Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 08:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Gosh, Andrea, cool the hostility. I don't think either one of my daughters are going to hell in a handbasket; at times each of them thinks the other is.

No, I don't agree, based on what little I know about the welfare system, which seems to be more than some on this forum, that there are too many people milking the system. I don't know what would be considered an "acceptable level" for fraud. Most of the people I have known on welfare, back when I was a public health nurse, had no other means of making a living, at least at that point in time. They all had infants. Some had not graduated from high school. Some were still in high school. Few, if any, had marketable skills. Even the Bible says the poor will always be with us. This is not something we are going to eliminate b/c a few people started following politics this week and want to change everything RIGHT NOW!
I can see how an uneducated, illiterate girl might end up on welfare after she becomes pregnant the first time, but there is no excuse for the babies that come after someone is already on welfare.

That alone shows how so many have no intention of trying to get off welfare.

Welfare handouts for a pregnancy should be cut back to what working women have for maternity leave - 6 weeks should be the time required to recover from a vaginal or c-section birth.

It's completely ridiculous that the most incapable people are being given so much if they only continue to breed. They need to offer sterilization so that we're not actually breeding more poverty because that's the current situation.

The War on Poverty has been a dismal failure.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I can see how an uneducated, illiterate girl might end up on welfare after she becomes pregnant the first time, but there is no excuse for the babies that come after someone is already on welfare.

Welfare handouts for a pregnancy should be cut back to what working women have for maternity leave - 6 weeks should be the time required to recover from a vaginal or c-section birth.

It's completely ridiculous that the most incapable people are being given so much if they only continue to breed. They need to offer sterilization so that we're not actually breeding more poverty because that's the current situation.

No one is having more babies to get more ADC money...that's for sure. It aint that much money. Certainly not nearly enough to cover the expense of having another child. Not even close.

The people who keep having babies on while on welfare are just pathetic (or apathetic). They're trapped in a cycle of failure and bad habits.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:49 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Most of the people I have known on welfare, back when I was a public health nurse, had no other means of making a living, at least at that point in time.
This statement shows the attitude that I feel is a problem. Welfare is seen by some as a "way of making a living." It should never be so. It should be nothing more than a way of scraping by until one can improve their own circumstance. While welfare doesn't provide for a luxurious life, it does provide the means for people to live an acceptable life, and it's far too easy for some to continue using it for far too long. I think the system should be changed so that it is purely a temorary measure that no one will be comfortable staying with for any period of time. As Ben Franklin said,
Quote:
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:51 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Gosh, Andrea, cool the hostility. I don't think either one of my daughters are going to hell in a handbasket; at times each of them thinks the other is.

No, I don't agree, based on what little I know about the welfare system, which seems to be more than some on this forum, that there are too many people milking the system. I don't know what would be considered an "acceptable level" for fraud. Most of the people I have known on welfare, back when I was a public health nurse, had no other means of making a living, at least at that point in time. They all had infants. Some had not graduated from high school. Some were still in high school. Few, if any, had marketable skills. Even the Bible says the poor will always be with us. This is not something we are going to eliminate b/c a few people started following politics this week and want to change everything RIGHT NOW!
No hostility here. Just perpetual sarcasm.

I don't understand how you can disagree. If there is ANY fraud in the system, it's too much. This is our tax dollars at work here, why should we allow anyone to take advantage? The poor will always be with us but do we have to continue to prop up the same people, year after year? Or maybe Jesus was talking about the disabled, the elderly and the people who are temporarily down on their luck. Not the welfare mamas and generations of poor.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Agreed. Something like half of all births are paid for through Medicaid programs. There is something VERY wrong with that statistic.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No hostility here. Just perpetual sarcasm.

I don't understand how you can disagree. If there is ANY fraud in the system, it's too much. This is our tax dollars at work here, why should we allow anyone to take advantage? The poor will always be with us but do we have to continue to prop up the same people, year after year? Or maybe Jesus was talking about the disabled, the elderly and the people who are temporarily down on their luck. Not the welfare mamas and generations of poor.
So now you have some insight into Jesus' mind, too? If you want to spend loads of money ferreting out "waste, fraud and abuse", you will spend more money than you save.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
So now you have some insight into Jesus' mind, too? If you want to spend loads of money ferreting out "waste, fraud and abuse", you will spend more money than you save.

Perhaps so, but there has to be a system that is better than the one currently in existence. Revamp the whole system and start from scratch.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:47 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Camaro View Post
Hey I'm an "equal opportunity rager"!! I don't like bailouts or entitlements!! I am a big fan of taking personal responsibility for the challenges I face in life. I'd much rather work hard and solve my own problems than continuously look to an ever expanding federal, state and local government to solve my problems for me!!!
I agree. But not sure why the far right takes no issue with corruption on Wall Street, yet goes for the jugular on entitlement programs. I dont support paying for someone who has six kids and continues to have more, then gets free financial aid...but in Appalachia (where for the moment I am living til I sell) I have seen many many poor people in the next county...they are not driving Cadillacs or BMW's....yes there are a few who have kids too early in life but IMO thats the flaw of our educational system and the parents. Kids drop out of high school and have a baby, and it not something I support.

However, the poverty issue is very complex...its not a case of someone yelling "pick yourself up by the bootstraps and get a job!"..
In a CIVILIZED society, people shpuld have empathy for each other, because someday you too may need a helping hand, or help paying 6 figures in medical bills to corrupt insurance companies.

The system is broken, and until discussion centers on improving things rather than demonizing the poor while corrupt bankers get 7 figure bonuses in this country, nothing will change.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I agree. But not sure why the far right takes no issue with corruption on Wall Street, yet goes for the jugular on entitlement programs. I dont support paying for someone who has six kids and continues to have more, then gets free financial aid...but in Appalachia (where for the moment I am living til I sell) I have seen many many poor people in the next county...they are not driving Cadillacs or BMW's....yes there are a few who have kids too early in life but IMO thats the flaw of our educational system and the parents. Kids drop out of high school and have a baby, and it not something I support.

However, the poverty issue is very complex...its not a case of someone yelling "pick yourself up by the bootstraps and get a job!"..
In a CIVILIZED society, people shpuld have empathy for each other, because someday you too may need a helping hand, or help paying 6 figures in medical bills to corrupt insurance companies.

The system is broken, and until discussion centers on improving things rather than demonizing the poor while corrupt bankers get 7 figure bonuses in this country, nothing will change.
The right does take issue with corruption in all forms, including Wall Street. There has been lots of coverage of Madoff and these types of scandals. It's probably just a more complex issue to understand (tax structure, corporate handouts, unions, etc.) and that's why it doesn't seem to get as much attention. I'm not making excuses here, and I agree with you that the whole system is broken, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't overhaul the welfare system at all.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
The right does take issue with corruption in all forms, including Wall Street. There has been lots of coverage of Madoff and these types of scandals. It's probably just a more complex issue to understand (tax structure, corporate handouts, unions, etc.) and that's why it doesn't seem to get as much attention. I'm not making excuses here, and I agree with you that the whole system is broken, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't overhaul the welfare system at all.
That is pretty funny. "The Right", at least some of the more influential of them, are for unfettered, unregulated capitalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies