Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
No, I don't consider unemployment an unexpected challenge as employment is not guaranteed.
However, the act of becoming unemployed is often unexpected, or at least, not expected at the time. Many companies keep very quiet about layoffs until the last minute.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I assume you meant DSHS, but they couldn't have been watching her too hard if they allowed this poor little mite to starve to death in a shelter, and his twin's condition was almost as bad. There's just no helping some like this woman who appear to be criminally stupid.
Baby starved in Philadelphia shelter - Philadelphia Gossip

Agreed.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:07 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
However, the act of becoming unemployed is often unexpected, or at least, not expected at the time. Many companies keep very quiet about layoffs until the last minute.
If you know this, then others know it, so feasible that you could be laid off at some point.

But that is not the point. The point is how you handle challenges regardless of whether they are expected or unexpected. I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
If you know this, then others know it, so feasible that you could be laid off at some point.

But that is not the point. The point is how you handle challenges regardless of whether they are expected or unexpected. I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.
I don't understand why not being rude to other posters is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The companies may keep quiet publicly but hall talk rules inside the company.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The companies may keep quiet publicly but hall talk rules inside the company.
Not always. I've seen it happen otherwise.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't understand why not being rude to other posters is such a difficult concept to grasp.
omg, that was not rude. It's a general observation. I don't think it's possible for facts to be rude.

So what is your point anyway? Are you advocating something for these people who were hit whether it was expected or unexpected? Otherwise, this is really pointless debate, no?

Old 01-01-2011, 11:37 PM

After 80 pages, has anyone defined "poor" and has there been a consensus on that definition?

Very few of you are being straightforward about what it is you are advocating and/or debating because there are all of these side debates with pointless bickering.

I have yet to see evidence that America hates the "poor" or even who exactly are these "poor" referenced in the OP.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:53 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In many cases it has nothing to do with training or retraining..it's labor costs. You can get a programmer in China/India/Phillipines/Brazil/etc for 1/3 the cost of a US programmer. And that's what's been happening in IT since the mid 90's.
No, you can get a low level programmer in India and Eastern Europe for 1/3 the cost of a low level US programmer. High-skill programmers are still very much in demand, and those positions are typically not outsourced. Furthermore, most companies that have tried doing that have brought the jobs back, because they ended up with sloppy code and having to deal with a culture that can't think out of the box, but rather has to be told exactly what to do at every step, which stifles innovation.

It's a subtle thing most people aren't grasping. The only jobs that are being farmed out to other countries are jobs which can be easily performed by subpar talent. This spans IT, manufacturing, etc. As long as your skills are righteous, you have a job.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:55 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Just keep in mind, that not all of those who are poor, 'refuse to 'walk'. I also hope that you won't fall into the habit, of unnecessary personal attacks, insults, and making absurd assumptions, like some people on this thread have.

And if some people on this thread think that discussing misfortune is so 'distastful', then they should go to another thread, because they aren't adding anything intelligent to the conversation. Egocentric ranting by some of the posters on this thread, is getting old, and it's getting off topic anyhow!
Hmm, why do I get the distinct feeling that you fully expect me to "fall into the habit, of unnecessary personal attacks, insults, and making absurd assumptions"?

The fact that all poor people are not poor by their own choosing is stating the obvious.
It's assuming that most people think otherwise that is an absurd assumption.

The argument comes when discussing what constitutes those circumstances and what poor people should be expected to do to help get themselves out of poverty.

Or what TAXPAYERS should be FORCED to do for others when they refuse to do for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies