Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:37 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,418 times

Advertisements

When I was 16, I worked at a Super Market after school. I've always known about Food Stamps existing, but I never heard of WIC. We had to do a 1/2 day training in regards to what WIC is, how it works, how to process it on the register, etc.

Once I started to see it more often, I realized that it's a terrific program that (at least to my knowledge) is hard to abuse. You get a check and a list of food that your able to buy INCLUDING the ounces or amounts. What's even nicer is that, the people don't receive change and the money just goes back to the WIC office (yet, people would fight with us about it, lol)

So, why shouldn't Food Stamps act more like WIC? If my tax dollars are going to be used in order to help families (yes yes I know people abuse it, but not everyone) eat.. I rather them eat real food and not Cheetos.

Never understood why people can use food stamps for sodas, chips, COLD prepared foods like subs/sandwiches, and other crappy not-even-real-food.

Would you support this? If not, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 05:49 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,770,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
When I was 16, I worked at a Super Market after school. I've always known about Food Stamps existing, but I never heard of WIC. We had to do a 1/2 day training in regards to what WIC is, how it works, how to process it on the register, etc.

Once I started to see it more often, I realized that it's a terrific program that (at least to my knowledge) is hard to abuse. You get a check and a list of food that your able to buy INCLUDING the ounces or amounts. What's even nicer is that, the people don't receive change and the money just goes back to the WIC office (yet, people would fight with us about it, lol)

So, why shouldn't Food Stamps act more like WIC? If my tax dollars are going to be used in order to help families (yes yes I know people abuse it, but not everyone) eat.. I rather them eat real food and not Cheetos.

Never understood why people can use food stamps for sodas, chips, COLD prepared foods like subs/sandwiches, and other crappy not-even-real-food.

Because, contrary to popular belief, the food stamps programs was put in place to help farmers (now agribusiness) and not low income people. The program now helps food retailers and even some restaurants.

You better believe I favor WIC over food stamps. It makes more sense.
I don't want my tax dollars to contribute to the national epidemic of hypertension and diabetes.

It is a good idea. Kudos to you. Write your congressman and senators and tell them about it. See what happens.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:07 PM

952 posts, read 943,012 times
Quote:

Yes I would support much that would reduce abuse, hold responsible, and accountaable those who use tax-payer funded social services of any sort.

Candy, soda, chips tabacco or any benefits to illegal aliens would be on my hit list...

why...because those footing the bill have the right to set the guidelines and standards, and protect themselves from abuse and being taken for granted by others irresponsible, indolent, or crooked, who undermine entire programs.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:14 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
When I was a kid there was food banks where you picked up your food, not name brand but plenty of it, I had a few friends on the system, I think it was better than what we have now.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:29 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
I've said for a long time now that we should have food vouchers for those below a certain income level.

Bread, juice, milk, eggs, meat in weight for the size of the family, etc.

But stop the buying soda, chips, and expensive foods that are sometimes bought with the EBT card.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:56 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Nothing is bad for you in the proper amounts, even chips and soda. On the other hand, you can turn into a lard-ass on just bread, juice, milk, eggs and meat. Your weight and health depend on a lot of lifestyle choices, not just what the government will buy you at the store.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:10 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Nothing is bad for you in the proper amounts, even chips and soda. On the other hand, you can turn into a lard-ass on just bread, juice, milk, eggs and meat. Your weight and health depend on a lot of lifestyle choices, not just what the government will buy you at the store.
I'm not saying "no one should eat chips and soda". However, our food stamps program is meant for low income person or families to.. eat. When your poor and your going to eat food.. it should be real food. Chips and sodas aren't food.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:42 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
Quote:

I agree with you. WIC is a wonderful program. I have to admit, over 25 years ago, my husband and I lost our business, we had no income, and I was pregnant at the time. I swallowed my pride and took advantage of WIC. It was no frills, but the milk, cereal, etc. really helped us limp along for a while. We applied for food stamps, too, but that was a lot tougher. I was pregnant, they couldn't argue that - so we got WIC with no trouble; but when we applied for the food stamps, they actually looked on us like we were scamming. We were white, MARRIED, had property, and looked middle class. I mean, they gave us these up-and-down looks; our clean, neat appearance, our clothes, my wedding ring... I felt like a bug under a microscope the way they were looking at me and asking intrusive questions, while we filled out the forms. I wonder if they would have done that if I'd been unmarried, pregnant, with a baby on my hip and two toddlers in tow? That's the way it was then.

Luckily, I found part time temp jobs which we used to buy groceries. By the time we actually received the food stamps, months later, my baby was several weeks old, and my husband had found a good job. The fact that we lost our livelihood and were temporarily needy seemed to be lost on them, because we didn't "fit the mold", at least as it was almost 26 years ago. I know things are different now.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:04 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
I have no issue with a WIC approach. and I agree candy, snacks and soda should not be allowed on food stamps. and I agree no change should ever be given. and a photo should be placed on thte card so they can not be sold or bartered.. And if you are caught doing so have those rights permanently revoked.
There is no reason the fraud can't be cleaned up. as well as the diet.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:17 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
The only way is to get the check out person to stop the abuse. Too bad there is not a system that would disallow those purchases automatically. A system that would automatically give them a cash total at the end of their purchase for food not accepted by the card. Food producers and distributors would lobby hard against it.
I think if social workers case loads were not so heavy they could require a food stamp recipient to turn in their register receipt and have the case worker decrease their allotment based on how much unnecessary items that were bought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies