Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 05:23 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, gimme a break! For one thing, you really need to read up on labor relation history. Working conditions were terrible for just about everyone before unions. There was no option to "find a job somewhere else" b/c conditions were bad everywhere.

I am shocked that anyone could post that with a straight face. You were laughing, right?

I am totally against unions and they have been the downfall of a lot of buisnesses. The time and place for Unions is gone/over!

And by the way....I am NOT laughing or joking.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I am totally against unions and they have been the downfall of a lot of buisnesses. The time and place for Unions is gone/over!

And by the way....I am NOT laughing or joking.
Thank you for your support. Unions are hurting businesses.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:27 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Wow, just wow! That is why we have unions, b/c business owners said and practiced that kind of crap.
Soooo it's not someone's own fault for staying at a job that treats them unfairly? Wow, just wow. But honestly, every time I agree with you or give you credit for making a good point, you have to find *something* within my statement to start a problem with. I don't get it. I guess I'll just have to stop responding to you when you do this so we can stop nitpicking at each other. It's pointless and derails the thread.

Unions have overstayed their welcome, IMHO.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:32 PM

565 posts, read 485,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Some regulation is necessary, I agree. But if someone wants to work in an unsafe place or work for a place that has unfair labor practices, that's their problem and they are free to leave.
That type of logic reminds me of the communists I used to engage in conversations decades ago.
This is a complete denial of reality in exchange for ideological values.

Last edited by henrjam; 11-28-2010 at 05:56 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 05:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I'm sorry I don't agree with everything you say, andrea, or maybe I should say I'm sorry you don't agree with me on everything.

In regard to unions, the power of a group is a lot stronger than the power of one person quitting a job. Unions formed in response to unsafe labor conditions, not b/c some people just felt like starting a new social club. All of you who think they are useless need to read up on labor relations. It was not all kissy-face prior to unions, with benevolent business owners. Do you think people didn't just up and quit in the days before unions? The owners thought, "so what?" There was always someone else to replace them.

Labor history of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Women working under sweat shop conditions organized the first union in the early 19th centuryPlus much more.

Here's something about the benevolent coal mine owners in my state:
Ludlow Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Ludlow Massacre refers to the violent deaths of 19 people[1]:42 during an attack by the Colorado National Guard on a tent colony of 1,200 striking coal miners and their families at Ludlow, Colorado on April 20, 1914. The deaths occurred after a day-long fight between strikers and the Guard. Two women and eleven children were asphyxiated and burned to death.

Here's one that happened just a few miles from my home:
Columbine Mine massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The first Columbine Massacre, sometimes called the Columbine Mine massacre to distinguish it from the Columbine High School massacre, occurred in 1927, in the town of Serene, Colorado. A fight broke out between Colorado state police and a group of striking coal miners, during which the unarmed miners were attacked with machine guns

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-28-2010 at 05:54 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't agree with everything you say, andrea.

In regard to unions, the power of a group is a lot stronger than the power of one person quitting a job. Unions formed in response to unsafe labor conditions, not b/c some people just felt like starting a new social club. All of you who think they are useless need to read up on labor relations. It was not all kissy-face prior to unions, with benevolent business owners. Do you think people didn't do that in the days before unions?

Women working under sweat shop conditions organized the first union in the early 19th centuryPlus much more.

The Ludlow Massacre refers to the violent deaths of 19 people[1]:42 during an attack by the Colorado National Guard on a tent colony of 1,200 striking coal miners and their families at Ludlow, Colorado on April 20, 1914. The deaths occurred after a day-long fight between strikers and the Guard. Two women and eleven children were asphyxiated and burned to death.

The first Columbine Massacre, sometimes called the Columbine Mine massacre to distinguish it from the Columbine High School massacre, occurred in 1927, in the town of Serene, Colorado. A fight broke out between Colorado state police and a group of striking coal miners, during which the unarmed miners were attacked with machine guns
It is not that people are not aware of the past, but they deliberately choose to ignore it if it is in contradiction with their simplistic and usually self serving vision of what a society should be.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
That type of logic reminds me of the communists I used to engage in conversations decades ago.
This is a complete denial of reality in exchange for ideological values.
Please explain.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't agree with everything you say, andrea, or maybe I should say I'm sorry you don't agree with me on everything.

In regard to unions, the power of a group is a lot stronger than the power of one person quitting a job. Unions formed in response to unsafe labor conditions, not b/c some people just felt like starting a new social club. All of you who think they are useless need to read up on labor relations. It was not all kissy-face prior to unions, with benevolent business owners. Do you think people didn't just up and quit in the days before unions? The owners thought, "so what?" There was always someone else to replace them.

What does this have to do with 2010? How are unions of benefit today, aside from negotiating outrageous salaries and benefits? When unions strike, there is often property damage and destruction, they would rather take the whole company down (and their source of income) than negotiate peacefully or just stick it out and look for another job. My grandpa used to work for Eastern Airlines and lost his job when the company folded...due to a union strike (he was NOT a part of the union). Unions are completely self-serving in this day and age when we are free to move from job to job if we don't like the way we're being treated. It's not fair to the other employees to force a company into bankruptcy just b/c a few people are pissy. Then EVERYONE is out of a job.

No need for fake apologies. Just quit picking apart literally everything I say when I'm agreeing with you! If I'm disagreeing, go ahead and pick all you want. But don't start a fight where there isn't one to be had.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Please explain.
Do you really believe that workers are "free to leave" a job because it is dangerous or unhealthy.
This is such an abstract and litterally absurd vision.
I am sorry to say, but the conditions under which people have to work and survive to make a living is not something you can apprehend over a tea room discussion.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Do you really believe that workers are "free to leave" a job because it is dangerous or unhealthy.
This is such an abstract and litterally absurd vision.
I am sorry to say, but the conditions under which people have to work and survive to make a living is not something you can apprehend over a tea room discussion.
You're saying I do not have the right to go look for another job if I stop liking mine? It happens on a daily basis in this country. I don't even know how to respond to this crap. Unless you are bound by contract, and in most cases, you're not, you can leave at any time. Don't like it? Leave and find somewhere that will treat you better. If you can't find something, keep looking. If you still can't find anything, reevaluate the situation and see if you can wait it out. If you can't, get the courts involved. It doesn't seem that hard to me and it definitely does not sound like anything a commie would say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies