Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:40 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I see only two reasonable alternatives:
1. Let the Bush tax cuts for everyone expire next month.
2. Renew the cuts for those earning less than 250K.
Looks like the dems are going to cave, though. And the pubs will try to either gridlock any measures to restore the economy or reinstate their tax cut/trickle down jibberish that will result in higher deficits and a double dip recession. But then, no one sould expect the pubs to be reasonable. They've gone after their own reasonable members with a vengeance. The ones left behind are hyperpartisan idealogues who do not have any interest in advancing America.
While that seems to be the most reasonable option, the Repubs don't want the rich to feel a 'hit' of any kind. I would rather let ALL of the tax cuts expire rather than have them ALL extended, and use the money to extend the unemployment benefits. Of course that means that the 'middle' will be paying more taxes, at least those of us who are still employed - I don't mind paying a bit more if it helps those who are unemployed.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:23 AM

2,923 posts, read 978,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The question is should thould the government raise taxes during a recession?
no. federal taxes should always be very low. if you can't pay for something you have to get rid of it.

if you're not sure what is essential, please allow me to decide for you

Old 04-23-2019, 10:33 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Should the Ponzi scheme be allowed to continue?
Yes, but make sure everyone gets the product. That's the best way to keep it going !!!

Everyone with a basement full of soap knows that !!! Pfff

Invite all your friends over for the Super bowl party, then turn off the TV and start the meeting.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:33 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Should the Ponzi scheme be allowed to continue?
I don't think I understand the title of this thread. But somehow we have to reconcile our spending and taxing. Either

1) Congress appropriates money to be spent on various items for the following year. Then tax rates are adjusted to ensure sufficient revenue is collected to pay those bills. Or,

2) Congress sets tax rates for the coming year. Then appropriations are adjusted to fall within the anticipated revenue.

Many Republicans used to call for a Balanced Budget amendment. I'm all for it. Beware, however, that the minute this goes into effect, there will be a massive tax increase, because neither party will be willing to make the kind of cuts required to balance the budget.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:30 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I don't think I understand the title of this thread. But somehow we have to reconcile our spending and taxing. Either

1) Congress appropriates money to be spent on various items for the following year. Then tax rates are adjusted to ensure sufficient revenue is collected to pay those bills. Or,

2) Congress sets tax rates for the coming year. Then appropriations are adjusted to fall within the anticipated revenue.

Many Republicans used to call for a Balanced Budget amendment. I'm all for it. Beware, however, that the minute this goes into effect, there will be a massive tax increase, because neither party will be willing to make the kind of cuts required to balance the budget.

But instead, greedy politicians and their useful idiot voters push all this off onto our grandchildren, who will be forced to pay those increased tax rates, because greedy people wanted to make their lives easier today.

As we speak, Elizabeth Warren is running for president, proposing $1.4 trillion in new unfunded taxpayer giveaways, to make going to college free, and paying off tuition loans. Once again, saddling their grandchildren with the huge bill that will come due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies