Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wow..are you out of touch.
Complete projects are being done in India/China from design through code/test/support. They are not low level. They've had a good 10 years of being included in the industry to catch up.

Microsoft, Intel, HP, IBM, Yahoo, Google, SAP to name a few all have R&D labs in India. You don't have "low level" programmers at R&D labs.
We have disagreed a lot, Tex, but I agree with you on this, particularly your first sentence.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:05 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
I can't speak for all Americans. I don't hate the poor, but I do dislike the current welfare system which makes long term benefits more appealing, than self sufficiency. In America, we allow people to stay poor. Our entitlement programs should help people to overcome poverty, instead these programs teach people to comfortably live in poverty.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:14 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I know plenty of people that were able to get ahead in the Boston area, despite the high costs of living and not being paid high wages. Many times it took having a part time job in the hospitality industry. Many savvy people who were building up their own businesses saved on health insurance by having a job at a hotel chain that gave them access to cheap health premiums. And whether married or single, there was plenty of share housing situations. If a car was needed, it was never bought new and it was always a Japanese car.

And if you've had this problem with a lack of money since the eighties, then you've also had many decades to learn additional work skill sets.

I recall you being around 48 or 46 years of age. I am 52 and doing just fine as being on my feet all day in the F & B industry. I just worked an 11 hour shift on NYE while walking on concrete floors. And I worked with a man that was 62 years old, and he seem to do just fine without any complaints. He had a great smile on his face all night and was friendly with the customers.

And I agreed with everyone else that is suggested that you find a roommate share. I know many people that have roommate shares with people that they initially weren't friends with. Why are you so suspicious of strangers and thinking the very worst of them? And if you are having money issues, then most likely you haven't burdened yourself with expensive possessions that can be stolen and pawned. If you have family jewelry or valuable documents like birth certificate or passport that you need to secure while at work, then rent a small safe deposit box at a bank and wear the key on a chain around your neck.

I feel that with your sour attitude on life, you lack a real smile on your face during your waking hours. You surround yourself with negative energy which drives away people. Otherwise, where is your supportive network of family and friends? You are a complainer by nature who makes her own bad luck.

I've talked my way into many jobs where I didn't have previous job experience in that field. But I am well spoken and had confidence that I could do well at whatever that job was. I also would research the job and that particular company before going in for the interview. And I would be able to point out in what ways I would be a great asset to their company and why I would be an excellent fit for that job.

And Brauwyn makes a good point, a lot of waitstaff are people with more advanced skillsets who are just treading water there until they can get a job in their field. And working at those restaurants (and being a great co-worker) is an excellent way to network for a rooming situation and future job connections... and possibly for friendship. Also I think that it's a mistake to focus so much on finding a neighborhood to live in with a high percentage of lesbians. Just find yourself friends from all walks of life. As to meeting more lesbians, just volunteer and participate in a few GLBT group activities. Every major city has these groups. Also, every college campus has an GLBT support group. Even if you aren't a student with the college, they aren't going to turn you away. And surely they will have good suggestions for you. Otherwise, another suggestion is finding work on a college campus.

You've got to stop being a whiner, stop griping about your Northampton experience, and start acting more positively. Some compromises will be necessary, like looking for a roommate share. Just take your time and visit a lot of roommate listings. Only YOU can help yourself. Only YOU can turn your life around. You have to be more gracious about what life has thrown you and to be able to quickly turn lemons into delicious lemonade. And being successful in life does take real effort. No one is going to chase after you and hand you opportunities on a silver platter.
What on earth are you talking about??? This is a thread about Americans hating the poor! It's not about lesbians, roommates, ect. etc. If you can be on your feet all day, then bully for you. It's NOT for everybody. I don't care about your life, and don't want to hear about it. Neither do most of the other posters, because it's about Americans hating the poor, not how to live your life according to miu.

You're just another poster, coming on this thread, trying to make it about ME, rather than sticking to the topic. Or do you even know what the topic is?? I've put up with your personal attacks on other threads before, so it's just the same old song with you. You can't grasp that what may have worked for you in life, may not be for everybody. Well, I'm not your clone, and I live my life according to MY values, desires, and abilities. NOT yours!

Last edited by artwomyn; 01-02-2011 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-02-2011, 09:22 AM

Default Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
OK, so your parents didn't help you, but by getting scholarships, you got help from someone.

Please read your last sentence. What many of us call honest debate, you have called personal attacks and insults.
When people call people names, get very rude and insulting, I call that personal attacks. So do the moderators. What some of you posters need to do, IS QUIT BASHING ME, and get back on topic. Otherwise, the moderators will shut down the thread!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if it sounds like whining to the listener or reader, then it's whining...

And if you couldn't afford retraining classes, then there is such a thing as talking with your employer (as long as they are happy with you as their employee) and having them help foot the bill for making you a more skilled employee. Or approaching the school for financial aid or help with a student loan. Schools need students, so of course they are willing to do as much as possible to increase the number of students by helping with financial guidance. Schools are about making money, they are a business.

And you've mentioned in earlier threads about minorities having poor credit, but that's all on you. I know plenty of minority people with stellar credit ratings. Start taking responsibility for how your life has gone and stop blaming everyone else.
Quit quibbling about MY life, and dredgeing-up stuff from other threads. I DO take responsibility for my life, and I don't give an eff if you disagree. If you can't stay on topic on THIS thread, then you need to go elsewhere!

Last edited by artwomyn; 01-02-2011 at 09:57 AM..

Old 01-02-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
FINALLY something we can agree on!!!!

You are correct. Not everyone one will succeed in life, no matter what they do. Because if you think you might succeed, you may or may not, depending on circumstances and decisions you make.

But......if you are SURE you won't succeed, because you have terrible luck, or everyone is out to get you, then YOU WILL NOT SUCCEED.

As for Oprah being helped by her father, weren't you helped by BOTH your parents?
Not as an adult. And my parents made my childhood a livng nightmare. That being said, don't you think that it's about time, that some of you posters got back on the topic of this thread, rather than continually carping about me personally?!? It's getting ridiculous!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:14 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,372 times
It's a challenge for folks to get back on topic when they can scapegoat someone. Some conservatives just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having a scapegoat and being able to bash and try to demonstrate their "superiority" at the same time..........they can't resist.

IMO, lots of Americans hate the "poor" because they are resentful of how hard they had to work (and also tend to "remember" that they worked much harder than they did and that they accomplished superhero feats, which they didn't) AND they are so terrified that circumstances will put them in a position of being "needy" too some day that they deny, deny, deny that it could happen to anyone so they like to focus on the very few who abuse the welfare system, and the people who have alcohol and drug addictions. It's just a way for the masses who are just a heartbeat away from enormously hard economic times to continue to deny to themselves that it could happen to them.

This is a different time from when their parents and grandparents grew up. Very different. As someone posted, this is a time of major TRANSITION in this country.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
OK, if you want to play "I had it tougher growing up" I'll bite.

When I was 13 my parents informed me that if I wanted anything other than school clothes, I would have to earn it myself. Until I was 16, I had a morning paper route. Got up at 5am, in upstate New York, in all weather, delivered papers, then went to school. I also babysat a LOT. At 16 they informed me that if I wanted anything other than food, I would have to earn it myself. Went to work for a grocery store. I wanted to go to college, and they informed me that since they couldn't afford 3 tuitions, they would pay for none. My parents weren't being cruel, they just didn't have the money. I was shocked when I applied for financial aide in college to find that my father was supporting 5 people on $15,000 a year. I never stayed in a motel until well into college. I never flew on a plane. The first time I ate in a restaurant was in high school, when I saved the money myself.

For college, I got loans (no scholarships) and worked a full time job, and a few odd jobs. That proved too difficult, so I dropped out of college and found a less expensive trade school. Through the years I slowly learned my craft, perfected it, and never blamed anyone else for my woes. My parents did the best they could. Nobody else owed me a thing. Saved money for a down payment (the old fashioned way, with 10% down). Sold it and bought another. Then another. Drove clunkers until I could afford a newer car. Then drove those until they died.

Here's another cliche for you: my glass is always half full. When things happen to me, instead of saying "why me", I say "at least something worse didn't happen." On New Years Eve someone smashed into my truck while it was parked outside my house. My first thought was "at least they didn't hit the other car, which is newer." Am I saying this because I think I'm better than anyone else? Of course not, just different. But it does point to why I might have more opportunity and a better life than some.
You're coming off as being superior to others, who have had misfortunes. You think that everything good that has happened in your life, has been solely because of your own efforts, and that having some good fortune on your side, had nothing to do with it. That way, you feel justified in judging others.

Besides, this thread isn't about you, it's about America's hatred of the poor. So you might wanna step out of the limelight for a minute, and get back on the topic of this thread.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:24 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
All right. For the record, I don't hate the poor. But I am tired of those that produce children since their teens and out of wedlock, then need to go on welfare, have food stamps and Section 8 housing in order to function. Those are the people dragging down our country. However, I do personally know many hard working people that were formerly "poor" and now have a comfortable middle class lifestyle with ALL of their children and grandchildren getting a college education. And I would call that success, even though they aren't billionaires.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:45 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,372 times
Quote:
All right. For the record, I don't hate the poor. But I am tired of those that produce children since their teens and out of wedlock, then need to go on welfare, have food stamps and Section 8 housing in order to function. Those are the people dragging down our country. However, I do personally know many hard working people that were formerly "poor" and now have a comfortable middle class lifestyle with ALL of their children and grandchildren getting a college education. And I would call that success, even though they aren't billionaires.
Who knew that Wall Streeters, CEOs of big corporations, Bankers and influential politicians had been producing children out of wedlock since their teens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies