Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,291,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
No, it is NOT an entirely different issue! If we could close the loopholes, and simplify the tax code then we could start to tackle the real problem.
Well, we both agree it's a problem. I'm all for a straightforward taxcode... even though I would end up paying more taxes for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 AM

7,083 posts, read 12,099,613 times
Wow. No one who would ever take advantage of these programs has ever paid taxes...and those who never would take advantage of these programs are the only one's who paid taxes. Where do people come up with this crap?

Do you have taxes taken out of your paycheck? Would you need assistance from SS/Medicare/Unemployment when you get old (or suddenly sick with something like MS)? If you answer yes to both, you are the example where this doesn't work...along with millions of Americans.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,720,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Well, we both agree it's a problem. I'm all for a straightforward taxcode... even though I would end up paying more taxes for sure.
of course the biggest problem is how our Gov't spends tax money

Old 11-20-2010, 10:05 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,291,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Do you have taxes taken out of your paycheck? Would you need assistance from SS/Medicare/Unemployment when you get old (or suddenly sick with something like MS)? If you answer yes to both, you are the example where this doesn't work...along with millions of Americans.
I think the issue has to do with how much is taken out vs how much one would benefit. Also, only the folks that work W2 jobs pay into SS/Medicare/UI at a fair rate. The rest of us hardly pay into it, and are still eligible.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:10 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,947,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
So, we as a society of individuals, should continue on the regimen of giving 15% of our money to "put back" (cue laughter!) for our retirement (Social Security) and 10% for our old-age health care (Medicare). That's a total 25% of your (potential) income before you even start paying federal income tax or state income tax and sales taxes. And, after the government blows it all on pure crap, allow the government to go unpunished and feed it more of the cash-drug that it so craves, by running all the "rich" out of the country and out of their earned money?

Sounds like we have become a rabble that will never understand justice or jobs.

(The percentages above include the pay your employer could be paying you instead of the share of the payroll tax going to the government.)
It is what is going to happen if everyone keeps screaming, "Lower taxes for the rich, cut entitlement spending, and get rid of the deficit!"

Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 AM

15,087 posts, read 13,508,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The very people that want government all involved in taking care of the people are not the people paying for it.

More people have government taking care of them then not. At the turn of the last century it was only around 5%. Now over 50%, get some benefit from our government.

So now you have to pay for all these lovely plans and entitlements.
The very people working hard and paying taxes, get way less to no benefit from it, besides what the original Constitution allowed the government to control.

Has the government created an illusion that there are more impoverished, ruling the wealthy? Are they pushing for more class separation?
Can you see where that can lead?
Those people who get "some benefit" are oftentimes going to be people who will receive Social Security or Medicare - and they paid taxes on that their whole lives. I assume it goes without saying that you personally will forego any benefits from those two programs on principle.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 AM

78,860 posts, read 46,885,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

No, I have no deductions of money owed before it hits my bank. I have to keep track and a paper trail, to calculate my business deductions.

No, I will not need assistance. I'm not good with being a burden to anyone. Makes me feel terrible.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:56 AM

78,860 posts, read 46,885,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Those people who get "some benefit" are oftentimes going to be people who will receive Social Security or Medicare - and they paid taxes on that their whole lives. I assume it goes without saying that you personally will forego any benefits from those two programs on principle.
Some make too much on retirement pensions, to qualify for SS and Medicare.

If your living on Millions in a bank collecting little interest, you show no income and get full SS and Medicare, even though you have more cash than Bill Gates.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:39 PM

59,546 posts, read 27,778,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The very people that want government all involved in taking care of the people are not the people paying for it.

More people have government taking care of them then not. At the turn of the last century it was only around 5%. Now over 50%, get some benefit from our government.

So now you have to pay for all these lovely plans and entitlements.
The very people working hard and paying taxes, get way less to no benefit from it, besides what the original Constitution allowed the government to control.

Has the government created an illusion that there are more impoverished, ruling the wealthy? Are they pushing for more class separation?
Can you see where that can lead?
If you rob Peter to pay Paul and David, Paul and David will vote for you everytime.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:33 AM

272 posts, read 296,752 times
Wouldn't have to rob Peter if Paul and David had a job or were paid a decent salary to afford living in America. As the middle class climb down the ladder the rich climb up. When those at the bottom can no longer afford to buy or use what those on the top produce we have what is going on now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies