Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,641,563 times

Advertisements

Israel has plenty to worry about. I should think that the Tea Party is our worst nightmare, not theirs.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,802,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Sorry that won't work any longer. The Tea Party plays by their own rules and the American public seems to gravitate toward it. No b.s. charges of antisemitism will work this time....not in this era maybe 10 years ago but not now.
1st part I disagree. Americans aren't gravitating to them. Tea is only getting better at giving the appearance of 'we made that happen' trying to lure people into herd mentality as if everything were about popularity contests. Years ago when terrorist events would take place anywhere in the world you'd have 30 organizations claiming they sponsored it because the puffery factor- larger than life- served as free advertisement. Don't take my word for it inquire FBI archives. Now Tea does the same through spin, only with elections. Diversionary tactic is primary, but a few other side benefits like pointing the sheer volume of noise at the voices of reason until it's drowned out. These very same mentalities rebuked Ron Paul and all hail their hero Tom Delay in Texas. If you sow enough darnel among the wheat the wheat will struggle to produce. This has come to define Obama's error believing conservatives could be trusted to negotiate in good faith or refrain from putting poison in the well. They cannot. The sickness wasn't with an individual. It's systemic & it's intentional.

As for the latter- I agree it won't work, and not because this is a new era. Because people have allowed themselves to get lured into the middle east through a sucker punch. Pride ran away & vengeance blinded them but when steam burned off and facts start coming to light, more facts unfold, and more contradictions... the adrenaline gone it's all catching up with them on a very slow bell. The final realization will come when the illusion of John Wayne's white hat is gone. Ego's devastated. They exploited the male instinct to protect his family even if it meant backhanding their wives attempting reason. I find it not at all coincidental that violence against military wives escalated in scope and intensity the past decade. Troops need our help to make sense of things but disinformation streams continue and republican constituency is too needy themselves. The suicide rate of civilian soldiers... why, and where did all those so-called patriots shouting 'support our troops' loudest run off to?

How to end Afghanistan-- there's no right way anyone can see. The likelihood we can fulfill much more than superficial mission objectives is not in any way matching up with it's sticker price. The probability that viable economic investiture- a pipeline constructed enabling Afghanistan to participate in global economy & get away from Opiate GDP- will fall into the hands of a despot is very high. Repub 2012 candidates; more bag of leaves figureheads dodging shoes while the real thing controlling conservatives does it's work from remote. Whomever leads this nation when Republicans are in office isn't anyone we get to look in the eye. When they're out of office they're commanded to start fires, instigate strife, create as many problems possible to undermine the efficacy of sitting democrats. Former VP UNDERMINING war efforts for some silver coin from Murdoch/ Koch???

se·di·tion
   /sɪˈdɪʃən/ Show Spelled[si-dish-uhn] –noun
1. incitement of discontent or rebellion against a government.
2. any action, esp. in speech or writing, promoting such discontent or rebellion.
3. Archaic . rebellious disorder.

—Synonyms
1. insurrection, mutiny, treason.
Sedition | Define Sedition at Dictionary.com

Old 11-29-2010, 02:49 PM

43,758 posts, read 44,531,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Actually whether a country is a democracy or not is of no real concern to the United States and Israel isn't the only democratic country in the region. Noticed Iraq? Hamas was elected democratically. How about Turkey, which has been a democracy for 77 years?

Egypt is facing elections in which the Muslim Brotherhood running as independent candidates are expected to make large gains. If so, then expect tensions to rise in Egypt and tensions with Israel to increase. If Egypt were a purely democratic state, there is a good chance it would be at war with Israel by sundown. It is the US reliance on its oppressive government to maintain order among its people that allows the US to turn a blind eye to the Egyptian governments brutality. As long as the natives are on a leash, then all is well as far as we are concerned.

Even the very case of whether Israel is a true democracy is argued within Israel itself. For starters it has never even ratified its own Constitution to begin with. Then there is a debate over the rights of the Arab minority, since 95% of the land Israel claims as its own is not available to anyone but Israeli Jews. Some have argued that this constitutes an apartheid state, but this too is debated fiercely within Israel itself.

Gershom Gorenberg has written several pieces discussing this subject and can point to how Israel is both a democratic state as well as an ethnocratic state, as after all, in Israel's charter, it is to be a "Jewish only state".

Is Israel a Democracy? | The American Prospect

Turkey is not considered a Middle Eastern country.
Egypt has had the same President Hosni Mubarak since 1981 (when President Sadat was assassinated). So you really can't call this regime a true democracy.
Israel has democratic elections and its Arab citizens vote in them and even have Arab representatives in the Israel's Parliament.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:53 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,209,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Turkey is not considered a Middle Eastern country.
Egypt has had the same President Hosni Mubarak since 1981 (when President Sadat was assassinated). So you really can't call this regime a true democracy.
Israel has democratic elections and its Arab citizens vote in them and even have Arab representatives in the Israel's Parliament.
Well if we want to get technical, Israel isn't considered the Middle East either, as it is considered the Near East. Israel also falls under the US's Eurocom instead of Centcom which covers the Middle East.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:27 PM

43,758 posts, read 44,531,359 times
Quote:
Well if we want to get technical, Israel isn't considered the Middle East either, as it is considered the Near East. Israel also falls under the US's Eurocom instead of Centcom which covers the Middle East.
So are saying that there is no such thing as the Middle East?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:38 PM

Default Face to face with the madness of the world

Quote:
Someone posted this in a thread a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUGVP...ayer_embedded#
TN I'd like to offer a word of caution, and please do not take this as an accusation. It's very easy to allow anger when duplicity is exposed to steer you where you ordinarily would not be predisposed to go. American track record 'against communism' railed them straight into it with heavy handed authoritarian response. All things being equal, America has used it's discernment not to judge all catholics for the actions of ill clergy, and even protestants forgive catholics when they see leadership going astray. The hatred of Jews is not a figment of imagination, and a good deal of it is unwarranted. The real culprits worthy of ire used Jews as a human shield the same way the Papacy used Christians as human shield the same way clerics use Muslims as human shields. Atheists/ humanists are exasperated with religion when they really need to be exasperated with the beasts controlling religions: the Ego wanting worship/ credit for what is God's. The ego wanting control over others when it cannot control itself. In our representational system of communication & education, they hide nefarious poison under cloaks of propriety. It's not just men, it's women too. It's the habit of western civilization that alternative cultures cannot articulate criticism about, but know intuitively an illness is pervasive in our culture.

The arguments ongoing in the Jewish community are evidence to me that they mean to walk their talk and do not defend each other solely on blind allegiance. The Jews in Brooklyn NY are opposed to Zionists for a reason and debates are heated because all parties concerned feel their very religion is under assault. Where have we heard this story before? Bertha better than you Christians are in fistacuffs over who owns the splinters in a church. Who gets to march first in a processional among multi denomination clergy.

I have no clue if you have a religion at all but I do know you possess high capacity for objectivity & analysis. It is people like yourself most needed to investigate and analyze the full body of data impartially in academic level debate & present that bigger picture of reality. Particularly for the sake of those whose emotional attachments to outcomes has clouded their eyes. When you see all these players through the filter of what it is each grieved party is trying to protect, you'll hear them utter near identical answers! Even in previous threads where you have broached the subject of Israel-- could you return to those threads and read again what it is these people are trying to protect? Let go of your frustration that they didn't hear your point. Let go of your accusation that they're repeating the brainwash antisemitism. These things cannot be resolved by climbing down into the hole with them, but by standing above it and painting the big picture for all to see. Drop a ladder down as an alternative to the shovel they use to dig deeper holes.

Whatever blame people would assign Jews, I can assure all who would read this that every major religion has been the root cause animating the relentless strife and insanity plaguing the middle east and spreading across the globe through fundamentalism. Muslims, Jews, and Christians fear WHAT? Clearly not God. They fear the destruction of their religions. They've made whole other religions in defense of institution, not the core meaning of the faith. So much so they'd trample their own children to defend a book. They fear religion B will dominate religion A and C. Each cling to hierarchical supremacy world view overtly or covertly. Each using Madison ave tools to manipulate the masses. Each entitling themselves to resort to Machiavellian tactics. The Muslims come, destroy sacred Jewish temples, and 'own' Jews by building a mosque on the ruins. The Christians come, destroy sacred Muslim mosques, and 'own' Muslims by building a church on the ruins. The Jews come, destroy Palestinians, and 'own' Muslims by building a Temple on the ruins. The crisis of paternal religious tradition is???? Find that answer and you will better understand the global grievances of womankind sickened in hearts & minds by their conduct throughout recorded history right up to this present moment.

I posit there is no natural disaster, and no man made disaster, so menacing or comprehensively destructive than the fear of wrongfully lead religious defending all the wrong things in the name of God. The day the Prophet Mohommed is realized to be a man struggling with middle age crisis tainting his pronouncements. IE, his own EGO getting in the way of God's word. The day each apostle is seen in the exact same light, and each Judaic think tank of Old Testament in the same light. The day Christians believing themselves pure come to doubt every superficial understanding culturally cemented in their minds when evidence is presented contradicting entrenched Biblical interpretations. What happens if Jesus is proven to be a black man? Pray and the heathen lie will disappear, the sum total of our rituals & icons are NOT euro-pagan. Why? Because we 'own' Pagans now? Do Roman Catholics also 'own' Santeria?

What happens the day Jews making it their life's mission to defend the holyland find out it exists somewhere else? The wailing wall constructed by another religion. What happens if Zionists fail to prove their case, Jews migrate back to this other place near Turkey, and Palestinians 'own' what is sacred ground/ core identity to Christians? This needs your consideration, because even Christians will kill Christians vying for supremacy and control of what they believe is holy of holy. The same madness of men killing their wives and children failing to live up to an ideology is not unique to Islamic fanatics. Christians habitually resort to the exact same behavior. Our own statistics cannot be glossed over forever. Defending a tumor, deluded by leadership into believing it's your core self, has a reliable destructive outcome.

Quote:
Have mercy on our uniforms.
Man of peace
or man of war,
the peacock spreads his fan.
~Leonard Cohen

Old 11-29-2010, 03:49 PM

131 posts, read 114,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Your personal attack is completely uncalled for.
You have a distorted perception of reality. Israel is the only democratic country in the region and therefore it has the unconditional American support. Israeli citizens have full rights whereas all the Saudi Arabian women are 2nd class citizens. But I don't hear any outcry to stop foreign aid or relations between the USA & Saudi Arabia.
First of all, I did not attack you, personally. I simply made an observation from your own statements.

I really don't want you to teach children that it's just fine to harm others, if their own friends and relatives are already harming them.

That is a legitimate concern of mine and I still hold to that point and raise it even higher now, because you obviously still refuse to see my point.

We simply don't subject others to further injury, if they're already being injured.

PS.

Why did over 1,300 Lebanese have to die as a result of relentless Israeli bombings during the summer of 2006?

Why were over 60% of the casualties women and children?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:11 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,248,185 times
While some claim that we don't do enough for Israel and should do more here is a reality check.
U.S. Aid To Israel
Between 2009 and 2012 Israel will receive 11 billion in aid....
11 billion would go far in helping our nations homeless, or paying tuition for those who at this time can't afford college or trade school.
Bill to stop selling high tech arms to saudi. I agree 100% with this bill.
CARNEY: U.S. MUST STOP GIVING MILITARY AID TO SAUDI ARABIA - Rep. Carney (http://carney.house.gov/news/press-releases/2010/09/carney-us-must-stop-giving-military-aid-to-saudi-arabia.shtml - broken link)
Some have mentioned aid to Suadi Arabia.
No More U.S. Aid to Saudi Arabia? :: Daniel Pipes
Now compared to what Israel gets it is pretty small and it has been canceled repeatedly.

Last edited by tinman01; 11-29-2010 at 04:20 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Let's face it, the Tea Party is no threat to the Israeli Lobby. They'll fall in line just like everyone else does. President Obama had to schmooze their behinds just to get his foot in the door, and every U.S. president AFTER him and especially EVERY elected Republican will have to pledge allegiance to AIPAC. That's just how it is, and nobody is going to do a damn thing about it.
ALL of this, and the very achilles heel of DC, would be mended if money were not permitted to influence judicial weight of arguments based solely on merit. Our nation is strong rooted in truth, and weakened by corrupt influences usurping what was righteous & true for it's own self serving designs.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
I would like to see our monies spent here at home. I am all for helping Israel(in the private sector). I do believe that we as a nation, need to stop loaning or giving money away to other nations as a whole though. I wonder how much do we give away to other nations on a yearly basis? If we invested what we gave away, back to America, I bet that we would all be much better off. I say sell what we want to other nations, just don't give the damn stuff away......
It's not as if we have an actual choice in that matter. The reality is prior to this financial meltdown we were the worlds best customer but spiraling fast from trade disparity/ walmart dynamics having poor 'eat' the middle class coming and going (middle class jobs undermined, and middle class supporting bottom 5% through taxation). Having bottom and middle at each others throats yielded substantial profit to the top. There is no war of classes save for the undeclared war from the top putting poison in the ears of the masses.

After the financial terrorist attack (I see no evidence that it was accidental, that it was deliberate) we are not the worlds best customer. Wealth shifted off our shores is now in the position of being our best customer but it will pick and choose when and where, as economic sanction tactic, at what price and whom will be the primary beneficiary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies