Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 06:07 PM

68,347 posts, read 54,470,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well..what a lot of these self impressed experts on Alaska (who've probably never even been there) don't get is that the Republicans don't like Sarah Palin either, especially not after her boy Miller didn't behave in anything resembling a professional and rational way during the Senate race.

They blame it all on the crazed left...when we all know that the Republican Party in Alaska was one of Sarah's worst enemies.
I never followed politics there, who elected her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 06:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,787,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I never followed politics there, who elected her?
The people of Alaska elected her. But the voters aren't all that partisan, though in recent years I'd say it's becoming more that way due to recent transplants.

Sarah looked and sounded good; she got a lot of the Dem vote. The proceeding governor, Frank Murkowski, was so deeply in disfavor that we would have elected pretty much anyone rather than put him back in office.

And before she quit as governor, she actually worked quite well with the Dems in the state legislature (when she bothered to show up for sessions that is).

Alaska is...a bit different politically. The strong partisan lines that seem to be in place in most of the -48 just aren't all that strong there. Quite a substantial number of voters are registered as independents, and ten percent of the population are registered as members of the Alaskan Independence party.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:20 PM

37,958 posts, read 17,900,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, that's too bad. She really does epitomize the TP movement.

I'm positive you wouldn't be reading it anyway.
I enjoy listening to Palin. She's coming around to actual Tea party ideals and carries a lot of clout. However, until she realizes our empire is over extended and needs to be reeled in, she does not represent the Tea Party. Just another Teo Con who has latched onto the Tea Party band wagon imo.

Unless more of the "self appointed" Tea Party leaders do a 180 and call for the withdrawal of our troops, all they represent to me is a bunch of band wagon jumpers. Smaller government, except for my causes, is the same bunch of hogwash that continues to bankrupt our nation.

Cut military spending and use that money to take care of our obligations to Americans. A small plus would be the economy picking up if the troops were home spending their money here.

go small or go home

Old 11-13-2010, 06:21 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,990,690 times
Quote:
Does that include the one the ditz filed against herself?

Quite a few of those other complaints, by the way, were filed by members of the Republican party.
Nonsense. Most of them were filed by the shannon creature and her cohorts.

Quote:
Please do return the favor and do all you can do to win her the 2012 nomination
Oh, I don't want her running in 2012. That would be a mistake.

Quote:
Since when are ghost written facebook rantings a "national platform"?

She does have that TV show now, though...I didn't watch but heard that it featured Sarah and Todd climbing rocks or some such.

Saw her book in the dollar store bin the other day...
Of course she writes her own pieces.....unless you have proof otherwise.

Quote:
Record?

What'd she get?

3-5 for impersonating a leader?

Wake up! Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
a record of 32-17 is pretty good, much better than say one of 1-5.

Quote:
I think that a good majority of those who voted for Lisa would have voted for McAddams if the only other option had been Joe Miller. Towards the end of the election, he wasn't coming across too well.
Hogwash and nonsense. A good portion of the vote was for McAdams - we can surmise those were dems. The write-in are a few thousand more than Miller. We can conclude those are moderate and republicans. If you were to split the write in 50-50, Miller would win. Who are you trying to fool? Of course Miller would have won without Lisa in there.

Quote:
Pretty simplistic. Alaskan voters are not nearly as partisan as you -48ers. Pretty much all the dems I know in Alaska wrote in Lisa's name
Oh? How about the 54,000 that voted for McAdams? I imagine you know them all, right?

Old 11-13-2010, 06:24 PM

68,347 posts, read 54,470,554 times
Quote:
The people of Alaska elected her. But the voters aren't all that partisan, though in recent years I'd say it's becoming more that way due to recent transplants.

Sarah looked and sounded good; she got a lot of the Dem vote. The proceeding governor, Frank Murkowski, was so deeply in disfavor that we would have elected pretty much anyone rather than put him back in office.
Pretty much what American politics has devolved to, anybody but the incumbent.

I hope someday I'll be able to once again actually vote for someone I believe in rather than the lesser evil.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Hogwash and nonsense. A good portion of the vote was for McAdams - we can surmise those were dems. The write-in are a few thousand more than Miller. We can conclude those are moderate and republicans. If you were to split the write in 50-50, Miller would win. Who are you trying to fool? Of course Miller would have won without Lisa in there.

Oh? How about the 54,000 that voted for McAdams? I imagine you know them all, right?
No sanrene, we cannot "conclude" that at all. As I've already stated, Alaska is nowhere near as partisan as your little world is.

Joe Miller showed signs of extreme instability during the last few weeks of the election and was also caught in a series of unfortunate lies.

Even if the voters who elected Lisa were all "moderates and republicans"...if you think that they would have voted in Miller, you're wrong.

Naturally I don't know everyone in the state, but in many ways Alaska is rather like a small town. The anti-Miller sentiment there was rampant outside of the die hard tea party members. The people who voted for Lisa would not have automatically gone with Miller instead of with the Dem. It just isn't that simple.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Of course she writes her own pieces.....unless you have proof otherwise.
Please, Sanrene; it's common knowledge:

Sarah Palin Profile Reveals Her Facebook Ghostwriter And Spendthrift Ways | TPMMuckraker

Old 11-13-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Nonsense. Most of them were filed by the shannon creature and her cohorts.
More of your misinformation, I see. I'm unable to find where Shannyn filed any of the complaints against Sarah...though there have been so many that I'm possibly missing one.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:38 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,990,690 times
Quote:
No sanrene, we cannot "conclude" that at all.
We can stipulate a generous 50-50 split with the write in vote - Miller wins.

A 60-40 split in favor of the dem - Miller wins.

Clearly, without Lisa in there, Miller wins, so just stop - this thread is about Palin's letter to the new GOP majority newbies.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
We can stipulate a generous 50-50 split with the write in vote - Miller wins.

A 60-40 split in favor of the dem - Miller wins.

Clearly, without Lisa in there, Miller wins, so just stop - this thread is about Palin's letter to the new GOP majority newbies.
No, I won't stop correcting your fallacious claims.

Of course neither one of us can definitively say what would have happened had Lisa not kept the best interests of Alaska at heart and ran as a write in candidate...but you're imposing your own partisanship on a part of the country where that really doesn't apply so much. Miller became so unpalatable to the people of Alaska that most of the write ins most likely would have gone to the Dem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies