blow* their money on Mountain Dew, potato chips, high priced microwave pizzas etc. In other words, I don't think the vegetable and fruits aisle gets a second look.
BTW, I think the OP's point is abuse of the system. No question that there Americans who need help, but so many others out there who abuse the system. However, to a liberal Pollyanna, everyone needs a bailout, right?

Old 11-04-2010, 04:34 PM

171 posts, read 326,934 times
Which is worse? A wealthy "entitled" person taking advantage of the system or a poor person taking advantage of the system. Why are they not frowned upon as much? Are they a better person because they know how to work the system, making tons of dollars, living in a multi-million dollar home and claiming only about $50,000 a year income? Get real!

Tell me the system isn't broken and people aren't facing intimidation from the implied wealthy!

I had lived in Seattle for 10 years, returned to my home state, and was in line at the drug store with a long-time friend of mine, on a cold day. The line was long, people waiting for prescriptions to be turned in and filled. A woman wearing a long furry, beautiful coat and fancy hair-do bypassed everyone and went straight to the front of about 10 people waiting in line. Nobody said anything! I could not stand it and started grumbling about the unfairness. Finally 3 of us banded together, confronted her, and she quietly went to the back of the line where she belonged!

My friend made the statement afterwards, in the woman's defense: "Well, she looked like she was well off, so they should not have said anything to her."

And I thought I knew my friend! Why would she say such a thing? She's been money poor all her life.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:34 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
You gotta be kidding me?? Surely I missed the sarcasm in that? On my trips to Walmart and Krogers I see a good deal of food stamp users *blow* their money on Mountain Dew, potato chips, high priced microwave pizzas etc. In other words, I don't think the vegetable and fruits aisle gets a second look.
BTW, I think the OP's point is abuse of the system. No question that there Americans who need help, but so many others out there who abuse the system. However, to a liberal Pollyanna, everyone needs a bailout, right?

You are correct I was talking about abuse... also chronic use. I do think food stamps should be available as a short term emergency, not a lifestyle.
There should be more regulations such as drug tests, restrictions on junk food, and perhaps some type of forced birth control so they don't add another mouth to feed.

Also, no adjustments for inflation. The average worker is going to get wiped out by QE2, It is VERY unfair for the food stamp user to be able to avoid this crushing inflation while others have to suffer.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
Which is worse? A wealthy "entitled" person taking advantage of the system or a poor person taking advantage of the system. Why are they not frowned upon as much? Are they a better person because they know how to work the system, making tons of dollars, living in a multi-million dollar home and claiming only about $50,000 a year income? Get real!

Tell me the system isn't broken and people aren't facing intimidation from the implied wealthy!

I had lived in Seattle for 10 years, returned to my home state, and was in line at the drug store with a long-time friend of mine, on a cold day. The line was long, people waiting for prescriptions to be turned in and filled. A woman wearing a long furry, beautiful coat and fancy hair-do bypassed everyone and went straight to the front of about 10 people waiting in line. Nobody said anything! I could not stand it and started grumbling about the unfairness. Finally 3 of us banded together, confronted her, and she quietly went to the back of the line where she belonged!

My friend made the statement afterwards, in the woman's defense: "Well, she looked like she was well off, so they should not have said anything to her."

And I thought I knew my friend! Why would she say such a thing? She's been money poor all her life.
Thats what I don't get. When someone rich takes advantage of a tax cut, they are just being good businessmen. But when a poor person takes advantage of a government program, they are being bad, and should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:41 PM

516 posts, read 375,681 times
Most poor people are poor because of the choices THEY made in life. We could cut 50+% off of food stamps and aid programs with all the fraud and waste going on there. The requirements should be difficult and I hope the republicans introduce reforms to slow the growth of this fraud down. Get off the forums and get an education, get out and look for a job, or start a small business and leave us the hell alone with your holier than thou preaching about how you need MY money. I made the right choices in life with no breaks for me. You should have too.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1 View Post
Most poor people are poor because of the choices THEY made in life. We could cut 50+% off of food stamps and aid programs with all the fraud and waste going on there. The requirements should be difficult and I hope the republicans introduce reforms to slow the growth of this fraud down. Get off the forums and get an education, get out and look for a job, or start a small business and leave us the hell alone with your holier than thou preaching about how you need MY money. I made the right choices in life with no breaks for me. You should have too.
Wrong, most people are poor because they were born to a poor family.

poverty cycle
Set of factors or events by which poverty, once started, is likely to continue unless there is outside intervention. Once an area or a person has become poor, this tends to lead to other disadvantages, which may in turn result in further poverty. The situation is often found in inner city areas and shanty towns. Applied to countries, the poverty cycle is often called the development trap.

Its called the poverty cycle, and you should really learn about it.

Its extremely hard to break without outside help.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I never pay with groceries with cash anymore, I use my bank card.

Doesn't mean its food stamps.

I'm for food stamp regulation. Personally, I think it should be a voucher system, much like WIC is. You can eat this, that, and the other, but you are limited on what you can buy.

No need for soda's. No need for potato chips. Bread, Rice, cheap cut meat, milk, water, fresh fruit and vegetables.

If you are on the government for food stamps, then your diet will be regulated to the most nutrient rich foods possible, that are the most cost effective.

I agree with this! I was behind a lady in the store today and she bought gum, juice and five snicker bars with her EBT. Okay, now I could see if she had groceries but she only had JUNK. There should be some restrictions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies