Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:58 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I guess his 'philanthropy' is directed overseas.
i am not a Bill Gates lover but regardless of where the jobs go, he is a Philianthoropist.

Nita

Old 12-06-2010, 04:28 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
You need to educate yourself as to what an H1(b) visa is. They are ONLY to be granted on a TEMPORARY basis to companies who make a good faith effort to TRY and find a local, domestic worker to do a job, but are unable to do so.

H1(b)'s were fine in 2000 when if you had a pulse, you had an IT job because there was such a shortage. But in this day and age for a company like Microsoft to go to the government and say "welp we tried, but we couldn't find a SINGLE unemployed techie anywhere in Seattle. Darnedest thing, huh? Can we please have an H1(b) token?" is fraudulent to the extreme. So is their assertion that they are following H1(b) rules by paying the imported worker a prevailing wage for the job as they would a domestic worker, because the whole reason they do it is so they can pay some guy from India 35 grand a year to come here and code software, whereas the prevailing wage amongst realists in the industry would be at least 95k for the same job.
I've worked in the high tech industry for over 20 years in various technical managerial and engineering positions. There isn't a damn thing you can tell me about H1-B visas that I don't know. I am well aware of the B.S. corporations pull to get H1-B workers and discrepancies in pay between H1-B workers and American workers. It's one of the reasons that the I.T. work I do now is contract.

My point is this, the wealthy and corporate interest run this country, They tell Congress what to do and Congress does it. If Congress doesn't do it the wealthy and corporate interest go out and find another group of cronies i.e. The Tea Party to go out and do their bidding.

So why should Microsoft be any different than any other corporation that games the system?

Old 12-06-2010, 04:34 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I've worked in the high tech industry for over 20 years in various technical managerial and engineering positions. There isn't a damn thing you can tell me about H1-B visas that I don't know. I am well aware of the B.S. corporations pull to get H1-B workers and discrepancies in pay between H1-B workers and American workers. It's one of the reasons that the I.T. work I do know is contract.

My point is this, the wealthy and corporate interest run this country, They tell Congress what to do and Congress does it. If Congress doesn't do it the wealthy and corporate interest go out and find another group of cronies i.e. The Tea Party to go out and do their bidding.

So why should Microsoft be any different than any other corporation that games the system?
Your position has changed in the span of 2 posts. Originally you said MSFT should be allowed to do this. Now you're saying what they're doing is despicable, but we should just deal with it because they're getting away with it. Those are two different points of view.

The point is something should be done to stop the abuse, not to say "they should be allowed to" as you originally stated (using as your reasoning that "it's a free country").

Old 12-06-2010, 04:53 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Your position has changed in the span of 2 posts. Originally you said MSFT should be allowed to do this. Now you're saying what they're doing is despicable, but we should just deal with it because they're getting away with it. Those are two different points of view.

The point is something should be done to stop the abuse, not to say "they should be allowed to" as you originally stated (using as your reasoning that "it's a free country").
The first view was sarcastic.

If Conservatives are so much for less government regulations why not let corporations do whatever the hell they want?

If corporations want to send jobs overseas let them.

If Microsoft wants to hire cheap immigrant labor that takes American jobs let them

After all why should government impose on their "freedoms"

The same people complaining about American jobs going overseas are also for less government regulation.

You can't have it both ways.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:01 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
Quote:
The first view was sarcastic.

If Conservatives are so much for less government regulations why not let corporations do whatever the hell they want?

If corporations want to send jobs overseas let them.

If Microsoft wants to hire cheap immigrant labor that takes American jobs let them

After all why should government impose on their "freedoms"

The same people complaining about American jobs going overseas are also for less government regulation.

You can't have it both ways.
Sure you can, it's called being an independent and striking a reasonable balance.

I'm all for loosening regulations and smaller government. However, I'm pragmatic enough to realize that the business world is chock full of scoundrels and cheats. That's what draws them to business in the first place, because nobody ever says they want to wear a tie and uncomfortable shoes 5 days a week when they're a kid.

I am against government nanny stating, which is what the present government is trying to implement (however, ignoring H1(b) visas, as they are either completely ignorant to the abuse or complicit in it). However, I'm also against complete de-regulation that rewards corporations for sending jobs overseas. The balance is to implement very stiff, very stringent, loophole free tax structures which give companies the OPTION to move workers overseas (or import new ones), but at a severely increased price. Put them in the position of having to make a tough decision as opposed to just taking an easy path out and then giving the country that houses them nothing in return.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
So the Op thniks that if someone gives money to starving people in a foreign country that means he isn't givi9ng. Mpore of teh give mne somethign free mister lieral talk. I guess he thnks that gates only is in the US market also.Some haven't a clue .

Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
I've worked in the high tech industry for over 20 years in various technical managerial and engineering positions. There isn't a damn thing you can tell me about H1-B visas that I don't know. I am well aware of the B.S. corporations pull to get H1-B workers and discrepancies in pay between H1-B workers and American workers. It's one of the reasons that the I.T. work I do now is contract.

Hmmm... Obama was Microsoft's candidate of choice. Corporate lackey Obama. Interesting...
Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets

Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i am not a Bill Gates lover but regardless of where the jobs go, he is a Philianthoropist.

Nita
Yes, they are pinning a medal on him - in India.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Neither does Oprahs..
Surely you jest?

Quote:
Were you just upset because Gates is white?

You and Sharpton should set up an all night game of high stakes race card poker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies