Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

I don't see any mention here of Bret Baier's Thursday evening interview with John Boehner. If you voted Republican and are worried that DC still hasn't gotten the message, in the words of Tony Soprano, "fuggedaboutit." You will be heartened by this interview video. I know I was. Baier gives Boehner every opportunity to be wishy-washy Kumbayaish and Boehner doesn't bite:

FoxNews.com - Breaking News | Latest News | Current News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 AM

914 posts, read 4,445,177 times
I'm sorry, didn't the Republicans spend the last two years whining that the Democrats refused to compromise with them? Didn't they call the Democrats "thugs" when the Democrats pointed out that the will of the American votes brought Democrats into office? Despite what is said in the interview, Republicans do not have control of Congress, they have control of the House of Representatives. They are in no position to enact Republican policies. They are a position to compromise, but based on the interview, they would rather continue to be obstructionist than get some relief for the American people.

This is why I am not a Republican anymore. America is a two party system. For the last ten years or so, the Republicans have refused hands down to work with the Democrats, and it is to the detriment to the American public. And it's childish. You don't have to be all that politically savvy to see the Republican game plan. They will spend the next two years making sure nothing gets done and then claim in 2012 that it is the Democrat's fault. It is what they spent the last two years doing. It is political strategy that has absolutely nothing to do with improving the economy or bring jobs back to America. If they cared at all about that, they would work with the Democrats to find a solution. They don't want a solution, they want power back. Absolutely nothing more. And if someone points this out, they'll cry "liberal media!" despite the fact that media consolidation meant that the a "liberal media" is now an impossibility because the almost all big telecom companies are owned by politically active Republicans.

It is a shame that the Democrats don't call Republicans thugs right back. The main reason people are sick of the Democrats is that the don't stand up for themselves. It has nothing to do not explaining things well enough, and everything to do with the fact that they can't call bull**** when they should. I'm not saying they should be obstructionist, I'm saying they should call the Republicans out on their stupid little games so maybe Washington members of both parties can do what we put them there to do and fix this mess.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
I'm sorry, didn't the Republicans spend the last two years whining that the Democrats refused to compromise with them? Didn't they call the Democrats "thugs" when the Democrats pointed out that the will of the American votes brought Democrats into office? Despite what is said in the interview, Republicans do not have control of Congress, they have control of the House of Representatives. They are in no position to enact Republican policies. They are a position to compromise, but based on the interview, they would rather continue to be obstructionist than get some relief for the American people.

This is why I am not a Republican anymore. America is a two party system. For the last ten years or so, the Republicans have refused hands down to work with the Democrats, and it is to the detriment to the American public. And it's childish. You don't have to be all that politically savvy to see the Republican game plan. They will spend the next two years making sure nothing gets done and then claim in 2012 that it is the Democrat's fault. It is what they spent the last two years doing. It is political strategy that has absolutely nothing to do with improving the economy or bring jobs back to America. If they cared at all about that, they would work with the Democrats to find a solution. They don't want a solution, they want power back. Absolutely nothing more. And if someone points this out, they'll cry "liberal media!" despite the fact that media consolidation meant that the a "liberal media" is now an impossibility because the almost all big telecom companies are owned by politically active Republicans.

It is a shame that the Democrats don't call Republicans thugs right back. The main reason people are sick of the Democrats is that the don't stand up for themselves. It has nothing to do not explaining things well enough, and everything to do with the fact that they can't call bull**** when they should. I'm not saying they should be obstructionist, I'm saying they should call the Republicans out on their stupid little games so maybe Washington members of both parties can do what we put them there to do and fix this mess.
Well said

Old 11-05-2010, 10:30 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't see any mention here of Bret Baier's Thursday evening interview with John Boehner. If you voted Republican and are worried that DC still hasn't gotten the message, in the words of Tony Soprano, "fuggedaboutit." You will be heartened by this interview video. I know I was. Baier gives Boehner every opportunity to be wishy-washy Kumbayaish and Boehner doesn't bite:

FoxNews.com - Breaking News | Latest News | Current News
At the end of the day it is all bs. The Republicans will toe the line that the special interests who fund their election campaigns want. Just like the Democrats.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:30 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post

The "will of the people" exists in the HOUSE only. That is were the individual districts of the country get their say. It is OBAMA that has to compromise, not the GOP.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:41 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
People want republicans to stand up and stand strong on their principles. Which is limited gov, Repealing Obamacare, Lower taxes, on issues like that from the looks of the election Tue people dont want compromise on those issues. Thats why Rubio carried almost the entire state of Fla. People want politicians to stand on their principles. Enough of this saying one thing and doing another.

I do find it funny though that now democrats are all for compromise now.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
People want republicans to stand up and stand strong on their principles. Which is limited gov, Repealing Obamacare, Lower taxes, on issues like that from the looks of the election Tue people dont want compromise on those issues. Thats why Rubio carried almost the entire state of Fla. People want politicians to stand on their principles. Enough of this saying one thing and doing another.

Maybe you've missed Mitch and other Republicans that have already stated kind of backed tracked on their campaign rhetoric.

Repealing HC - will not occur anytime soon, they will instead "Hold the administration accountable" In otherwords, stall until the 2012 election.

Lowering taxes - with the possibility of raising the debt ceiling, I see that as out of the realm of possibility, but like those of you on the right with your assumptions, that is just my opinion.

Limiting Gov - Already talks of creating oversight committee's. Good luck with the limiting government.

Now will they stand up for "the people" that voted for them or the Corporations that funded them? Just like Any other Green Blooded Politician no matter party affiliation. Lol you actually believe the Republicans will be any different.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:50 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
The "will of the people" exists in the HOUSE only. That is were the individual districts of the country get their say. It is OBAMA that has to compromise, not the GOP.
That's bull****!

The will of Corporate America exist in the House.

You have Congressman Joe Barton who actually APOLOGIZED to BP during congressional hearings. He was the LARGEST receiver of campaign funding from the petroleum industry.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:52 AM

914 posts, read 4,445,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
All of our politicians were put there by the "will of the people". It exists in our entire legislature as well as in our presidency.

Quote:
You think it is funny that Americans made a statement about wanting more conservative politics on Tuesday and Democrats are willing to work with that?

Old 11-05-2010, 10:55 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post

Well now words will have to become actions. I'm going to sit back and see how this works out.

Can you explain to me how you repeal the health reform legislation without control of the Senate and with the power of the veto resting with the President?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies