Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

No, that's not "their problem". It is our problem as well.

They need help and support in acclimating back into "normal" society. I don't think they'll ever be the same as they left, but it takes time to learn to relax, rest, settle...not jump at unexpected noises, not be on guard every wakeful moment, not sleep with one eye open.

Police, fire, emergency, ER doctors, others have stressful jobs but they can leave them behind, for the most part, at the end of the day and have a normal evening at home. For the serviceman, nothing is normal again for a long time.
You are underestimating or don't know the stress on the civilian personel in dangerous positions which are many. Some even commit suicides over it. How can you leave the memory of a person dismembered/dying, you friend, behind? No matter the occupation. The military are not special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Yes, the government is always looking for ways to limit our freedoms (and thereby have more control over us), but there are other leaders in other countries who would love to not only limit your freedom, but remove it entirely. They wouldn't hesitate for a moment to remove your head. At least you have the right to resist your own government's efforts, to protest, and loudly. Many places you don't have that right. Appreciate that there are people in uniform who are protecting and preserving your right to speak up.
Bearded dudes with rucksacks protecting their homes from the invading US soldiery in Xnistan are not even on the bottom of my list to watch for in the US as far as my freedom is concerned.

Rockets, drones with napalm, unregulated soldiery bashing in doors of civilians like it was Vietnam all over, 11+(!) strike groups which are offensive in nature, and bases all over the world and the new "missile defence" have no relation to what is going on in the US other than being detrimental to my liberty, and my pocket book. I just don't see them invading my house any time soon, it's WE who invade their houses!

Anyway, we don't have the economic muscle for much longer to patrol the world for your view of "protecting freedom" by spreading our military thin all over the world. Them the apples.

And we can't even defend our own south border! Talk incompetence!

Last edited by wellyouknow; 11-27-2010 at 11:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 03:42 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
How many of you actually say this to service members and why?

I for one think it is highly offensive and this is nothing more than empty platitudes.
Unlike "No thank you for your disservice." which is unoffensive and nothing more than effervescent praise.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:44 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Wow. That's a lot of nonsense. Please, which country are even capable limiting and/or removing your freedom? What about all that time when USA openly and covertly limited and destroyed the freedom of other nations? Huh? Never mind, you're never taught that part of history. Your stance is a typical for a brainwashed American.
Naive to think that history cannot repeat itself in many places around the globe, including this country, under new offensives in new ways. ps. I'm not really "a brainwashed American" and don't appreciate you labeling me as such. Would you like it if it was turned around to say your stance is typical of a brainwashed liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
You are underestimating or don't know the stress on the civilian personel in dangerous positions which are many. Some even commit suicides over it. How can you leave the memory of a person dismembered/dying, you friend, behind? No matter the occupation. The military are not special.

I do know, having worked with many in police and fire departments, and having been in the emergency medical field. Memories of dismembered, dying friends and family members are forever with people in various walks of life, not just those who are in a dangerous line of work. We see see and hear it in the news all the time. But for the military, they may actually see it for themselves daily. Read up on it and you'll understand how their stresses are different. We shouldn't marginalize any occupation that way, but one does need to be better informed to make those kinds of judments in order to avoid that blunder.

And we can't even defend our own south border! Talk incompetence!
Talk to your esteemed Congressmen and Obama about that. It's not that they can't -- it's that they won't. HUGE difference.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:12 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Thank you for your service Chilegirl.

I had no idea there were good people in the military.
Of course there are good people in the military.

She just wasn't one of them.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I agree with the latter. When I was a liberal, I would say exactly the same thing, that I don't like the war going on but I would support the troops because they were putting their lives on the line to save our freedom.

I don't believe thanking someone for their service is meaningless or just a polite thing to do. I usually don't say it b/c it makes me uncomfortable and I'm not sure how they will respond. But I am thankful, even if I don't say it, and I try to go out of my way to smile and be nice to the vets or people in uniform when I see them. I might start paying for their meals and that kind of thing, like others here have said, for some reason I never thought about that. Anyway, I don't think that people who thank our servicemen/women are insincere or using it to prop up the war at all.
Notice that it is usually liberals who have never served in the military who talk bad about it. I'm hopeful that liberalism will be nothing more than an annoying fly buzzing around after 2012.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:22 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Notice that it is usually liberals who have never served in the military who talk bad about it. I'm hopeful that liberalism will be nothing more than an annoying fly buzzing around after 2012.
Notice that it's usually conservatives that never served (or managed to get into the Air National guard if they didn't have "other priorities") that are usually the biggest hawks and want to turn every crisis into a potential war.

And liberalism aint goin' nowhere!

Old 11-28-2010, 09:06 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Notice that it's usually conservatives that never served (or managed to get into the Air National guard if they didn't have "other priorities") that are usually the biggest hawks and want to turn every crisis into a potential war.

Do you know how offensive this is? Anyone willing to put their life on the line for America and its people deserves every token of appreciation we can give them. No military person should EVER have their service downplayed.

And I don't think the soldiers actually *want* to go to combat. I think we can all agree that war is something to be entered into slowly and logically. It's a major decision and I highly doubt that anyone wants to turn every small crisis into World War III.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:16 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Of course there are good people in the military.

She just wasn't one of them.

You may be right.

She could very well be a hippie turncoat, a traitor to all things decent.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:28 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Thank you for your service

Quote:
How many of you actually say this to service members and why?

I for one think it is highly offensive and this is nothing more than empty platitudes.
Sounds like you got something empty, sorry to hear. But thank you for asking.

I was born in a military hospital, never saw a civilian doctor before I was 21. I was a cub scout and a boy scout in military dens and packs. I thank service members every day. I ate military groceries. Turned out to be the same groceries the civilians ate. Mom just had to go further to shop. I was an Eisenhower cadet. And the Army turned me down when I tried to join. And I still thank the military every day.

I thank them when I pass them on the highway. I thank them when I see them on TV. I thank them every day for life in the USa.

Now, 'scuse me while I go dry my daily tear.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:30 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

The majority of military people (and Americans in general) are conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies