Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:47 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
And that's precisely why I proposed sending Coast Guardsmen down there. They'd actually be of some use, unlike every other branch. I don't know how most puddle pirates would cope with having to run all over deserts all day, but I'm sure they could get used to it.
Simple solution, give the US Border Patrol military status, merge it with the US Coast Guard and rename it to the US Border Guard Service.

Require all existing US Border Patrol agents to under go basic military training, be familiar with the basic light infantry tactics and small arms such as the M16 rifle/M4 carbine, M249 SAW, M240 light machine gun, M203 grenade launcher, AT4 antitank rocket launcher, Stinger SAM, etc. Specialized units of the Border Guard Service will have light artillery, mortars, armored vehicles, armed patrol vessels (the former US Coast Guard would form the maritime component), and armed aircraft/helicopters.

Problem solved, we now have a military force that is not a military force and a way around the archaic Posse Commitaus Act. It's sort of what China did when they created the People's Armed Police as an alternative to using the People's Liberation Army following the mass outrage after they used tanks to run over the protesters in Tinnaniman Square. Practically every nation on Earth has an equivalent - French Gendarmerie, Italian Carabinieri, Spanish Guardia Civil, Russian Internal Troops, Dutch Royal Marechausee, Portuguese Guardia Nacional Republicana, the police in most 3rd world nations, etc all have significant military capabilities even though they are technically considered police forces.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...90_mg_7761.jpg
VBC-90 light tank of the French Gendarmerie Nationale which has about 30 of these.

Last edited by WIHS2006; 11-20-2010 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 03:06 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Wiki is easy enough...
Face it folks... it's for your own protection. A protection having nothing to do with Mexico.
"from exercising nominally state law enforcement, police, or peace officer powers that maintain "law and order" on non-federal property (states and their counties and municipal divisions) within the United States.

The statute generally prohibits federal military personnel and units of the National Guard under federal authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within the United States, except where expressly authorized by the Constitution or Congress. The Coast Guard is exempt from the Act ".

From how I read your posting using the military on the border is NOT using the militarty to, "exercising nominally state law enforcement, police, or peace officer powers that maintain "law and order" on non-federal property."

The federal gov't is suing Arizona for using state law enforcement at the border. They say the border is a federal resposibility not state.

The military would be enforcing federal law on the border which is federal property, not state. It seems to me you, not you personally, can't have it both ways.

Your post also says, "except where expressly authorized by the Constitution or Congress'". So Congress CAN authorize military use within the US.

What about, "provide for the common defence". If we are being invaded by illegals isn't that "being invaded'? And isn't that a responsibility of the military to "defend" our border?

Old 11-20-2010, 03:10 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Simple solution, give the US Border Patrol military status, merge it with the US Coast Guard and rename it to the US Border Guard Service.

Require all existing US Border Patrol agents to under go basic military training, be familiar with the basic light infantry tactics and small arms such as the M16 rifle/M4 carbine, M249 SAW, M240 light machine gun, M203 grenade launcher, AT4 antitank rocket launcher, Stinger SAM, etc. Specialized units of the Border Guard Service will have light artillery, mortars, armored vehicles, armed patrol vessels (the former US Coast Guard would form the maritime component), and armed aircraft/helicopters.

Problem solved, we now have a military force that is not a military force and a way around the archaic Posse Commitaus Act. It's sort of what China did when they created the People's Armed Police as an alternative to using the People's Liberation Army following the mass outrage after they used tanks to run over the protesters in Tinnaniman Square. Practically every nation on Earth has an equivalent - French Gendarmerie, Italian Carabinieri, Spanish Guardia Civil, Russian Internal Troops, Dutch Royal Marechausee, Portuguese Guardia Nacional Republicana, the police in most 3rd world nations, etc all have significant military capabilities even though they are technically considered police forces.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...90_mg_7761.jpg
VBC-90 light tank of the French Gendarmerie Nationale which has about 30 of these.
Excellent idea and should be presented to Congress.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:20 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
Guess he figures defending our borders is no longer a high priority, we have enhanced pat downs from the TSA now.
We all know that he reluctantly put agents on the borders in order to save himself and help the Democrats during mid-terms. Now that the mid-terms are over and the Democrats took a beating he can remove the agents and go back to not caring about protecting our borders while Americans continue to be treated like criminals by TSA agents.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:56 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Wiki is easy enough...The Posse Comitatus Act is a United States federal law (18 U.S.C. § 1385) passed on June 18, 1878, after the end of Reconstruction, with the intention (in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807) of substantially limiting the powers of the federal government to use the military for law enforcement. The Act prohibits most members of the federal uniformed services (today the Army, Navy, Air Force, and State National Guard forces when such are called into federal service) from exercising nominally state law enforcement, police, or peace officer powers that maintain "law and order" on non-federal property (states and their counties and municipal divisions) within the United States.

The statute generally prohibits federal military personnel and units of the National Guard under federal authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within the United States, except where expressly authorized by the Constitution or Congress. The Coast Guard is exempt from the Act.
Face it folks... it's for your own protection. A protection having nothing to do with Mexico.
When gun-toting humans from a foreign country (and Mexico is a foreign country) invade our borders and attack our people I would think that could be considered an "act of ingression" at least and "act of war" at most and NOT a police action!

This human filth cuts off heads, kidnaps, murders, flood drugs into our country and so much more. All of it a threat to our nation and our citizens.

IMHO...kill every one of them! We sure aren't going to "rehabilitate" them! How many terrorists are crossing our border undetected? We have the capability to take care of this...do we have the guts to do it?

Old 11-20-2010, 04:41 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
What about, "provide for the common defence". If we are being invaded by illegals isn't that "being invaded'? And isn't that a responsibility of the military to "defend" our border?
The Posse Comitatus bit was copied directly from the Wiki.

As far as Arizona, the federal government does control a portion of that border. Much of the border in Texas is owned by ranchers and others. I'm sure the federal government would be glad to see them surrender that property... for its own protection. Yeah, right.

I would imagine that when 'gun toting humans from a foreign country invade our borders' that Congress should be responsible enough to take action. You know, the people we hired to administrate the country.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:03 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I wonder, is there any credible source for the complete story on this?
I'm not sure what you consider credible, but try here:

REP. POE URGES AGAINST DECREASED BORDER SECURITY PLANS ADMINISTRATION CONSIDERING NATIONAL GUARD DRAW DOWN ALONG

Last edited by Wapasha; 11-20-2010 at 05:13 PM..

Old 11-20-2010, 05:07 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcs996 View Post
Shooting them? Honestly? Good God.

We're all born from immigrants. We don't need to close the borders or kill people, we need to make it easier to legally enter the country before we can crack down on illegal entry.

Am i the only one that thinks it's absurd that we'll let a European in no problem but Mexicans get turned down all the time? I'm from Texas, and I actually know a couple illegals. They aren't bad people, or lazy, or unsupportive of America. They just wanted to leave Mexico, because it sucks compared to the US.

Not to mention, something like 76% (I'm recalling this from memory, so give or a take a bit) of farm jobs are worked by illegal immigrants. That sounds bad, but really, what American is going to work SEASONAL labor for minimum wage? You kidding me? Most illegals don't take jobs that we would work otherwise, in fact, in an article i read a couple months ago, a farmer was talking about he just flat couldn't find American labor for his farm. At all.

Right now, we're Rome, and we're too good for that kind of work. We'll complain about the barbarians cleaning our houses and farming our food, but we won't do it ourselves.

Besides all that, I think illegal immigrants represent something like just under 4% of the labor force in America. That's not much, if you didn't know.
The myth that most agriculture workers are illegal aliens has been debunked repeatedly. Even if true, it still wouldn’t justify our porous borders. However, you have it backwards. An estimated 76% of workers in the agriculture industry are citizens and legal residents. In fact only 2-4% of illegal aliens are picking crops, which means a whopping 96-98% are working jobs Americans WILL do if paid a decent wage.

Quote:
The Pew Hispanic Center estimates that undocumented workers represent about 5% of the U.S. non-military work force, and a high portion of laborers in certain fields, including 29% of roofers, 24% of agricultural workers and 25% of construction laborers.
Pros & Cons of Immigration Reform Plans, Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act

Quote:
Illegal immigrants can be found working in many sectors of the U.S. economy. About 3 percent work in agriculture; 33 percent have jobs in service industries; and substantial numbers can be found in construction and related occupations (16 percent) and in production, installation and repair (17 percent).
Study Details Lives of Illegal Immigrants in U.S. : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies