Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 06:47 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times

Advertisements

We are sliding into third world country status and now you do see older citizens working into their 70s. So how long until the legal working age is reduced to 10 or 12 years of age? Not full time obviously, but part time and during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 07:00 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,464,208 times
It will never happen.
Children are too sheltered now and many don't work their first job until well into adulthood in their mid 20's.
At that point, many are stuck living with mommy and daddy in a state of debt perpetuity, trying to pay off school loans.
Mommy and daddy will of course need to work into their 70's to keep supporting jr.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:12 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
We are sliding into third world country status and now you do see older citizens working into their 70s. So how long until the legal working age is reduced to 10 or 12 years of age? Not full time obviously, but part time and during the summer.
Yes, it will happen.

Americans are being de-humanized (wire-tapping, pat downs even if you're not a criminal, body scans, the dead of war being referred to as collateral damage).

A thread here showed that 4 out of 5 Americans are sniveling cowards who will do ANYTHING the government dictates.

Survival WILL mean sending children to work.

AND since a 12 year old has more stamina than many 68 year olds...why not????

That would pump up Social Security...start 'em younger...don't make them work longer.

It was UNIONS who helped to protect children from job/work abuse and with their decline there won't be anyone else who cares or can do anything about it....

Old 11-25-2010, 07:59 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Working to the 70's or never retriring was common when I was a kid in the 50's.B ut if they had than had the social wlefare netwrok then or the standard of living now expect they would have been able to.I really don't think that child laobr will be common as many adults have nothing to sell themselves in skills needed now days really ;much less children. But I do hope thaqt one day we can again see kids have such things as paper routes and other partime jobs to learn on like when I was a kid. Statred working partime with a paper route when I was 10 and always had my own money and learned alot from it and the other jobs I always had until fully employed after college. Some thing are not taught easily except for getting out in the real world.Guess this is why now days they tech life sikills on governamnt employemnt trining.tht is mostly about how you have to showup for work on time;not call in sick when your not and now you don';t advance by just showinf up for work only and that you need to learn to get along on the job.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:02 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,142,888 times
texdav, are you typing "Pig Latin?"

Old 11-25-2010, 08:15 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
If the republicans had their way, we'd be back the days of working 12-14 hours a day, no benefits what so ever, child labor didn't exist, you were paid pennies or forced to buy everything from an overpriced store the company owned,..

Old 11-25-2010, 08:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
So how long until the legal working age is reduced to 10 or 12 years of age? Not full time obviously, but part time and during the summer.
Something wrong with this? Used to be a tomato farm near where I lived when I was young. I think the minimum they would accept was 12 with the parents permission, of course they couldn't do this today. Many bikes and other things were purchased with the money kids made picking tomatoes. Obviously if you're going to have kids of a very young age working you need to keep them away from dangerous jobs but there is nothing wrong with allowing them to work a few hours each day.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Something wrong with this? Used to be a tomato farm near where I lived when I was young. I think the minimum they would accept was 12 with the parents permission, of course they couldn't do this today. Many bikes and other things were purchased with the money kids made picking tomatoes. Obviously if you're going to have kids of a very young age working you need to keep them away from dangerous jobs but there is nothing wrong with allowing them to work a few hours each day.
I agree. I used to deliver news papers at 11-12 years of age. At 14 I got my workers permit and SS number and worked a few ours a week during the summer months. It teaches one how to work not just doing work. Coal mining? forget about it.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:55 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Yes, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 should be abolished so that young children can be sent to work in factories. For lower income (and single parent) families these children could be earning extra money to help the household. Orphans can work full time in factories. As an incentive that factories should hire children the minimum wage law should be scrapped. Children could be paid less than $3 per hour.
These ideas would certainly save the US taxpayer a bundle of money by not having to support these lazy underage bums.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Yes, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 should be abolished so that young children can be sent to work in factories. For lower income (and single parent) families these children could be earning extra money to help the household. Orphans can work full time in factories. As an incentive that factories should hire children the minimum wage law should be scrapped. Children could be paid less than $3 per hour.
These ideas would certainly save the US taxpayer a bundle of money by not having to support these lazy underage bums.
It may also help bring those millions of manufacturing jobs back to the US!

Last edited by jmking; 11-25-2010 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies