Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What?

I don't really understand the point of this post. Maybe I would if I were involved in whatever threads you're noting. In relation to my post, and if I'm following along, I guess it's a case in point. The first apartment I had by myself, at 17, wasn't too difficult to run since all I had was a bed, a chair, a night stand, and a protection candle that I would light when I started getting the willies over the boogeyman.
Jeez, I quoted you, I should think you could figure that out. Here it is again:

Quote:
Frankly, for some, middle-class perks like college fresh out of HS and living with the folks, under any circumstance, might remove life experiences while young that garner skill sets for success.
So you think kids should be out on their own at 18, while trying to go to college in a strange town?

Old 01-01-2011, 02:27 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Jeez, I quoted you, I should think you could figure that out. Here it is again:
You mentioned other threads and I wasn't following along with the difficulties of running an apartment/household.

Quote:
So you think kids should be out on their own at 18, while trying to go to college in a strange town?
I don't have an opinion on what kids should be doing. What I'm saying, tho, is that this type of American privilege could account for the expectations, feelings of entitlements, and pity parties by some.

eta: that, and yea, life experiences that some of us get out of the gate that can be a real boon. The school of hard knocks and all can kick a kid in the pants in a good way. Clearly, not always.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 01-01-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 02:39 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
If you are using Oprah and others like her as a measuring stick for success, you will likely always be dissatisfied.

Do you not have your own formula for success? Why judge your own success on what others do or have? Are you not more successful now than you were when in your 20s living with your parents?

What is a lucky break?

It's more likely that Oprah recognized opportunities, took advantage of them and took risks.

I agree that not everyone will succeed like Oprah, simply because not everyone is Oprah. Are you advocating that everyone should? If so, why and how?

What exactly are you advocating and how do you think it can be accomplished?
I wan't the one on this thread, that mentioned Oprah first. Another poster, was the one that brought up Oprah. I don't use Oprah as a 'measuring stick' for success. And I define a 'lucky break', as either something going as well as you planned on, and/or an unexpected
stroke of good fortune in your favor.

My idea for success, is having enough to cover my expenses, save a nest egg, live where I want to live, and do what I wanbt to do with my life. I don't have to be, or have planned to be, a celebrity who's filthy rich. So I hope that clears things up for you.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I got my education from the school of hard knocks,quit whining and keep working for your success . you dont need middle class perks just a drive to succeed all you need is the want and determination
I'm not 'whining', just telling the truth about my life. I didn't grow up dirt poor, but my family was extremely abusive, both physically and emotionally to me, when I was a child. So I was in no way 'privileged', as some posters on this thread assume. No child should have to grow up abused. And if they do, like I did, it's a bad state of affairs.

And I wasn't even looking for pity, just a realization from some of these posters on this thread, that my life has never been easy. Especially in recent years. Lots of other people have had misfortune too, especially because of this awful economy. As I've said before, most unemployed people, me included, HAVE been victimized by this economy. Which is a circumstance beyond our control.

And yes, I will continue to work towards getting what I need and want out of life. But I won't blame myself for any set-backs. And none of you posters on this thread, have any business blaming me, or anyone else in my shoes, either. You need more compassion, and less of a judgemental attitude, towards me, and others who fall on hard times. Because you, and some of the other posters on this thread, could be next.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
And yes, I will continue to work towards getting what I need and want out of life. But I won't blame myself for any set-backs. And none of you posters on this thread, have any business blaming me, or anyone else in my shoes, either. You need more compassion, and less of a judgemental attitude, towards me, and others who fall on hard times. Because you, and some of the other posters on this thread, could be next.
You're wrong if you think hitting hard times will bring comradery for all with the victim claims. If find it distasteful, always will, regardless of money, job, etc.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Hate is a strong word... tossed about with such flippancy these days that it begins to loose it meaning.

Much the same as proclaiming racism where none exists, it has become like accusing someone of rape, no matter if the accused is innocent the stigma of the accusation alone lasts virtually forever.
And the onus is thrust upon the accused to defend oneself against such accusations rather than the accuser to prove them.

I don't HATE anyone due to their socio economic situation, nor do I think most people.
People are often born or thrust in situations beyond their control, but it is how they comport themselves in these situations that make others form opinions of them in a positive or negative light.

If you stumble and fall I will gladly extend a hand to help you up.
But do not ask me to carry you upon my shoulders because you refuse to walk.

I hold no respect for those with the professional victim mentality.
Just keep in mind, that not all of those who are poor, 'refuse to 'walk'. I also hope that you won't fall into the habit, of unnecessary personal attacks, insults, and making absurd assumptions, like some people on this thread have.

And if some people on this thread think that discussing misfortune is so 'distastful', then they should go to another thread, because they aren't adding anything intelligent to the conversation. Egocentric ranting by some of the posters on this thread, is getting old, and it's getting off topic anyhow!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:32 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
1) Then you have a lot to learn about business.

2) National Universities Rankings - Best College - Education - US News Find out where Cal Tech is. Caltech Named 2nd Best University In The World « CBS Los Angeles- News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of LA Number 2...globally.

3) Sorry if the best I got is my best friend's dad's friend. I've met the guy several times. I've met his wife and kids. That's pretty close. That's not like saying whatever dribble you spouted. It's like saying the my best friend's dad's friend (so a friend of a friend). I doubt you know Kevin Rollins.

4) Right, because a backup is always possible. Everyone has unlimited resources...correct.
1) One of us has a successful business. One of us sits around on message boards whining about how unfair their life is and how awesomely educated her almost unemployable husband is. Hmmm, I wonder which one of us is really the authority on how much one has yet to learn about business.

2) Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were going to use a field study more authoritative than a magazine survey. US News does a fairly good job with its annual ranking lists, but it's hardly the penultimate resource.

3) What's more likely? A person of your attitude and lack of means just happening to know somebody who knows somebody who knows an IT businessman worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and who is a very staunch Mormon and Republican (anathema to you), or that an IT professional who also owns an IT business got to know him through networking? Occam's Razor. As I said, you have 0 credibility.

4) Yes, yes, yes. It takes unlimited resources to have a backup and it's not fair and I did everything right but the world did me wrong and blah blah blah. Here comes the victim card again. It's tired and played out. You won't just nut up and admit that your poor choices has gotten you where you are. Enjoy being that perpetual victim.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times
Quote:
I wan't the one on this thread, that mentioned Oprah first. Another poster, was the one that brought up Oprah. I don't use Oprah as a 'measuring stick' for success. And I define a 'lucky break', as either something going as well as you planned on, and/or an unexpected
stroke of good fortune in your favor.
Even the filthy rich cannot prevent bad things from happening to them, and money cannot fix everything that happens.

One can plan for unlucky things that happen, but cannot feasibly plan for every possible scenario. That's life.

Quote:
My idea for success, is having enough to cover my expenses, save a nest egg, live where I want to live, and do what I wanbt to do with my life. I don't have to be, or have planned to be, a celebrity who's filthy rich. So I hope that clears things up for you.
It clears up that you are successful in spite of all the bad things that have happened to you. You are not unique.

I don't know that you are giving yourself enough credit. You didn't give up and it would appear that you did it all by yourself.

So when the economy or whatever else goes bad, you don't give up. Why should that be any different. None of us are guaranteed a great economy.

When a person becomes either unwilling or incapable of changing to tackle new obstacles, that is when he fails. Ultimately, you are in control of how you handle life's unexpected obstacles.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:42 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
Some of you posters need to keep in mind that paying for college on your own, isn't easy. Because as I said in an earlier post, I got NO HELP from my folks, to pay for that. And when I lived with them, it was only for a couple of months, and I bought my own food, and paid them rent. So as an adult, my parents gave me NOTHING.
I didn't get any help with college, either, and I'll wager my tuition and fees were a damn sight more than yours were. Yet somehow I made it work - and didn't spend my time complaining about how hard it was. My parents also gave me nothing as an adult - know why? Because I was an adult, and I was ready, willing, and capable of providing for myself.

Again, that whole 'personal responsibility' thing that I'm such a big fan of.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
When a person becomes either unwilling or incapable of changing to tackle new obstacles, that is when he fails. Ultimately, you are in control of how you handle life's unexpected obstacles.
Well stated. There are typically two options for a lot of us. Adapt or fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies