Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 06:42 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/11/op...cism.html?_r=0

In retrospect, I still remember how horrific Boston acted regarding busing, and IMO as a young MLB fan, it appeared to me the city revered the far less talented Fred Lynn as opposed to Jim Rice. I questioned if racism was at play.

Having lived in middle Tn, I know racism still exists big-time in rural Southern regions (I witnessed attitudes that would have felt at home in the Jim Crow era), but IMO Nashville and close by suburbs were pretty good , having evolved, on that issue, and welcoming to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 08:05 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/11/op...cism.html?_r=0

In retrospect, I still remember how horrific Boston acted regarding busing, and IMO as a young MLB fan, it appeared to me the city revered the far less talented Fred Lynn as opposed to Jim Rice. I questioned if racism was at play.

Having lived in middle Tn, I know racism still exists big-time in rural Southern regions (I witnessed attitudes that would have felt at home in the Jim Crow era), but IMO Nashville and close by suburbs were pretty good , having evolved, on that issue, and welcoming to all.
I agree that racism exist everywhere. It appears in different forms throughout the country. Many are shocked when I tell stories of racist encounters in Chicago. I personally think that southerners are like people in the northeast midwest and other parts of the country. The south isn't the only place with racial issues. Looking at the race issue from different angles, the south is better.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:11 AM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
ahh racism, what would we discuss without it? it is a two way street you know? i have witnessed it too, just not within the narrative of our handlers plan.. what do you call police brutality if the perp is white?

Old 01-12-2015, 08:24 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
". They are still giving a version of the same talk their ancestors gave their children back in the old country of the South, about answering yes, sir, and no, sir, and watching how they comport themselves around the upper caste and the police."

Pretty good advice for white folks too.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I agree that racism exist everywhere. It appears in different forms throughout the country. Many are shocked when I tell stories of racist encounters in Chicago. I personally think that southerners are like people in the northeast midwest and other parts of the country. The south isn't the only place with racial issues. Looking at the race issue from different angles, the south is better.
That's the southern meme, all right. I confess I have never lived in the deep south, just Delaware and Maryland, two border states. Of the two, Delaware was the less racist, IMO. Now mind you, I'm not saying there's NO racism in northern states, and considering that I have known many racists from Chicago, I am hardly surprised to hear of racist encounters there.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:11 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times
No question racism still exists all over, not just in the South. But some white 'cultures' are also more 'xenophobic' than others. For example here in California, most major urban areas are pretty well integrated, with a huge array of different cultures living and working alongside each other.

Except when you go inland into the rural & overwhelmingly white enclaves of northern California, where black folks are still relatively rare… perhaps it's no coincidence that these are also the most concentrated populations in the state for "Okies", who are basically the descendants of the Scots-Irish (aka, "Ulster Scots") that largely first settled the ante-bellum South and Appalachia. And even today, old 'cultural' habits die hard.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:30 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Yes,racism in different forms.

For example,you can make a lot of $$ in the north,but just do not live in white neighborhoods.

In the south,its flipped.
You can live in white neighborhoods,but just do not make too much money.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:14 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
There are three regions in America: Down South, Up South, and Out South.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:20 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
The South is not better in race relations. Whoever thinks that needs to be slapped.

Racism just takes on a more subtle form in the North. It is rooted in the slanted criminal justice system and housing discrimination. In the North, whites just don't want to live near you. In the South, poor whites hate you altogether AND don't want to live near you.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:33 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The South is not better in race relations. Whoever thinks that needs to be slapped.

Racism just takes on a more subtle form in the North. It is rooted in the slanted criminal justice system and housing discrimination. In the North, whites just don't want to live near you. In the South, poor whites hate you altogether AND don't want to live near you.
^ agreed 100%

I live on Long Island, born and raised here. And racism around here is .... different. It's not "in your face" racism ala Jim Crow era deep South racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies