Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 08:42 AM

13,637 posts, read 21,468,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
People generally grasp the concept that if you buy something you have to pay for it, but somehow (for some) that concept goes out the window when it comes to health care. Some seem to want presidential quality health care and expect to have no out of pocket expenses for it.

When someone buys something they generally have the power decide to buy it or not. They also have the choice to buy within their budget. In other words the consumer has power within the free market system. Such is not the case in health care many times. I don't see hospitals advertising blue light specials or coupon specials.

A better question is why are all those charges on my bill some incredibly high to begin with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:44 AM

68,404 posts, read 54,700,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A better question is why are all those charges on my bill some incredibly high to begin with?
Because in today's system they can be.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,989,778 times
Quote:
When someone buys something they generally have the power decide to buy it or not. They also have the choice to buy within their budget. In other words the consumer has power within the free market system. Such is not the case in health care many times. I don't see hospitals advertising blue light specials or coupon specials.

To keep medical costs low you have to have one of two things...competition or regualtion. Universal health care would push costs lower or you could go the free market route and increase the supply which would push costs lower. Supply could be increased by removing governments control on the supply of doctors. We have; therefore, no competition or regulation and we get high prices.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:04 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,353,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not to mention, these high deductible insurances coupled with HSAs are what the Repubs are pushing. Many people find out to their horror that the out-of-pocket expenses for a simple appendectomy can be thousands of dollars. Not everyone can afford to take that out of their take-home pay, even if it isn't taxed.

Of course, there's always "personal responsibility"!
C'mon Kat, you're being a bit disingenuous here. I happen to have a HDHP coupled with an HSA which I fund myself. My total expenses for the premiums and the amount I put into the HSA monthly is about one third that of what I was paying for a traditional insurance plan (~$600/month for the HDHP + HSA contribution vs. $1840/month for PPO plan).

My total out of pocket annual expenses for medical costs (not premiums or HSA contributions) are CAPPED at $6000/year... all of which can be paid directly out of the HSA. The coverage once that deductible is met is 100%. That means I will owe, at most, $6000 in the worst case scenario under the HDHP method. Under the PPO plan, the medical costs to me are unlimited since it's an 80/20 plan, and the monthly premiums were 3 times the cost. The HDHP coverage is much more comprehensive coverage and a better all around policy. I really don't understand why you (and others) hate these plans so much. They save on monthly costs and limit the amount of medical cost exposure the individual has as well.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,353,761 times
Quote:

Because hospitals have to foot the bill for those who don't pay i.e., illegals using our health care systems. The raise the rates on those who can/do pay to cover the losses they incur for those who can't/don't pay.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,216,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
C'mon Kat, you're being a bit disingenuous here. I happen to have a HDHP coupled with an HSA which I fund myself. My total expenses for the premiums and the amount I put into the HSA monthly is about one third that of what I was paying for a traditional insurance plan (~$600/month for the HDHP + HSA contribution vs. $1840/month for PPO plan).

My total out of pocket annual expenses for medical costs (not premiums or HSA contributions) are CAPPED at $6000/year... all of which can be paid directly out of the HSA. The coverage once that deductible is met is 100%. That means I will owe, at most, $6000 in the worst case scenario under the HDHP method. Under the PPO plan, the medical costs to me are unlimited since it's an 80/20 plan, and the monthly premiums were 3 times the cost. The HDHP coverage is much more comprehensive coverage and a better all around policy. I really don't understand why you (and others) hate these plans so much. They save on monthly costs and limit the amount of medical cost exposure the individual has as well.
I'm not lying (let's call a spade a spade). You've got a pretty good plan b/c you have enough income to fund it. My daughter, however, makes $10.40 an hour at a day care center. She's lucky to be able to afford the BC/BS she has. She passed on the dental b/c she couldn't afford the cost and we help her out with that. (She's only 23.) She can't take any more money out to put in an HSA.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:16 AM

68,404 posts, read 54,700,917 times
Quote:
Because hospitals have to foot the bill for those who don't pay i.e., illegals using our health care systems. The raise the rates on those who can/do pay to cover the losses they incur for those who can't/don't pay.
Seems more like hospitals attempt to make up for the insurance company deep discounts by screwing the uninsured.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,841,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
My wife had her hip replaced last year. The bill came to a reasonable $75,000. Our out of pocket expenses were about $2-3k. What's so bad about that?

Mine is 80% with a $5000 deductible, so I can at least say I have insurance and the lowest rate possible.
$900 a month premiums.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,989,778 times
Quote:

News Flash. Most people can't afford 600 a month for insurance and the HSA DEDUCTION.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:36 AM

4,230 posts, read 4,226,313 times
Quote:
Four bills arrived today, 30k attempted charge for a routine surgery though it was a emergency for me, but I was out the next day. What do you think? Correct or not? Granted insurance haggled the hospital down to 10k but even that is a little steep? I am responsible for 20% because insurance this year went from last of full coverage to 80/20 coverage afer deductible.

Would a hospital be willing to negotiate if it was "customer pay"? What happens or what are alternatives to someone just laid off and lost insurance and has this happen? 30k is a years salary for many, would payments reflecting to a persons income like$50, $100 or $200 a month be accepted if faced with such a high bill? What can be done to lower what medical industry is charging or should it be lowered?

This is one of the problem with health insurance in the US. If I am not mistaken, this is the only country in the world that do not list their services price. It could be 500 or 5000.

Yes, the price is ridiculous. The different between their price for non-insured and insured is crazy. I was looking at the lab price for my charge, w/o insurance, they charge 285, go through insurance, they get $48 for the same services. WTH?!?!?

They don't negotiate either. Of course, unless you are not going to pay, then they will "lower" the charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies