Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times

Advertisements

U.S. war effort in Afghanistan currently costs — about $5.7 billion per month, according to the Congressional Research Service, or roughly $190 million per day. How could a peaceful state visit cost more than a war?

Obama's India trip: $200 million a day? | The Economist

Scariest thing about it? These people who believe this inane babble of bologna, VOTE. They even use the internet to "spread the word." They've probably heard of "The Google." Well, the Google debunked that rumor in about 20 seconds.

I saw this same thing when I went to a friend's church. He had recently became a junior pastor in training there, and was under the wing of the head pastor. He wanted me to hear his mentor. I said, "That'd be fine." and lo and behold, I went. In any case, the sermon began and the man was quoting scripture - and getting his crowd all excited with the Word of God.

I've failed to mention that my father was a minister for many years. You could say, I've read most of the Bible - a few times. I'm not religious, but I know a few things. And I knew the pastor was misquoting the scriptures. He wasn't off by much...ususally....but he was off.

It just takes one man to throw a brick, to set the town on fire.

THe point is...I'm sad. I'm sad to think that people don't look at things with a state of mind of fact checking and proof reading, but just go from passion. Because passion, while awesome, can be your undoing. It can be a country's undoing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 01:42 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,765,463 times
Welcome back to America... how was your trip over in reality?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:58 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
The general public prefers the nasty stuff.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:52 PM

7,948 posts, read 9,160,764 times
How much is the trip costing? Last I heard the White House was refusing to give the cost due to "security concerns". Anyone have a link to the exact amount?

Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
They are both obscene wastes of money. Our government takes so much of all our incomes that money means nothing to them. Or rather, OUR money means nothing to them. I'm sure none of them contribute a penny of their own money to support their aristocratic lifestyles. Public servants, right. More like Gods of the Public sheeple.

How about if each politician had to spend a 16-hour day on an assembly line, for every billion of our dollars they spent? Would they be so quick to throw money away if they had the tiniest stake in it? With our current system, there is no "cost" to politicians for spending our money. It is win-win for them, in power, and in giving favors to those rich enough to reward them. All using the monopoly-money taxpayers dollars.

When a worker spends money, he is limited by the fact that it cost him dearly to earn it. When looking at a steak versus a hamburger at the grocery store, the worker thinks "I had to work 2 hours to earn that steak, but only one hour to earn the hamburger. Since I only earn so much, I'd better buy the hamburger and have money over to pay for fixing the car when it breaks."

But when a politician spends money, he didn't have to earn it. All he thinks is "If I vote for pork in Senator Shmoe's state, he'll vote for pork in my state!" And he's not limited by only the trillions confiscated from American worker's earnings. There are no limits! Spend infinitely and borrow infinitely.

Why should government care about not being wasteful? Anytime a gross waste of taxpayers' dollars is pointed out, citizens who support their political party jump to claim that the opposite party wastes tons of money, too. Which is true.

Our government is beyond caring whether we find their abuses of power or ultra-expensive vacations outrageous. They think we are their slaves. Whatever we earn is theirs to take, and use however it benefits them most.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:23 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
U.S. war effort in Afghanistan currently costs — about $5.7 billion per month, according to the Congressional Research Service, or roughly $190 million per day. How could a peaceful state visit cost more than a war?

Obama's India trip: $200 million a day? | The Economist

Scariest thing about it? These people who believe this inane babble of bologna, VOTE. They even use the internet to "spread the word." They've probably heard of "The Google." Well, the Google debunked that rumor in about 20 seconds.

I saw this same thing when I went to a friend's church. He had recently became a junior pastor in training there, and was under the wing of the head pastor. He wanted me to hear his mentor. I said, "That'd be fine." and lo and behold, I went. In any case, the sermon began and the man was quoting scripture - and getting his crowd all excited with the Word of God.

I've failed to mention that my father was a minister for many years. You could say, I've read most of the Bible - a few times. I'm not religious, but I know a few things. And I knew the pastor was misquoting the scriptures. He wasn't off by much...ususally....but he was off.

THe point is...I'm sad. I'm sad to think that people don't look at things with a state of mind of fact checking and proof reading, but just go from passion. Because passion, while awesome, can be your undoing. It can be a country's undoing.
It's just proves that people will believe ANYTHING that the Hannity, Beck, and Limbaugh media propagandist will put out.

ANYTHING!

It also proves that people hate President Obama so much they are willing to insult their own intelligence believing this crap.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:10 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. - Fredrick Douglass

It is easy to start a war, in fact nearly any moron can do it. It is even easy to get a nation to desire war, you merely claim great threat whether real or imagined, denounce the dissenters as pacifist and unpatriotic. Give me CNN for a year and I could get at least 20% of Americans drinking their own urine and thinking it is a cure for male pattern baldness and shrinks thigh fat.

Remember the sicko who said the following?

"Why of course the people don't want war. Why should some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally, the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ... Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."

Yes, it is certainly a dangerous thing for a man to throw a brick or light a fire, but what about those who crowd him and stand there with their hands in their pocket. Do they not share the guilt and shame by their inaction?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:55 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
How much is the trip costing? Last I heard the White House was refusing to give the cost due to "security concerns". Anyone have a link to the exact amount?
I can tell you what it's not.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:20 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,378,514 times
Last night the news announced that Boeing got an order for 30 or 300 jets (something) from India or one of those countries over there. I wasn't paying much attention.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:24 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
I've yet to see/hear a cost for this trip from the White House. I could care less what the The Economist says. The bottom line is that the WH will neither confirm nor deny the cost of the trip. That, in and of itself, is enough to make me skeptical, no matter what the actual number is.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 11-08-2010 at 01:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies