Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 03:46 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,042,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Remember it's only 15% that don't have insurance
And A LOT that do have insurance get it through Government job, VA, Tricare, Military, Medicare, Medicaid,
and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP).

THE SELF EMPLOYED that insure themselves are the only ones NOT GETTING ANY SUBSIDY for their health care BY the Federal Government and TAX PAYER DOLLARS.

Republicans know there is no such thing as private
enterprise health care anymore - they prove it every time
they back Medicare Part C.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:04 PM

17,523 posts, read 24,766,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
That would be the governments wish if the OP and you liberals get your wish..
I've been a disabled veteran since the Vietnam War, the VA hasn't killed me yet. Sorry to burst your bubble

Old 11-14-2010, 05:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,720,767 times
How much can the poor really lose through bankruptcy if they are poor to begin with OP ?

Old 11-14-2010, 05:16 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,103,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I've been a disabled veteran since the Vietnam War, the VA hasn't killed me yet. Sorry to burst your bubble
The highways are really dangerous but they haven't killed me yet either.Not a recommendation I would endorse on measuring anything.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:24 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,130,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How much can the poor really lose through bankruptcy if they are poor to begin with OP ?
You obviously have no idea how much a serious illness can cost. It can overwhelm your savings, the value of your house, your IRAs, your 401Ks, all your belongings. What a snide thing to say!

Old 11-14-2010, 05:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,286,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What nonsense! Government has long played a role in health care. Before most people had insurance coverage for well care, many kids got their care at well baby clinics run by health departments. The feds paid for a lot of the immunizations. The fed still is a big immunization provider, especially among medicaid and SCHIP patients. It's been less than 25 years since insurance routinely paid for immunizations.

Medicare has benefitted many elderly and disabled. Most elderly couldn't get insurance prior to medicare, as it was not profitable for the ins. cos to provide it.
Its private enterprise that create drugs to take them to market, its private enterprise that funds that creation, its private enterprise that researches, creates new patents, operating methods etc. Government benefits form this PRIVATE enterprise investment. Not the other way around.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Republicans know there is no such thing as private
enterprise health care anymore - they prove it every time
they back Medicare Part C.
Republicans never claimed there was..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I bet as a disabled veteran you benefit greatly from technology and
research being done by private enterprise.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:57 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,130,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its private enterprise that create drugs to take them to market, its private enterprise that funds that creation, its private enterprise that researches, creates new patents, operating methods etc. Government benefits form this PRIVATE enterprise investment. Not the other way around.
Not entirely. Lots of research is done by universities, which are often themselves government funded, and the source of funds for the research is often the govt.

Anyway, you are deflecting.

Vaccines: VFC/VFC main page
The VFC program is a federally funded program that provides vaccines at no cost to children who might not otherwise be vaccinated because of inability to pay. VFC was created by the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 as a new entitlement program to be a required part of each state's Medicaid plan. The program was officially implemented in October 1994.

317 Coalition (http://www.317coalition.org/learnmore/ - broken link)
Authorized under Section 317 of the Public Health Service Act, federal funding for the 317 grant program was launched in 1963

Here is a history from one health department:
City of Akron: Health Department: History (http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/health04/history.html - broken link)
By 1942, Elizabeth Park Well Baby Clinic is established in the Elizabeth Park housing project.

These well baby clinics were conducted in health departments all over the county. I worked at several in differnet states.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:05 PM

764 posts, read 1,560,819 times
If my "poor" friends spent half as much money as they do on cigarettes than they could afford health insurance. If they spent half as much money on alcohol than they could afford health insurance. If they spent half as much money on weed than they could afford health insurance. People need to be responsible for themselves, social entitlements could be solved if people would just be responsible: social security, medicare, obamacare, welfare...when does it end?

It doesn't end is the answer.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not entirely. Lots of research is done by universities, which are often themselves government funded, and the source of funds for the research is often the govt.

Anyway, you are deflecting.

Vaccines: VFC/VFC main page
The VFC program is a federally funded program that provides vaccines at no cost to children who might not otherwise be vaccinated because of inability to pay. VFC was created by the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 as a new entitlement program to be a required part of each state's Medicaid plan. The program was officially implemented in October 1994.

317 Coalition (http://www.317coalition.org/learnmore/ - broken link)
Authorized under Section 317 of the Public Health Service Act, federal funding for the 317 grant program was launched in 1963

Here is a history from one health department:
City of Akron: Health Department: History (http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/health04/history.html - broken link)
By 1942, Elizabeth Park Well Baby Clinic is established in the Elizabeth Park housing project.

These well baby clinics were conducted in health departments all over the county. I worked at several in differnet states.
Universities are not funded by the government. Education To those universities might be, but most university research is done by private enterprises who pay for the research to be done..

And those medicaid plans to buy vaccines again wouldnt be of value if there was no private enterprises doing the research. Even the federal government contracts with private enterprises to do research..

this is what happens when you get government involved.. http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ne-flu-vaccine

Sorry, but you can keep the incompetence..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies