Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gay couples having children
Yes - it is all about the love a child is given, not the sex of the parents 201 72.04%
No - we are meant to have a male and a female bring us up 78 27.96%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:44 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,308,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I think gay couples deserve to enjoy all the misery, and stinky poopies, and dirty diapers as the straight couples enjoy. Love is universal

Jonathan
Bingo! I believe in equal rights for all law-abiding citizens! What a damaging idea! Our country and society are going right into the diaper genie!

It's funny, macgeek, that 2 of the 3 things you listed about parenthood were gross diapers. That's one of the things that comes to mind first for me too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 04:58 AM

656 posts, read 2,745,417 times
I'm not going to lie, I was once against it. Like a lot of people I always thought a child needs a mother and a father

But as I'm older I seem to have come around to the idea

Put it this way. If I had a daughter and she grew up to be a wonderful, caring, well adjusted human being. Who just happened to be gay. Who was in a long term relationship with someone with the same qualities. There is no way in the world I could ever have the heart to tell her she shouldn't have kids. Knowing full well they would be better parents than most.

Having said all that. Would I agree that Gay parents should be Equally placed in a queue for adoption with other couples??? My head says they should have equal billing, but my heart says No. I guess that means I haven't fully come around to the idea as yet

Old 11-23-2010, 05:11 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,225,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post

Having said all that. Would I agree that Gay parents should be Equally placed in a queue for adoption with other couples??? My head says they should have equal billing, but my heart says No. I guess that means I haven't fully come around to the idea as yet
What does that mean? Equally placed. There are thousands of children in foster care. Do you mean equally placed for specific types of children?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:21 AM

63 posts, read 119,344 times
Gays appreciate the opportunity to have children and don't take them for granted

Old 11-23-2010, 05:35 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,763,786 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsqqL3X-Ijo

I agree with Dan Savage.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:56 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,225,943 times
I love that one sentence of his "why are these children in foster care to begin with? because their gay parents abandoned them? Nooo, because their straight parents abandoned them".

Old 11-23-2010, 06:56 AM

656 posts, read 2,745,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What does that mean? Equally placed. There are thousands of children in foster care. Do you mean equally placed for specific types of children?
I could have worded the whole thing a lot better

I was trying to say when it comes to adopting babies, there is of course a long long waiting list for adoption. Would I place a Gay couple fairly with the others on the waiting list (equal). All would I give preference to Heterosexual couples over Gay couples on that long waiting list. Sadly, I would hate to say it I would still always give heterosexual couples preference.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:59 AM

29,770 posts, read 34,491,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Love Dan Savage. I like his point that gay couples don't have children by accident--they have to really want children to go through all that paperwork.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:30 AM

8,995 posts, read 20,419,450 times
Am I against it or for it? In all honesty, I don't know!
How do children handle it if they see their gay parents showing affection around them. A hug, a kiss, snuggle up on the couch......the type of affection that a man/woman parents could/would do around their children. In a man/woman parental situation, kids come into the bedroom and wake their parents up on Christmas morning. Do kids of gay parents do this? If kids are babies, they don't have a say on who they live with. What do older (pre-teen to teen) kids think of their gay parents sleeping together? How do the kids classmates treat them when they find out that the parents are gay? Just how does a kid introduce their gay parents to a friend?
Question would be......do gay parents have to act differently around their kids than man/woman parents?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:44 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,336,342 times
I have mixed feelings about it. At the end of the day what really matters is the child is care for, loved and nutured by their parents whether they are gay or straight.

On one hand I am against a child being subjected to the hatred and challenges that may come from a gay marriage. I couldn't imagine as the child got older that he/she wouldn't be teased by his fellow peers. Just look at what happened with the recent tragedies of teens coming out that they were gay. Even though they themselves may not be gay, they could be harrassed because their parents are.

On the other hand, who is to say a straight marriage is the best environment to raise a child either. We've all heard stories of abuse sexual, emotional and physical abuse towards kids.

I guess what I am saying is that I want every child to have a chance at a life that is free of pain, ridicule, abuse, etc. but that would be asking for the impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies